Feelings of doom and dread anyone ?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Does anyone else get these feelings of doom and dreading that you will never feel like your old , happy , healthy self again ? I don't even know if I am in peri , but at nearly 49 I think I must be . I hate this though as every time I think I am feeling happier and healthier it seems to all come back again .

3 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Jane and Janine I am 50 next month and have EXACTLY the same symptoms as you both do!!! I have them worse around mid cycle and also before a period, its like severe anxiety, wild thoughts and shaking. I have come to realise itnis hormonal and it probably would have started around 3 years ago. I dont get it every month, in fact I can go a while without getting it but then whammy, I'll get one out of the blue and usually its a real doozy. I thought I was going mad when they first started but this group has helped me realise that there are others around with these weird symptoms.
    • Posted

Hi patricia...i know what you mean....my worst week seems to be week 2....although this month it seemed longer. Even though my head is telling me its hormonal when I am in it I feel like its the end of the world and I am going to have a breakdown. It sucks. No one tells you its going to be like this. All the women I speak to just say they had a few flushes and that was it!!!

I do wonder if its a sensitivity to hormones though. I have been like it my whole life. I couldnt take the pill as it gave me headaches and weight gain. I had severe morning sickness with all 3 pregnancies. And I was postnatal. And what do these all have in common? HORMONES wink

• Posted

Oh...and I know about the wild thoughts and shaking.... i feel so panicked. ...its like I have had about 10 coffees. And I am caffeine free now (sob)
    • Posted

Yes it certainly sucks as no-one else I know has these over the top symptoms. It's really funny that you mention being sensitive to hormone changes within your body as I have Fibromyalgia and when these symptoms started I was convinced I was super sensitive to the hormone fluctuations. I tried a contraceptive pill last week. I got two pills into the packet & started to get a migraine so that's the end of trying to stabilise my hormone levels with the pill.
    • Posted

Omg that sounds SO frighteningly familiar!!! For me it lasts about 3 or 4 days and then it's like a switch going off and I am reasonably calm again, until the next exciting episode 😕
    • Posted

I know Patricia! Thats how I explain it....its like a switch....i can literally wake up depressed and anxious....and went to bed fine. I am so shaky anxious and flat...i feel overwhelmed. It usually lasts 2 or so days...although thats changing...and no amount of meditating or positive thinking helps. Then all of a sudden I am back....i even say to my husband i am 'back' again...its gone. Its like a cloud descending on me....and no matter how much I try to run it catches up. I hate feeling like this....i can't plan anything and I can't tell you how many times I have cancelled plans because 'it' is back.
    • Posted

I don't know whether this sounds really weird , but with this nausea it comes and goes , but the churning stomach seems to remain . It's when I begin eating that I begin to feel sick and come over all hot . It's almost like a phobia with food and if you eat you will be sick . It's weird . I will be like this for a few days sometimes a week then I'm back to normal again with a good appetite . Also different times of the month I seem to get the hot flushes and sweating . Does anyone have these sicky , weird feelings or should I be concerned ? I seem to be getting obsessed with it but I think that makes the symptoms worse .
    • Posted

I've tried valium, a couple of glasses of wine, rescue remedy, blowing into a paper bag, relaxation techniques but absolutely NOTHING has worked. Its like my body has been overtaken by some sort of alien chemical and I justbhave to wait it out until the switch has gone off again. It's awful. I have Hashimotos (Hypothyroidism) and am on thyroid replacement (thyroxine) and thought at first I was getting hyper but it sounds like it's definitely one of those odd Peri symptoms.
    • Posted

I don't think you should worry....if you can't eat much for a few says just try and eat what you can. Maybe you could take an anti nausea tablet those days....or gaviscon. And a probiotic may help too. When I have morning sickness I can't eat anything as I am so nauseous. That caused by hormones so it sounds the same thing with you. Try not and stress...the fact you can eat at other times makes me think its def hormones. X
    • Posted

Hi Patricia.....when I was pregnant I could literally feel the hormones surging through my body. I am not a vomiter but when pregnant wake up about 6 weeks in and throw up until about week 16. So I am obviously sensitive to the hormone changes that first trimester.I read that your body makes extra progesterone the first 3 months until the placenta kicks in and takes over. So is it progesterone I am sensitive to changes in? I feel like I am pregnant again....i can feel the hormones at certain times.....and it makes me want to pee all the time.....just like when you fall pregnant.

And I know what you mean......when you feel bad nothing helps.....meditation herbal tablets vitamins.....i just want to run away and curl up in a ball and cry. sad

• Posted

Hi Jane I get the sicky feeling then can't enjoy my food appetite go and come if I worry that does it for me get worst want to vomit what a nightmare for us all
    • Posted

Today I feel really low and depressed like I could cry at any time . I have no reason to be like this , the suns out its a lovely day , so why do I feel old this ? Could be pms I suppose as I am half way through my cycle . I just hate how these feelings come out of nowhere . I'm already on anti depressants , so surely my anxiety should be getting better . Is this all that my life has to offer from now on . My mum died coming up to a year ago on the 30th of this month , but surely my grief should be subsiding now . If only I could turn the clock back to just over a year ago , I was happy and healthy . You don't appreciate good health until it's gone . Take care ladies X
    • Posted

Hi Jane....i have days like that too. No reason but just feel flat and feel like crying. I definitely think your mums anniversary coming up will make you feel down too. Theres no time limit on grief.....you will still have down periods over time...but they will become less frequent and not as long. Let yourself grieve...don't fight it....its natural to miss her still. Take care and look after yourself x
  • Posted

Yes I feel doomed daily like today I been getting these weird feeling in my head like it's coming out of nowhere not sure if sinuses can make this happen or what then the anxiety kicks in like no tomorrow I get hot n cold then I have aches in my shoulders arms legs like something is wrong with me the aches that I feel is crazy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.