feelings that you're loosing your mind?

Posted , 13 users are following.

So I have been posting and recently posted a message on here when I was on verge of panic attacks or whatever. I just want to know if other people constantly feel like you are loosing your grip on reality? My anxiety is getting worse before id have a panic attacl and that would cause me to be anxious for maybe a day or so and then id be back to normal now I can't remember the last time I had a normal day, I feel like im loosing the plot that im going mad. Its gone from being paranoid that im having a heart attack/stroke the point that I think im loosing it, over analysing anything I do questioning movements and thoughts and putting everything down to I think im going mad. Im constantly anxious on edge its a horrible gut feeling. I was very ill with flu last week and was bed ridden for 3 days I vouldnt eat due to sickness ive been ok for a week now but still cant eat I have no appetite the thought of food repulses me ive been having one snack a day since last monday over a week ago when I had a meal, is this because of the anxiety does anyone know? I have recently been to the doctors and I have been put on citalopram but im only a few days in to taking them so that could be a while nefore it kicks in. Does anyone have any advice on how to cope with thoughts?

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are definitely not alone, I have been dealing with panic and anxiety disorder and maybe a little bit of depression for the past 10 years. The doctor put me on fluoxetine 10 years ago. The last week I have had exactly what you are explaining I almost feel like I'm going to go crazy I wake up in the morning and I think well I'm alive when I wonder if maybe I'd be better off not waking up. And that's hard for me to come to because mine deathly afraid of dying, I do not have suicidal thoughts I will not harm anybody else that is not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is my thinking process is just so horrible right now I feel like I'm going to snapper like I'm in a go crazy sometimes I feel like what if it's a brain tumor it's just really hard to explain but I know exactly what you're going through. I'm a mother of three beautiful healthy children a wife to a wonderful husband I ask myself why am I feeling this way why? I would like to tell you we gets better because I've had wonderful days and I've gone a long time without having panic and anxiety attacks or these thoughts as far as that goes. But you are also going to have these like I have for you're going to go through it I am still suffering through it and reading these comments from other people kind of help me because I know I'm not going to go crazy or lose my mind or die. I have everybody telling me think positive think positive well it's hard to think positive all you're going through something so horrible, it's hard to explain to anybody that doesn't know what you're going through either. On top of the fluoxetine that I'm taking I also take Xanax as needed for when I have panic and anxiety and I've been taking a lot more than I usually do because of the way of been feeling lately... It will get better you have to let your medication at least work for two weeks I remember waiting and waiting and waiting and finally it started to kick in and work all the pressure medication takes about two weeks to start working just think positive I know it's hard and eyes I'm telling you this right now I feel hypocritical because my thought processes and positive it all. It will get better I will pray for you I'm sorry for any spell wrong words or bad punctuation I really stink at that I hope it helps God bless
    • Posted

Kari

I have also been suffering from the same thing for ten years triggered by a fall out with a family member.  Has anyone experienced a severe fall out with a sister and then gone into anxiety and depression.  I was saving up money in case no one can help me so I can get euthanized.  Its awful to even put it down in this post.  Like there is no rest or relief nothing gives me relief from the symptoms except medication which only seems to block it or numb it out.  I want to heal it let it go clear my chakras I try and nothing happens or its very litte.  Also graphic dreams.  I have been told this is past life as I did alot of letting go and healing in this one.  Does anyone have experience in healing past lives with this condition?  Any good chakra clearing meditations out there.  I read when your chakras are inbalanced and under and or over active these are the symptoms.  More energetic then mental.  I pray all the time.

• Posted

Yes i had a spell where the thought of food was terrifying and I also had this dread about going to bed,both lasted about 2 months,strange thing anxiety,expresses itself in many different ways,stick in their Liz,it will pass

At the mo I have very little anxiety,3 months ago I was invaded by it,I don't know what's happened but I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

Fear not Liz,well do your best.

Regards Malc

• Posted

Kari so sorry to hear of your troubles too thank you for taking the time to reply and explain how you feel, it really does help a bit to know you are not alone. Did your anxiety come on suddenly or was it gradual? I have a family too and a beautiful little girl soon turning 5 I have just started a career in a job I love it all was going so well now I have this. Im the same too Kari I dojt have suicidal thoughts I think part of my anxiety is being scared of death but im feeling so fed up as of recent I am struggling. The intrusive thoughts are hard to deal with since ive started with the anxiety, I used to be able to brush them off so easily! I have had a bad evening tonight, I have been throwing up for the past hour as I am so on edge and so fed up today gosh its so hard you really do feel like you're in a bubble. I just want to feel normal again!Malcolm its so great to hear you are going through a good patch and are feeling good its very nice to hear and also gives hope! So did you feel like you were loosing your mind at some points? Over analysing things you wouldn't usually think twice about? I really hppe these tablets start having an affect soon its so hard to cope. Liz
    • Posted

Liz, does it ever get better? I am feeling THE SAME EXACT THINGS you described here, or am I just destined to lose my mind
    • Posted

Yes it gets better. It absolutely does! You still get panic attacks but you know whats happening. Watch some videos on utube in the science of a panic attack so you understand whats going on inside you. Cbt for anxiety is very useful they sell cbt workbooks in line or get real sessions with a counselor
  • Posted

My anxiety almost always comes on suddenly,it's very scary.. The first time I had an attack I was driving my oldest daughter to school and bam I felt like I was going to black out,heart rate up to 250,dizzy,lightheaded, shaking,the ambulance had to come get me.. Then I would get a few "littler" ones and then bam a couple years later big whopper,went to the er.. I asked my dr for a ct scan cuz I was so convinced I had a brain tumor,thank God my brain was normal... I have had 2 ct scans,ekg's blood work everything... And it all comes back normal thank God... Even after all the testing I still have anxiety,I still think I am losing my mind,going crazy,that I'm a mental case.. It sucks sooo bad,I have great days and I have off days. Lately I have been suffering from the "head" part of anxiety... I think not only did taking meds help me but I also talk to someone who teaches me relaxation technics, I always thought I was weak minded or I was crazy or I'm going to be put on a mental word,that is not it at all,we suffer from a lack of serotonin.. We are strong,smart,and just as normal as ppl without anxiety.... I really like talking and hearing other ppl story's because it makes me feel like I'm not alone....

Kari

• Posted

You last part about reading other people's story's you've just done the same for me

• Posted

Thus is helping me do so much. I've posted threads about how I've been feeling and getting no response. But my mind has gone insane I can't go anywhere but bed. It's horrible and scaring me so so bad... I'm convinced I'm going to have an anurisim or have a brain tumor or lesion bease of headaces and head pressure, pressure behind my nose, neck pain. The lot. I feel sick to my stomach convinced I'm going to die any moment. Afraid to sleep. I genuinely just want to be in the hospital ward even the phyc ward at this point. Doctors give the most patranising look too! Like you'd think they were educated on mental health. 😣 Im so ready to go to the insanity ward.. Eugh.

• Posted

Yes me too it really does help, I don't know about you but my partner really doesn't understand at all, I do feel for him because he has to deal with me and the change in me recently it must be difficult for him too but its hard when you really just want to talk to someone and for them to understand what you are saying. Theres the telephone lines but I don't really like the thought of speaking to someone on the phone. Do you have people you speak to? And aew you in any sort of councelling atm? My gp has referred me to a psychologist bit I am waiting to hear from them. I know what you are going through with thinking something is seriously wrong with health the first major attack I had I was in a and e as I was new to feelings and was determined I was having a stroke as my grandmother had them (thought process of skipping generations and all that) a n e wasnt very helpful once they had done ecg and everything was fine in that sense the doctir sent me home with nothibg futher apart from saying I was 'hyperventilating' I felt embarrassed and ashamed for wasting their time but it all felt so real! I would of been in a n e again last week aa I waa 100% determined I was dying then but my partner managed to stop me. Did it give you any benefit knowing it wasn't something serious? What sort of relaxtion techniques would you recommend? I am lucky if I have a good hour recently id love a full day of feeling normal! Your last comment really comforted me Kari it is great to hear someone say that. Its really been on my mind all everning that I am going to get put in a home or something worse hence the sickness it is good to know that other anxiety sufferers feel this too! Thanks for replying. Liz
  • Posted

My husband is complete opposite from me,in the beginning he was scared for me cya we didn't know what was going on,my dr tells me that we equal one another out,I'm anxious and he is laid-back,my husband will try to tell me and reassure me there is nothing wrong but it doesn't help me much,when you are going threw it,it is almost impossible to relax,breath,or take anything you learn from anyone into consideration because your so focused on this attack,and how you feel you are going crazy,or are going to die... When I feel anxious or have an attack I will take a Xanax 0.5 and after about a half hour it will help....

There is no reason what so ever your dr shouldn't refer you to someone to talk to.... It helps so much... In the beginning you feel kind of embarrassed,but by like the 3rd time going I was so comfortable.. I also have a aunt who suffered from the same thing but doesn't anymore,she said ones in a great while she will have one but she can identify it and know... That is what I am trying to work for....

If you ever want to email me feel free it's nice to know there is someone else with you smile

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these. If you want to exchange email addresses please use the message service.

• Posted

Don't stress too much, you are not the only one out there....and also, don't be afraid to think.."I'm not alright...I need help." I searched the internet tonight with this- "i feel like i am losing my mind" written in the google search bar...as i have read the comments listed on here..I too am blessed, I have a wonderful wife...a loving kitty...a relationship with God...if i can just conquer this...I will have a bright future. I just took a Xanax about 10 mins ago..and now I feel like I am going to be ok...praise God ( I mean that ). The anxiety I felt just moments ago...felt like I was the worst person in the world and was going to die that way....worst how? Just worst in any case...just felt really terrible..and the thoughts...THEY WERE OVER THE TOP! I suffer from being bipolar 1 manic depression, with a dose of ADHD...so I can go from normal..to terrible...to...don't pass go and collect $200. I'm rambling...LoopyLiz89...hang in there...I am glad that I'm not the only one...and you are not either...we will get through this...I just know it. God bless you and Shalom.

P.S. smile

• Posted

Hi everyone!

It's amazing how reading about others' experiences can help calm you, you guys have really helped pull me out of the worst bout of anxiety I have experienced in a long time.

I have always been a nervous/self-concious/shy guy, but I started with GAD about 8 years years ago. I've been medication free for over a year, it's funny that through that time I've been through some of the most stressful times a person could go through. I bought a house and shortly afterward lost my job, spent a month getting turned down for jobs, worrying about not being able to pay the mortgage, until eventually taking a job I didn't 100% want.

I can't say that through that period I was anxiety free, though I can say I dealt with things fairly well. I'm a year into said employment and organising a wedding (18th of July!) and, well, I'm screwed. It's been pretty stressful at work recently, that coupled with feeling that I should be doing something else, trying to organise my own stag do/suit fitting (cheers best men, the reason I chose two of you) and helping organise everything else, I feel like I'm finally begining to crack.

The past few days have been hell, I've been experiencing severe anxiety at work, on the train home and even at home, where I really should know I'm safe. I wouldn't say today as been as bad as previous days in terms of stress, but I left work feeling terrible, I got half way to the train station and I was so close to finding somewhere to hide and asking someone to travel the 30-odd miles to come and rescue me. I was dreading walking into the centre of town, but I stealed myself and realised after a while that it wasn't so bad.

It was on the train home that I found this discussion, and I want to thank you all for bringing me down to earth. You really are not alone, and I'm glad to say neither am I!

I feel so close to going to the doctors and going back on the medication, but having been on them for so long prior I really don't want to go back there. I feel like if I do, I'd be surrendering to it. I want to fight it. I know that for the most part my thought processes are dictated by the lessons/fears learned by a 3 year old with an agressive father, but I also know that I can overcome that.

I'm considering private therapy, my experience on the NHS has been mixed, and a little impersonal. But for now I'm considering short term meds like Diazepam, just to take when I can feel the stress building.

What do you guys think?

• Posted

Iv just seen you're post and realised it was posted over a year ago, however I feel exactly the same to how you do/did. I was wondering if you feel better now? I can relate to almost every you have said. I feel like Iv lost my mind, I'm getting headaches a lot and am constantly worrying about the smallest things. I just want it to go and I'm getting frustrated. I don't take tablets but may have to go to the doctors soon, I'm scared and I don't know how much more I can cope with.
  • Posted

The flu can trigger off anxiety. Some of this is dehydration and your sugar levels. Give it a week of you drinking lots of water, gatorades and eating small meals a few times a day.  Last winter i had the flu and was shakey and pallps and couldnt figure it out bec it wasnt like the anxiety i was used too. My sister took me to lunch and i ate ..a lot actually and had lots of water with lemon water. I guess i felt comforted someone cared and i was out of the house a bit, anyway i got home and the shakes had calmed down a lot. I Realized some is anxiety and some is not. Anyone who gets the flu needs some time to reciver from it. 
    • Posted

Haha just saw this is a very old post. Oops

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.