Feeling Useless!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Approaching my 3 week post op tomorrow and having been active to the MAX before the op - on our farm - I am now climbing the walls with inactivity.  So far I feel well (apart from still bleeding).  Feel like I am nagging for chores indoors to be done.  I do light bits etc.. My hubby is flat out on farm and my son (18) works 7am-6pm off farm and comes home to cook! I am truly grateful but I feel completely useless.  I think my lot feel I should be "pulling" myself together by now..........  Sorry to moan xx

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You're not moaning it's hard not being allowed to do things we are used to doing I had my hysterectomy 14 months ago I'm going back to hospital to check that everything is still OK as I had cancer which luckily they caught early . You just have to take things steady and do what you can but don't overdo it I felt exactly the same even now I still find it hard lifting anything heavy and I had mine done by keyhole just take things slowly and don't do anything you shouldn't until the doctors say you can and never think you're moaning because your not . Lyn x
    • Posted

Hi Lyn, I also had cancer, grade 1A, I have to go for check ups every 6 months, is that what you have to do? I also have problems lifting heavy things, do you find your tummy complains (swells a bit) if you do? I lifted a bag of compost today and paid for it afterwards for about an hour, it's annoying. neutral
    • Posted

Yes I have to go every six months as well and I do find I swell a bit and ache 
    • Posted

I find it hard as my job is a courier delivering parcels all shapes and sizes to people's home and place of work and we have to take anything upto 15 kilos max I refused two yesterday that were 25 kilos each I couldn't even move them 
    • Posted

Yes I can see that would be a problem, I'm lucky in as much as I'm retired now,

I really don't know how any of you ladies cope with working as well

As trying to recover, I retired a couple of months before my

Diagnosis.

• Posted

I had three months off before I went back because of what I do but I wish I didn't have to do it but I've a few years before I can retire 
    • Posted

Thank you for hearing me out -  I had some pain last night in lower tummy - I have obviously done a bit too much. So went to bed early with hot water bottle and feel better this morning! Off to the GP for stitch removal and check over. x
    • Posted

Take care, and anytime you want to chat or moan you know where we are.

:0)

x

• Posted

Hi Phoebe,

I am 8 weeks post-op with Stage 1A as the culprit for surgery. I was thinking to take things easy till the 6th month but hearing comments from you and Lynn, give me a chill on the recovery process. I was given all clear to exercise at my 6-weeks post-op check-up. My onco gynae was laughing at me when I told him about abdominal swelling with comments "no such things" :-( .. Well, I just brush his comments aside. How bad is your abdominal swelling at 14th months when you carry something heavy? 

I am still having the muscle pulling sensation (i think is the round ligament) when I do some yoga stretching and after exercise. Sitting too long causes backache and tingling muscle sensation. My abdominal still swell slightly especially in the evening.

I need to go back to hospital every 3 months for review for the first 2 years. 

• Posted

Hi Sue, in the early days the infamous 'swelly belly' is horrid but as my surgeon explained to me it is your body's ways of protecting itself, it is similar to when you sprain your ankle and it cause swelling, it is the fluid that is protecting the joint, so when you lift something heavy your tummy is saying 'oh no you don't missus' and swells to protect itself, hope that makes sense, my consultant is absolutely brilliant and explains things carefully to me. I'm actually at 16 months now (the time has flowen past I thought I was only at 14) my tummy doesn't swell like it did in the beginning it just 'complain' a bit, I don't look 20 months pregnant with it as I did before, and it is worse in the evenings as it has always been.

I go for checks every 6 months for 3 years

Phoebe. x

• Posted

Please excuse the spelling and punctuation. redface
    • Posted

Wondering does exercise cause more swelling? I have been asked to exercise more but am afraid to overdo it. When I feel muscle pulling, I normally stop exercising for a while but then was thinking we need the exercise to strengthen the weaken and severed muscle from operation. 

Any comments from members?

• Posted

Well at first I only walked for 10 mins a day as I couldn't stand for long then I increased as the weeks went on till I went back to work
    • Posted

I was taking my dogs for short walks from day 1 out of hospital (15 mins or so) there is a private copse at the back of my house which I am allowed to use, I hate being cooped up, I was back to walking them properly at around 6 weeks (2 hours a day, half in morning half in afternoon) though I found it a bit difficult and tummy would complain bitterly, I hasten to add here that they weren't on leads so no fear of them pulling me, I wore light tummy support to help as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.