Feeling very alone, fed up......... started night sweats and have fibroids

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just typed a long message and it disappeared sad

I am nearly 46 and it has been two years since I started feeling not myself.  I went back and forth to the Dr with skin issues, swollen ankles, nausea, dizzy etc which were all knew to me. Around the same time I started treatment for emotional trauma and continue to wonder what things are perimenopause and what are anxiety.

Today I just feel so tired and alone.  I started night sweats two weeks ago, well not sweating just waking really really hot and I have missed a period and no signs of one coming.  I have an appointment with a gynaecologist this week to talk about multiple fibroids found on a scan in December.

I have been through major worry that there is more going on, I have had mid cycle pain, on and off bloating and digestive issues and wonder whether there is a cyst (they could not see on the scan as a fibroid was in the way) I had the scan because I had a couple of periods close together.  All last year my periods were different, gushing blood, not lasting long really and not as regular as before and my GP sent me for the scan just to check but said it was probably perimenopause that could go on for years - previous to that a GP told me my FSH was postmenopausal and I was at risk of osteoparosis and heart disease but the next test for FSH was normal.

So, I have just been managing and only went to the GP just to mention the bleeding.  I feel so fed up and the last thing I want is another vague situation with these fibroids or more tests when maybe they are all part of this transition and will reduce as my hormones do (which clearly they are as per my night heat).

I guess I have lost confidence in myself and taking care until this all passes and wondering whether I am missing something important with my health - my gut says I am not but really, I feel so vulnerable.  Not one medic has really listened to the whole situation and I feel I have so much changing, with the therapy and my hormones that I just want to crawl under a rock about these fibroids or anything else and just ride this out.

My GP's havent educated me on the menopause, can't really explain anything and I feel they can only help if I have a structural issue or want HRT, which I would rather avoid.  No counselling how to manage, what symptoms will ride their course and what to be watchful of - I feel in the dark and only forums have helped.

But today, I am fed up of it all and just want to hide.  The night heat maybe heralds the end of things or a new phase as the other issues seem to have gone and I was beginning to feel more 'stable'.  Maybe the fibroids are on their way out too.

Anyone else want to just ride this out but it feels a bit scary to do so and not jump to the doctors every five minutes or worry incessantly?  I feel so fed up on taking so much energy to manage all this stuff.

Thank you for listening

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Beetle, I had fibroids too 15 years ago, I had them since I was in my early 30s they run in my family, I finally had to have a hysterectomy because my periods were out of control, and they were growing larger. The fibriods run in my family, every woman has had them, cysts also run in my family too. So, I am not sure how your fibroids are doing, there are many women who use homeopathic remedies for it, some wait it out till after menopause and some have the surgery. Now, as far as perimenopause, I have found that every dr I have had is profoundly ignorant about our issues, especially men. As we speak now, I am going to start seeing a female Nurse Practiconer because the male doctors I have had while nice men and able to deal with other issues just only know the HRT and thats it. It sounds as if everything you are dealing with is a result of the peri, and yes its highly, highly frustraing and upsettting especially when your life was so good before. I would suggest looking for someone who has knowledge in menopausal issues. As far as this board, if it were not for the women here I would have lost my mind seriously, the many, many symptoms I had convinced me I was dying of a horrible illness mainly because most of us are only told about night sweats, hot flashes and maybe mood swings, I did not know about nausea, digestive issues, joint swelling, breast pain, anxiety, panic attacks, lumpiness in my shoulders, internal tremors, it goes on and on, but there are herbal and homeopathics that help, it does not help ASAP, and that is frustrating too, but over time it does help. I know other ladies have a lot to say.  I do go to the doctor about many symptoms probably I should go more, but I also have not gone on some issues because I do evaluate each one and if I know its peri related like the nausea I just drink the ginger tea, or the panic issues, I know its due to peri, but when I had the leg pain I did go to the E,.R thankfully it was a varicose vein issue,. I often if I am very worried will call the clinic and see what they say. Keep writing  we are all in the same boat and yes I feel scared a lot. 
    • Posted

Hi Lennie,

I am considering a partial hysterectomy because of my enlarged retroflexed uterus and fibroids. I'm just a little nervous about surgery, how did yours go. Did you do labroscopic or bikini incision? Any info would be so so helpful 😊😊

Thank you so much

Debbie

• Posted

Thanks for writing - the list of issues could be identical to mine, why don't they tell you!  It's good to read your strategy regarding when to see a medic or not.  I have been pretty much treating myself with homeopathic, changes in supplements, diet, excercise and accupuncture.  As you say, sometimes it helps and other times not, but I can say that symptoms do come and go (so far) so that is a plus point I guess.

Fibroids - well, I had one diagnosed at 30, I've also had a few burst cysts in my lifetime but never any further investigations and I did not have children, so I guess the current situation with my fibroids could have been there for a while.  I see the consultant this week and maybe they will scan again, the original ultrasound wasn't clear enough, too many to count!  eeeek  I will keep writing

• Posted

I had the partial, they took one of my ovaries too because it was very weird looking it had hair teeth, just yucky, so glad they took it. It was SOOOO much better when they were gone, OMG< i felt so much better. the recuperation was painful but afterwards really happy, no more periods, no more preganancy, it was great.  i="" felt="" so="" much="" better.="" the="" recuperation="" was="" painful="" but="" afterwards="" really="" happy,="" no="" more="" periods,="" no="" more="" preganancy,="" it="" was="">
  • Posted

Hi Beetle,

You are not alone in this by any means. It is completely overwhelming frustrating and scary. Just this morning I was crying thinking "I'm all alone in this and I have no one that understands what I am really facing every single day I wake up". This forum helps a lot. The women are so encouraging. We are all in this awful transition together. I too have an enlarged retroflexed uterus and 9 fibroids 😜. The 3 largest are 3.5cm, 3.4cm and 2cm. Not sure what I'm going to do about it. The last two years have been pretty hard with peri symptoms and back, hip, leg and sciatica pain from fibroids and uterus. Going to get my hormones checked again and also another ultrasound to check fibroids and uterus size. Like you my last FSH levels stated I was entering menopause. That was a year ago. I had no idea perimenopause and menopause would be this awful. Keep reading this forum and posting for advice and encouragement. Take Care of yourself 😊

Debbie

• Posted

It is so good to read your words, overwhelming, frustrating and scary - not that I wish that for you but because I really don't feel so alone reading them.

I think I also have a retroverted uterus, mentioned a few times when smears are tricky.  I have also had cysts and a fibroid diagnosed 15 years ago, but no one said I ought to check on things.  I have a feeling all these issues for me are a sign or ongoing hormonal imbalance or at least a tendancy to one as perimenopause came upon me.  Fibroids like estrogen I hear!

I have also had sciatic type pain but it comes and goes, now I know the fibroids are there, I suspect it was those pressing on things.  However, all pains go away and are cyclical, so I really do see how hormone fluctuations effect the growth or not of the fibroids.

Did your doctor recommend a watch and wait scenario with the fibroids?  This is what I am hoping will be possible, I really want to try and see if my hormones/periods are infact diminishing and then maybe avoid surgery but on the other hand if they are likely to grow and cause more troublesome symptoms then I might need to act.  It's a really frustrating turn of events.

Thank you for writing

• Posted

Yes my doctors are on the wait and watch method because they think I'm close to menopause. I will be 49 in April and average age is 51. So I the mean time I get ultra sounds every three months. They are leaving the option of removal of my uterus up to me, depending on my pain level. I really don't have a problem with anemia or flooding. I am just taking it month by month. I like you eat a very clean diet since fibroids do like estrogen. All organic, lots of fruits and vegetables, no sugar chocolate , coffee ,salt or gluten. Eat protein every two hours to avoid the jitters and a meltdown. Try to walk an hour a day. Take lots of vitamins and supplements. Also I love acupuncture. Still have bad days but like you I know these other things have to be helpful

Debbie 😊

• Posted

Debbie, your last sentence is exactly my view, I had NO Idea perimenopause would be this horrible, I go in between being angry that we were not told. I just dont understand why so many of us were blindsided by this, it is really a boat full of crap.
  • Posted

I feel your pain. I too was worrying myself, and after not having a period since last July, then getting one in December, and having thought I'd never have one again, I was convinced that between the bleeding and a persistant backache that I was convinced there was something wrong with me. I made multiple appointments with my gynecologist, alternately making them and canceling them as I tried to determine what my "symptoms" meant.

I finally went a few weeks ago, and the doctor of course sent me for an ultrasound, after telling me that it's likely nothing but a recurrence of my period. I wish she'd have mentioned this as a possibliltiy when I went for my yearly exam back in October. The ultrasound came back fine, just a couple of small fibroids that she said are nothing to worry about, and of course I have had another period, this one much heavier than the previous one. 

It would be nice if there was more solid information regarding these life changes for women. Googling symptoms will do nothing to allay anyone's fears, and doctors don't seem to have a lot to say on the topic. I now know that I could have sporadic periods for years to come, and beyond keeping track of them I'm not going to pay them a lot of mind unless I have other problems to go with them. I'll keep going to my yearly checkups, and let the doctor know then how I'm faring then.

• Posted

Oh goodness I can really imagine what you went through in the thought process with the periods coming back.  The amount of time managing our heads and decision making process as to whether to act or not is incredible.  It's almost a full time job!

Your strategy to monitor and keep going sounds good and hopefully I can continue to do that - words here are helping me stay afloat. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Beetle1965

about 20 years ago i had my womb ovaries & half my cervix removed due to systs on my ovaries plus excessive bleeding every month .. i was put on HRT this year they are weaning me off of it .... i feel very low & tired i have swollen ankles & trouble sleeping ... it seems im just starting my menapause which i didnt no was going to happen sad im 53 now .... my mood swings are awfull im angry at everone even me which sounds stupid when i say it here .... my psoriasis symptoms have escolated its everywhere ... im sore itchy & very uncomfortable ... i feel very down which i hadnt been prior to reducing the HRT .... i wish i hadnt ever been on it as this would have been over by now .... i guess we all have different symptoms & suffer in our own way ...im going to look at foods to help relieve my symptoms .... i dont have fibroids that i no of .... i hope everything gets sorted for you ..... Dawn x

• Posted

Hi Dawn - that sounds tough to be having menopausal symptoms all in one go sad  Despite my tiredness of all of this I have definately been helped by increasing protein, taking a better multi vitamin and regular accupuncture.  I've also tried to increase my activity levels.  I am certain I would be in a worse place without these things.  Good luck with the food changes. x
    • Posted

Hi Beetle1965

it sounds like you are on the right track with the vitamins & protein i wll give it ago ... i walk my dogs most days which helps ... iv never tried accupunture so will look into that .... i wish you well & thank you x

• Posted

I agree with what all these women have said. I really don't have word for how scary it all seems. Thank you for sharing. I feel exactly the same as you.
  • Posted

There is light at the end I to have so many symptoms from chest pain that caused me to go to the hospital panicking that I was having a heart attack have had upper Gi nothing was found. Acid reflux that feels like a heart attack breast pain stomach pain the dizziness comes and goes. My doctor finally put me in a patch which has lightened the symptoms and Valium for those moments where the panic is above and beyond. It's all about the hormones I also take magnesium b complex vitd Zantac for stomach problems. My doctor doesn't talk much just says I need mental health counseling to deal with anxiety. I feel she isn't listening. There are so many girls on this site that have the same symptoms that it's a relief to hear from all of them
    • Posted

Misty, oh my word, my doctor told me the same thing that I needed to get mental health too, he looked at me like I was really crazy, I told him about everything and my anxiety, and he just said I can give you medication for it.
    • Posted

I think this forum is my mental health counseling if you know what I mean !!! We all relate and heal each other
    • Posted

Misty most my emails now are from this forum, either CFS menapause or benefits problems. Yes it is our mental health forum indeed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.