Feeling worse after 6 weeks on Fluoxetine.....is this normal??

Posted , 38 users are following.

Hi

​I started 20mg fluoxetine 6.5 weeks ago, and increased to 40mg 2 weeks ago.  I am starting to feel worse the past few days, anxiety is awful, low mood and no energy at all.  Is it normal to feel this at this point? as I thought I would be improving, not getting worse.  Should I stick it out or come off?

​Any advice would be much appreciated.

​Donna xx

0 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Donna, yes this normal especially after you've increased the dose, you get some side effects again, I've been on 40mgs almost 5 weeks now, after increased from 20 at 10 weeks, and it still hasn't settled for me, though I've been on it before so it takes longer, I do get some really good spells, and then the symptoms come back again, which has happened this week, bad morning anxiety which is so awful! But I know these meds work they just take a long time and can be very up and down in the first week weeks/ months so just hang in there x

• Posted

Hi Karen

​Thank you for this reply.  This gives me hope that things will improve in time.  I dont understand though why I am still having these affects 2 weeks after increasing the meds, as I read that it usually only lasts a few days? I had a meltdown at work today, tears the lot....but I must say i actally feel better for it.  Well, a little better anyway.

​Donna x

• Edited

Hey, if you read through the posts on this forum you'll see that this med takes a good few weeks and often months to fully work with ups and downs all the way, it's because you have to wait for the receptors in your brain to accept the increased seratonin instead of fighting it by shutting down - which is what causes the increased and intermittent anxiety, so for now just try to accept its short term pain for long term gain, and try to cope with it through relaxation, excercise or therapy by coming on these forums - that's what I'm doing anyway x

• Posted

Hi Donna,

I was reading this post from last year and was wondering how everything worked out for you? I’ve been on flu for 4.5 weeks total now on both 10mg and now 20mg. Last few days have been a struggle. Sad thoughts, high anxiety and not enough sleep. I recently went back to work after months away and it’s been so difficult getting in a groove again . Most days I want to quit but i don’t. Things I took for granted are now so hard to do like driving in traffic etc. I hope this med worked for you. Any feedback would greatly help me. Thanks 

• Posted

Hi Danny how are you doing I'm just starting on day 6 of 10mg of fluoxetine feeling more anxious these last 2 days I so hope it improves it's a struggle

• Posted

Hello, yes it’s a struggle. I’ve been much better lately but I know it comes and goes. I expect that all side effects like headaches will be gone in the next 2 weeks. Stay positive. I suggest increasing to 20mg around day 14. Best of luck! Any questions pls don’t hesitate.
    • Posted

Hi Danny how are you still struggling at the moment it's tough I'm just laying around plus the sweating don't help

• Posted

Hi Danny did you're anxiety increase and feeling you don't know what to do with yourself it's so tough I'm on day 13 x

• Posted

Hang in there. Yes the first 4 weeks were up and down for me. But now around week 6  I’m finally feeling close to normal as ive been in months.  Hang in there i promise it will start taking full affect very soon.  There are days the anxiety is higher than others but Around week 5-6 you will  see a huge change. Best of luck!
    • Posted

Thanks Danny I'm only on 10mg at the moment don't think I will increase my dosage yet got an appointment Friday with the docs it's just these side effects are so hard where you sweating a lot and feeling more anxious and jittery thanks x

• Posted

Yes I know the feeling. It comes and goes and it will eventually be gone. I recommend going to 20mg at the 14 day Mark. I did it and it helped.
    • Posted

Thanks I hope you don't mind me messaging you it's just a comfort knowing there are other people out there going through this did you have more side effects from upping your dose

• Posted

No problem. Anytime. The side affects were the same. The jitters or tremors were bad but like I said they went away at week 5. Hang in there and don’t let it worry you. It’s common. 
    • Posted

Hi Danny, I just need some reassurance as my anxiety is through the roof at the moment. I am 4 weeks into taking 20mg tablets but am feeling more anxious than ever. Is this normal? 
    • Posted

I have the exact same as you hun. You feel so alone and feel like you are fighting it on your own but it will go. I am 4 weeks into taking my tablets and am so anxious it’s frightening. What mg are you on? 
    • Posted

4 weeks! That’s great news. Means that any day you will feel so much better you won’t even believe it. I started to turn around around week 5-6. Be patient. You’re almost there. I’m on week 7-8 now and have no anxiety anymore. You can do it!
    • Posted

I am in Essex at the moment and the doctor i am seeing down here isn’t my doctor.. he is trying to move me onto citralopram because he feels like I shouldn’t be suffering so much anxiety much anxiety this far in on these. I have tried telling him that I had these symptoms the last time I took them and that it took me a while to adjust to them.  Do You think I should change or stick it out? 
    • Posted

Good Morning.

I think you should stick it out. It took me 4-5 weeks to stop the shakes and anxiety. Now I rarely get it anymore. If U start something new you’ll have to wait weeks until those side effects go away. Hang in there. 

• Posted

Hi Danny I hope you don't mind me messaging...I've been on fluoxetine 5 days and today has been my worst so far,anxiety getting worse&feel really tired a couple of hrs after taking it,but the worst thing is the nausea....when will it end.

• Posted

Hello,

Yea it’s normal specially around around day 3 and up. Stick with it believe me these side effects go away. May take 3-4 weeks but it’s worth the wait. I had nausea until week 5.  It’s gone completely now. 

• Posted

Thankyou&I'm definitely going to stick with it,it's just a struggle at the min....I've no appetite at all&lost a bit of weight,the mornings are worse,I tend to pick up around mid day but today I feel like I've a really bad hangover.

• Posted

Completely normal. I lost weight too but now I’m eating like a pig haha. It will normalize soon. Remind yourself that  there’s nothing wrong, this is the normal course of action of this med. it’ll get better soon!
    • Posted

Also as for the nausea, make sure to drink lots of water daily.
    • Posted

Hi Danny, have you got a contact number I can WhatsApp you on as a reassurance thing? No problem if you don’t give your contact details out I am just struggling with this anxiety at the moment and feel talking to someone would possibly help me get through this. X
    • Posted

07375372093. I think for people struggling with this at the moment it’s good to have other to fall back on as a lot of people around me don’t understand my symptoms. Thanks again x
    • Posted

Hi Katy,

Sorry you’re going thru this. I prefer keeping it here.  Have you considered something to help w anxiety? I take gabapentin at night and I’ve been very happy with it. Allows me to rest at night and helps w mood. I would ask your doctor tomorrow. Also Xanax or similar as well if you can get it. I know it’s very tough but remind yourself that it’s temporary and the Prozac is working itself in your system. Soon you’ll be so comfortable you won’t even believe. 

• Posted

Hi Danny..sorry for not replying but I've just felt so ill,I'm on day 7&really struggling &even thought about coming off them,sickness is terrible,sweating all the time&a really bad taste in my mouth,didn't sleep at all last night with the sickness is it all normal side effects

• Posted

Hello,

Sorry you are going thru this. First 4 weeks the side effects are at its peak while your body gets used to this med.

Nausea, headaches, lack of appetite, sleepiness etc are all normal side effects. I would say stick with it and tell yourself that it will ge better. Helped me greatly but took 5-6 weeks.

• Posted

Hi katy im not on fluoxetine now the doc took me off them after 2 weeks as i was feeling awful im only on propanalol at the moment but neec to find something else soon how are you xx
    • Posted

hello, last night i had the worst anxiety episode until now , its my 4 week i was taking 20mg and am going to increase today up to 40mg as the doctor said . yes there are ups and down and i know that it will work cause i can tell that is trying to work. danny370 your special , your comment gave me more strength to hang on , thank you!

• Posted

Hi I found this post as I am feeling desperate...I was on lexapro for years and always felt really good on it. About six months ago had a massive breakdown then realised with my Dr lexapro was no longer working for me. Since then they have tried me on effexor, zoloft and now I have been on prozac for 4 weeks but my depression and anxiety is so much worse. I was told to increase in week 4 which I have to 40mg but just feel so out of control I don't know what to do. Should I keep perservering with this drug???

• Posted

Hi Amanda

I know you are desperate right now because like you I was in the same position. I do still have periods of anxiety/depression but the medicine does work it just takes like 3-4 months to notice a difference. Then all of a sudden you will realize you havent been thinking about it or stressing it. It comes in waves like a hour here and there. Look up Katecogs she helped me sooo much! prayers your way. I know its an awful experience.

• Posted

oh yeah! Each time I increased my dose the side effects started all over. Maybe give it a little more time then see about upping.

• Posted

Hi. I'm on the 12th week of taking fluoxetine. After the first 4 or 5 weeks I felt great

Now I feel worse than before I started them. I suffer with anxiety and ocd but not the cleaning one. I'm really struggling. Just wondered if you think it's normal after 12 weeks. Some wow are saying it is some are saying it should have kicked in by now. What's your thoughts. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.