Feels like something stuck in nose

Posted , 31 users are following.

I'm a 36 year old man from sweden. It all started with sinusitis 9 months ago that didn't go away. In september I had sinus surgery and i thought that would solve my problems but it didn't. The problem is only in one nostril. It feels like a pressure or like something is stuck there. Kind of like i'm deeply congested or like part of my nose has grown together deep inside.. I can't realy explain it. It won't help with nasal spray or steroid nasal spray. Saline rinses won't work either. Even if i can breathe through nose it still feels blocked like deeper inside...  My ENT says that my sinuses looks normal. This feeling is consuming me and i hope someone can help me.

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

See another ENT and have an MRI. This should show obstruction including soft tissue. Even a CT has value. Have the ENT tell you if the obstruction is structural. "Normal" can mean a great many things. Ask if the blockage could be hardened mucus for example.

If not structural and not mucus it is a rare possibility that you feel blocked due to possible nerve damage. Hopefully this is not it.

In any case we are not doctors and strongly recommend you find a second opinion.

• Posted

Thanks for your answer! I have had 3 CT scans. The first showed blocked ethmoidal cells, and some swelling of maxillary and frontal sinuses. The last one is showing air filled "normal" sinuses. The pressure in my nose is changing when i move my head. I Can't sleep lying on side. I have to lay on my back. 

• Posted

I have seen so many ents, plastic surgeons and none sugested a ct or mri. People do not know what it is like to have a passage feel blocked when before all was normal. I will try to find the most reputable ent in the Seattle area and suggest what you said.  Thanks for another light.
    • Posted

Hi, I'm in Seattle and I'm dealing with the same thing. It's unbearable and I'm going to try and avoid seeing subpar ENTs who aren't going to actually do anything for me. I know this thread is from 6 years ago but I'm wondering if you can let me know if you ever found someone to help with this?

• Posted

Have had multiple surgeries trying to make my right passage way feel normal. Have had 2 very highly thought of doctors who saw no problem. My nose was badily injured and I believe one of these sugeries started the problem. Septum-3 times, scar tissue removal once. Suspect the scar tissue removal may be reason I feel blocked. Sorry I do not have a answer to correct you. Its been 45 years for me. My only advice for you is to wait for another year or so. If you can get a mental counslor to help - wish I would have. I have ptsd from all this. I wish I would have done everthing in my power to never had an operation.
    • Posted

Thanks for your answer! My problems started before my surgery. It started with sinusitis which made my nose completely blocked and hasn't been the same after that. I'm going to see another ENT for a second opinion. Hopefully he sees something the other didn't.

• Posted

Does the septum supposed to be swollen like this? It has contact with the turbinate. When i google "normal nasal cavity" it looks like the turbinate is supposed to "hang free". Can this make me feel pressure?

• Posted

It sure can. The turbinates seem to be super sensitive to "touch", even by other parts of your own nose.

• Posted

It is now a little more than a year since my sinus surgery but the feeling of obstruction is still there. I have been to two different ENT and they cant see any problem. I really want this feeling to go away and I´m open for suggestions what to do. One ENT suggested radiofrequency turbinate reduction but he wasn´t sure it would help my problems. 

• Edited

First, a question: have you tried wearing nasal strips for a night or two? Does it help you breathe better?

Do you have your "normal" mucus flow in your nose? Extreme dryness can cause this.

Sometimes after surgery there is nerve damage. So another question here: can you feel temperature changes in your nose or feel the steam in the shower? 

Nerve damage causes paradoxical obstruction. Because you can't feel the air your nose feels obstructed. It's not visible on an endoscopy which is why the ENTs can't see a problem.

• Posted

Thank you for your answer. I have tried nasal strips but it does not help. I think i have normal mucusflow. I am not sure if i can feel temperaturechanges. I have to look into that. 
    • Posted

If you have to look into the temp change thing it means you are good. Believe me you would know it.

Good on the mucus.

Did you have a CT scan or MRI?

• Posted

Ok, i guess i can feel changes in temperature. I have had 3 CT scans last year. The first showed blocked ethmoidal cells, and some swelling of maxillary and frontal sinuses. The last one (after FESS) is showing air filled "normal" sinuses. Maybe i just have to learn to live with it.. I have not decided if i should do the turbinate reduction.. I´m afraid of making it worse.. 

• Posted

Just be aware that a risk in turbinate reduction is ENS. I have it. It's a living nightmare. Good luck.

• Edited

Hi Tommy

May be good to get a second opinion from another ENT. 

I had my surgery 4 months ago and my current ENT is happy with my progress. I had both sides inferior turbinates reduced and a FESS on the right. It happens that I went to see another ENT because I needed to start on sublingual immunotherapy for my allergy. She took a look inside and told me that there are adhesions (scar tissues) and they may obstruct and give a congested feeling (which I do feel every now and then) Thus, sometimes the ENT who did the surgery may brush off some post surgery symptoms but another ENT may not. 

So, another opinion may help you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.