Feeling worse after 6 weeks on Fluoxetine.....is this normal??

Posted , 38 users are following.

Hi

​I started 20mg fluoxetine 6.5 weeks ago, and increased to 40mg 2 weeks ago.  I am starting to feel worse the past few days, anxiety is awful, low mood and no energy at all.  Is it normal to feel this at this point? as I thought I would be improving, not getting worse.  Should I stick it out or come off?

​Any advice would be much appreciated.

​Donna xx

0 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Donna,

yes I think it is normal, the increase is a little like starting the drug all over again - the side effects are there. I would recommend that you stick it out, give it some 12 weeks to feel better, and hopefully also after 8 weeks or so you will start getting some good days too. I know it is so discouraging when one feels worse taking the medication than before it, it makes such little sense, but sometimes they make you feel worse before you get better. I am happy I stuck with mine, now at 10 weeks I am feeling much better, not perfect or 100% recovered but I would say already better than before the meds. Of course blips are still there sometimes, but I am hopeful. Have you had any good days yet or at least couple of hours or so during some days? When is the anxiety the worst? Mine was always the worst in the mornings, afternoons I started feelling little calmer in weeks 5-6.

Luci x

• Posted

Hi Luci,

?It sounds like you are feeling better today, which I'm very pleased to hear!

?The thing I don't understand is why Im feeling worse everyday 2 weeks after the increase, as I thought it would be getting better after a week of increase?  Even my mood is low, I burst into tears at work today as my workload is horrendous, but I did actually feel slightly better afterwards and my collegues were very supportive and understanding.

?I think I am going to try and hang in there for at least 12 weeks of taking these meds, as you suggested.  I'm so glad I have found this forum as I have nobody else I can talk to that truely understands how I'm feeling.

Donna xx

• Posted

2-3 weeks after an increase is usually when side effects start to kick in... it is perfectly normal. Just push thru them knowing things will slowly improve over time.
    • Posted

There is nothing to understand, it's how this medication sometimes works, it makes you feel worse before you get better. If you try to read a little about how SSRIs actually work, what changes they are making in the brain and how confusing it is to the brain at first too, it could help you to make more sense of it - it certainly helped me...in short the brain is confused too with these new serotonin levels that it does not produce but it takes the brain long time to understand what it needs to do...it even temporarily stops producing its own serotonin (because getting it externally from the meds but it thinks it is its own) and that is what causes the low moods, until the brain learns again that it still needs to produce its own...for everyone the process is different but in most cases it just takes time....

Happy to hear you will still give it a go, it is really too early after the dose increase, you will get better eventually!!! smile

And good that your colleagues are supportive. We all need to ask for help sometimes and there is no shame in being vulnerable at times. Everyone is.

Yes the forums are amazing. I am so grateful too. I would feel completely crazy if I didn't have others for support and knowing they go through the same.

Luci xx

• Posted

Hi looking forwards- hope all is well? When did you see improvement after increase to 40mgs? I'm almost at 5 weeks after increase and have had some good weeks but the past couple of weeks have been pretty tough, especially with anxiety and the night sweats have come back..still hanging in there but need a bit of encouragement x

• Posted

Thank you lookingonwards, this makes me feel better knowing i should hopefully improve and its just the side effects of the increase :-) xx

• Posted

Thanks Luci,

?You're advise and support is helpine me get through these difficult days so much.  My husband doesn't have much sympathy/patience with me, not because he's a bad person, just because he doesn't understand as he is a very laid back, worry free person (the opposite to me)!! so I'm just glad I can speak to people on here that have been there or are going through the same thing.

?Donna xx

• Posted

I can not remember but it was for sure longer than 5 weeks.. more like 12 weeks or more. Even now after about 9 months of being on them I still have a random blip day.. keep on with them though... one day you will just realise that you are not even thinking about the tablets and living life! Night sweats sound hormonal...
    • Posted

Thanks LF, had a really good day today so hopefully the good days will soon outweigh the bad 🙂 There would be no rainbow without rain!

• Posted

As my Doctor says... even when these tablets have settled you could still have a bad day or 2 as it is part of being human. The difference is you will shift from them and realise they are just a crappy day.
    • Posted

I understand what you are saying Donna. Not everyone understands what we are going through. Also for men as our partners it is frustrating because their natural tendency is to want to help and they feel powerless in this case and it is hard for them too...they always just want to give you solutions and don't understand that just patience or talking or being there is the help. I have also learned with my friends who I can talk to about this and who not...some people just have no capacity to understand, they think it is just a matter of having to make more effort to 'cheer up' or get busier not to think about the lows, and it is not so simple, and then I feel even more like a failure if I cannot take their advice on! So these forums are really helpful, to talk to people who go through the same and understand. I am grateful for it. smile

• Posted

Yes Luci I completely agree! unfortunately my husband and family don't understand and think I should "just pull myself together" but like I told them, if it was that simple nobody in the world would suffer from anxiety/depression.  Unless you've been through it, nobody understands and that's why this forum is such a help to me. xx

• Posted

Hi lookingonwards, hope all is well, I just wanted to ask if you can remember getting palpitations/ tremor / slight ringing in the ears after you went up to 40mgs? I'm starting to notice this more as it's been really troublesome in the past week along with a crash in mood,been feeling nauseous all day as well, just seems at the moment I'm experiencing alternating good / bad weeks (I'm almost 7 weeks on 40mg now) and I'm getting worried out whether these are Prozac side effects or something else, could well be hormonal too as that can also cause these symptoms, respect your opinion having been through this too! Thanks

• Posted

And I'm deffo not pregnant either!

• Posted

What age are you if I may ask?

Ringing in the ears on occassion....for sure nausea.. and heart pulps... especially when trying to sleep! The alternating good and bad is very very normal!! I had a blippy day on Friday even... but it has come good.. I knew it was just some stress from work.

Hormones are a huge part as well!

• Posted

Hi Donna, how are you doing these days?

I am 12 weeks now on 20mg and I have been quite well in the last few weeks, energy and enthusiasm coming back and anxiety only on some days a little but it is completely managable now.

Luci

• Posted

I'm 40 so hormones could well be the root of the problem for sure, especially when I recall that the times I wasn't ovulating due to pregnancy and breast feeding were when I felt the best! So I'm seeing a gynocologist this week to discuss the options, feeling a bit calmer today, slept well last night! even thou it's a rainy bank holiday and I've got 2 kids to entertain! Thanks for you reassurance, means a lot x

• Posted

Hi Luci,

?I got back from a 2 week holiday in Turkey last night.  I was not looking forward to it at all as I had been feeling so anxious and down, but I think it has done me the world of good and I feel much better.  Maybe its because the meds are starting to work, or maybe just the rest and change of scenery helped.  I still get anxiety in the mornings but not as severe.  My paranoia and OCD still has a way to go yet too, but I do think I have turned a corner and feeling much more confident.

?Thanks for thinking of me Luci.  I'm glad you are continuing to improve.....you have been so supportive to me throughout this awful time, and I am truly grateful.

Donna xxx

• Posted

Hi just after advice on day 6 never had any side effects until now last night of day 5 had an immense headache so uncomfortable today on day 6 I feel low can feel increase in heart rate making me feel panicky x I am on fluoxetine 10mg for my pms I really hope this helps me I can’t take no more x
    • Posted

Hi Leanne how are you I'm only on 10mg of fluoxetine on day 13 and it's a struggle the tiredness foggy head anxious and jittery so hope it gets better xx

• Posted

Hi, I am aware that this is an old post but just wanting to ask how you are with your anxiety now? I am 4 weeks into taking fluoxetine and I am feeling worst than ever. I am not managing to get any sleep and feel like I’m constantly not in my own body. Is this a side effect that you experienced? 
    • Posted

I am so pleased I read this comment and found this site at the early hours of this morning, laid awake with my heart racing. I have felt so unwell and nearly came off after feeling worse. This is a better morning and gives me hope that I need to stick with the medication. Thank you so much 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.