Feelings on how you feel after a gallbladder removal...

Posted , 9 users are following.

Experiencing terrible symptoms of diseased gallbladder. Tried natural route to see if I can heal and rid gallstones. But, had a major attack 2 nights ago, And feel crappy ever since.  I am resigning myself to getting the gallbladder surgery to remove it. I am tired of back pains, and rib pains. Really look for the good and bad of how people feel after.  I hope more positive then negative... I realize indigestion is some issue after, but at this point its a issue anyway..  So,  Go.... Write me some feedback~ Thanks

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

For me...

Good-

No more pain, nausea, dry heaving. No more of the BRAT diet. More energy and felt better literally overnight after the removal.

Bad -

The pain after the surgery (only lasted a few days and a few weeks of uncomfortable sleep)

Occasional bouts of loose stools, especially after certain foods

Some discomfort where my gallbladder used to be, especially after really greasy meals or alcohol.

But overall, I'm glad I had the surgery.

• Posted

I agree entirely with tommyboy  - I am so glad I got rid of mine it gave me a terrible time.   Only problem since is I do have to watch I don't eat too much fatty foods - gives me toilet problems but not so much pain.  Still it's good for my diet :-)   Go ahead with it and don't worry too much about it. 
    • Posted

its great to hear that brenda,and your are so positive saying its good for your diet. thanks for posting that as im scared myself but the pain is to much to suffer. 🌺
    • Posted

I am with you, the pains before when gb is not working right is life zapping
  • Posted

Everyone's experiences are different, but you have to decide what is best for you. Everyones bodies are different.
  • Posted

everyone is different and the ones who feel really well wont really be coming on a forum to talk abou it. its usually the ones who were on the forum before the removal and came back and told us about how they feel after the removal. i'v not had mine removed yet.even if you did go the natural way whats to stop more forming. all this pain is very wearing. if its so bad then what advice would you give someone else. i came because i was in such pain and scared as i knew nothing much about the gall bladder and i got plenty support. but we are all different and its like anything some people say they feel great in fact i have met more people outside of the forum who tell me that it was the best thing that they did.and not only that if you do decide there is an terribly long waiting list. so if i were you i'dget my name down asap as you can always change your mind if things were to improve.the pain is awful and it can get worse i will give you some advice now please dont lift anything heavy or stretch to much as i got a  hernia just stretching as the diseased part is rotten by the time we have symptoms and the parts that hold all the muscles into the stomach are very weak and easy to tear. i'v read about a few people geting herina after op. but i got mine now. so take it easy dear. im in so much pain that getting it out cant be any worse. iv got pain killers from the doctor which help so much. but i dont want to be addicted to pain relief. and feel so tired all the time. can only eat very small amount. we are all differnet as i dont get indigestion as such but a heavy feeling that the food is lying in my ribs. its not nice and i have to lie down for a sleep. i hope i have been some help  to you.try and get some pain releif from you doctor. i wish you all the best. cheeky. 🌺🌹
    • Posted

Actually Cheeky, I had nothing but positives and am here telling people.

It's important that people here both sides of the spectrum.

• Posted

Thank you Cheeky. I am in the states, The wait can be from a few days to a few weeks.  I am hoping I can be lucky and get in within a few days. Might be going to private surgeon, and thats quicker.
    • Posted

t your post above. very short one said same as mine we are all different. but its true people who dont have problems with pain dont go on forums thats what they are for and i also said i had plenty of support as well. so if someone says they have pain its not negative. its there truth. and there experience. they cant say all is well if it is not well. i also have had plenty of support until i heard from you
    • Posted

hey bud i put up with this for 5 months terrible pain doing the simple things where hard for me as the pain was tremendous

i have had it removed now 2 weeks ago and i have no pain but i have no energy jo enthusiasum no love for what i did before i feeling flat every day i have no energy im having to take naps even though my body dont really need them im noticing im sleeping alot more now than before i dont know the answers but my self i was ultrasounded by GP told i have Gaul stones and if i have another attack to goto ED well i said f that and kept on with my life changed my diet alot to accomidate

i never took meds or nothing still went through alot of pain

after 4 months nilly i gave up and went to ED within 5 minuets i was in the treatment rooms on morphine and the next evening i was in operation then the next afternoon under again for camera in mouth and down bial ducts to remove other stones

1 thing i did notice was due to trying to protect the GB i did strain my liver and pancreas and bruised them alot and same with the camera it bruised then alot as well

well all i can say is goto ED but relise life is different after

goto GP and get reg blood taken to check things as it will give idea of how to get back to normal after

hope this helps

GOOD LUCK TO ALL

• Posted

Before my GB was removed I experienced some terrible episodes with my gallbladder; the last one I had before the op I felt really ill.  By the next day I felt very sick and in the end I was sick; however, the meal I had eaten the previous day was not at all digested.  It was this episode that prompted me to finally go to my doctor who immediately diagnosed gallstones.  I had a scan, then a MRI scan, appointments with the surgeon then, finally, I had it removed last April.  Of course you experience post op pain, it's to be expected, but you can live with that.  I've had a few hiccups in that I wasn't careful with what I eat and had similar symptoms pre-op, but NOTHING like the pain I experienced before my gb was removed.  I get a stitch like feeling when I breathe in, and sometimes my back aches as it did before, but no where near as severe.   All in all I'm glad I had it removed.
    • Posted

Thank you Monday. I appreciate the positive!  I am hoping for a positive outcome too. I just have not felt well in 6 months. Its time to get back a better health. I can deal with some indigestion. I plan to consult with my natureopathic to get me on the right path of supplements to help all of it. 

• Posted

I had my op at beginning of November. I had a drain in after op but other than that just a little discomfort. It's almost been 2 months now. I had a little indigestion about a week after op but sipped warm water and it eased. Feeling great now. So glad I had it done pains were horrendous before op. I say go for it nothing as bad as gallstone attack

• Posted

I agree, 2 trips into ER is more than I want to experience , besides all the expense of return visits.  Its time to just get the diseased GB OUT!!  
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth! I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I had tried every natural solution I could find because I was terrified of surgery. But one night I had a massive GB attack that sent me to the ER and ended up having to have emergency surgery the next day.

I'm almost 3 weeks post op now and feeling great! I'm back to work and eating normally again without too much restriction( like others have said, super fatty foods are a no go)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.