Feeling wired on fluoxetine help is this normal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

This is my 6th day on 10mg of fluoxetine. Day 1-5 i was so so tired and spaced out but tgen today i have wokeup feeling like i am on speed. I feel anxious and have palpitations but feel like my mind is going a million miles an hour. I no it sounds silly but i keep singibg in my head an literally cannot turn it off. Can any1 tell me is this normal? I have been reading about mania on antidepressants and i have scared myself xxx

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi star586

Don't worry your not on your own with how you feel, I started on 20mg then 40mg Now I'm on 60mg...

This is my 3rd month on it, and at first when I was given the drug, my doc warned me to do my best and get through the first two weeks as it's going to be tough, and it was, just like you feel, wen I was in to my 6th day I was on here asking for help, as didn't think I could stand another day with how I felt... BUT every one on here more or less said the same, it's way to early to see the results at its best, just grit your teeth and keep going...

I think with all of us, we don't want to wait another day, we want it working now... but you know what, at the moment I'm just starting to feel good ( other then going through menopause ) so for ME it was worth sticking it out, but it's not for every one as we are all different what is good for one person, may not help another.... but all I can say try and give it ago, don't give up to early on this drug, if 2/3 month it's not for you at least uv tried ...

Good luck to you, and I feel for you as I know how it feels, and what your going through..🤗X

• Posted

Thankyou so much i really appreciate any input. I have been suffering badly with anxiety and depression since having my baby she is 1 now and things atent getting better. I tried other ads but had bad side effects but think i was giving up too soon on them. Can i ask how long it took you for the anxiety to wear iff? Also do you know if it is normalto keep having songs stuck in ur head? Xxx 
  • Posted

Hi star

Bless you, must be hard with baby too, I look after my grandson two days a week and that's hard when you feel the way we do....

Iv been on other meds to, I was on trazadone for 14 year, then it seem to stop working for me, then I was tried on mirtazapine, but for me that was alfull as it's known to put weight on you ( to which I was not told at being ) and the worse with that was the alfull nitemares😩 Oh my god they just keeped getting worse and worse 4/5 each nite that would wake you crying....

So I came of them on my own will, and then on to Prozac ....

Right don't be put off by how this drug works BUT it could take you up to 8/12 weeks b4 you see how good it works for you😧.. it's a very slow progress with this meds, so please, please just bear with it, I was just like you on the 6 day, and then when some one on here told me that it could take up to 3 month to settle down, I throught there was no way I could hang on in there and wait that long, I felt that I was in a black tunnel, and I couldn't see the light at the end of it, couldn't sleep through anxiety and agitation, your mind plays games with you, if there was a switch to turn the thinking of, I would have felt better lol....

We all have different side effects to this drug, but think it's just your mind working over time bless you, so don't worry with the singing or how your mind is, as it will calm down when your body adjust to the meds ...

6 days is way to early for this med to work for you, sorry ...

10mg is a very low dose as well, so your depression will still be there more... try and keep going, I know it's easy for me to say that, but you will start to get better around 6/8 weeks was for me, but I was on 20mg, some say even 12/14 weeks b4 they felt better, so each one of us are different , keep looking on this site, even if it's just to talk about how you feel, to help you get through those early days,..

I feel good now and glad I  gritted my teeth and carried on ... like you said you prob stop to early, but you have give it longer or you will be trying all the meds out there lol, each of the meds you go on will all have some side effects untill your body get use to them..

Good luk, you will get there, I'm here if you feel you need to talk or you can email me privet if you ever feel that your not coping with it all, big hug 🤗X 

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your kind words dawn. At the min i feel either spaced out or so so anxious i just hope it passes soon. From your experience does10mg ever work for anyone? I dont really want to increase xxx
    • Posted

Rrrrr bless you, don't increase you meds if you don't want to, at the end of the day it's your choise....

I'm not a doc to say that 10mg is good for you, but I would of thought your doc knows you, and if it will help you at all....

After a while you will get some Benefit from 10mg I'm sure, so don't give in just because your on a low dose... just take each day as it comes and think, well maybe tomorrow will be the day that I feel good....

And b4 you know it, the time goes by and it will start to work, its such a slow working drug, but good in the end, so just try to bear with it, and if you are struggling go and see if there's some thing just to help with your feelings, but I think doc would say just bear with it while Prozac gets in to your symptom, that's what my doc said to me ...

There is herbal remadies you can get yourself if feel the need, and some times these take the edge of things...

I so do hope you feel good soon, keep up the good work, take each day as it comes for now....

But if you really can't cope then do go and see the doc...

Just remeber the first two weeks of this drug can be like hell on earth, and you just think it will never work, but get pass those two weeks and see how you go...

Please keep in touch and let us know how things go, don't sit there dwelling on things, as they say it's always good to talk, and me and every one eles on here are here for you.. 

do get in touch if you are struggling along, u can bend my ear any time as long as helps you, even if just a little 🤗X

• Posted

Dawn u r so so lovely thank you from the bottom of my heart. 1 wk is aost dobe so i will defo hold out at least another week xxxxx
  • Posted

Hi Star , its early days yet so don't panic too much! The side effects should wear off by two weeks , see how you are then. Hopefully you will begin to feel better , but if your still feeling weird go back to your gp, for a chat , xxx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply pam yes i will hang in there for the two weeks and see how i am then hopefully the anxeity subsides soon xxx
  • Posted

Keep going, takes a while to work, research Flux it will explain why....keep it up Hun, u will feel better soon, it’s a process ..😘

• Posted

Hi angie thank you for your reply. I will try to keep it up just feeling pretty rubbish. Also been having horrible nightmares xxx
  • Posted

That's OK Star!! Where all here together and help share our experience of floux xxx

• Posted

Had an awful night pam. Did you have nightmares at first? Xxx
    • Posted

Hiya star586

Hope the days are getting some what better, still very early for you yet, just try to remember the first two weeks can be really rough on you, so stick that out and then see how you go...

As for nitemares I have never had them with fluoxetine at all, and I'm on 60mg, so may just be a faze you are going through at the moment... just keep going as best as you can, or try and see the 14 days out... good luk, u will get there 🤗X

• Posted

Thank you dawn. Today is day 8 iv got nausea and i keep getting pain in my left arm kinda like it feels really weak xxx
    • Posted

Bless you.... I really do understand what you are going through, it seems as tho every possable aliment you wil get, all through your body, the days are endless and you will feel that you can't cope with another day, I was like that at first, then I had to try and think, that tomorrow could be the start of the good days to come...

BUT please see your doc if you get to worried about the symptoms u are getting, even if it's to put your mind at rest, and be reassured it's just your body getting use to fluoxetine, I must admit that this drug is the only one that as given ME side effects like your having.. my others antidepressant was plane sailing to take...

Keep in touch and I do hope you will get some benifit from fluoxetine, but remember not all meds suit the same people, but just give it the two weeks,  and if u are still as bad then you can decide what you wish to do..

Lots of hugs 🤗X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.