Fell 11 days post op

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am a 29 year old active, healthy female...until now. 

I fell down our small staircase, consisting of 4 stairs on 10/7/17, and suffered a trimalleor fracture with dislocation. I had surgery the following Tuesday 10/10/17. All went well and was in the hospital for 2 days after surgery due to pain, I never had a broken bone before so my pain tolerance is a bit low.   I was supposed to get married on 10/14/17...we had to reschedule our wedding, and luckily our vendors have been amazing and were very accomodating our new wedding date is 3/10/18. My surgeon said if all goes well I should be walking on my own without crutches etc by then. 

I have been an absolute wreck mentally, crying everyday, depressed etc...mind you I have had anxiety and mild depression for years so this situation has just made it worse. On top of the mental anguish I have been so worried about healing and making sure to do everything correctly so I can walk down the aisle in March, however yesterday I went to let our dogs out of our sliding door into the back yard and my crutch slipped I fell backwards landing on top of the dog crate and hitting the bottom of my splint (which is hard) on the carpeted floor. No pain just pins and needles. So up until late this evening no new pain or anything. Upon going to sleep my ankle was more sore and achey than normal but no substantial pains except my calf and shin are sore which I have not experienced until

now. I have been up all night terrified I ruined my surgery and that I will set myself back. I have been up all night long and any feedback would be appreciated! 

Has anyone had an similar stories about falling on crutches and how did it turn out?

I just need others insight who have gone through this, as no one close to me has every bad such an injury and although they have been very helpful they do not understand what I am going through emotionally and physically at this time. 

Thank you!

Heather

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Heather!  I am so sorry you're dealing with this horrible turn of events!  You mention post op... so if you have had your fracture stabilized with hardware I wouldn't think there is a need for concern.  I took a backwards fall at about the same time frame  as you. I was fine.  I did worry myself sick until my Ortho appt for confirmation.  The splints are made to take such low impact bumps.  The pins and needles sensation you describe is your nerve endings reacting to the jolt.  Believe me, you will feel these types of sensations as you continue to heal.  I am now 12.5 weeks post op (pilon fracture). I have 2 plates and 16 screws.  I have those sensations too,  I am told by those ahead of us that this is normal and they will resolve with TIME... ugh!  It wouldn't hurt to call your doctor just to reassure all is well!  Get some rest and just try to focus on getting healed the rest will come!  Keep me updated.  Keeping you on my thoughts and prayers!  Rhonda

• Posted

So sorry this has happened to you.  I had the same injury almost a year ago.  Crutches are a bit scary, so I used a scooter while I was healing.....I did not have the fear of falling again.  This will be a very emotional time.  Each day I tried to laugh, workout and look to the goal of walking again.  So, keep your sights on walking down the eisle.  It is hard for others to know how difficult it is to suddenly have a major change in your life.  To help me with this, I thought of others that have to deal with pain or a disease every day.  Happy future wedding day.  
  • Posted

Hi Heather,

I am so sorry you fell right before your wedding day! As others have written, things will get better slowly.  The frustration with immobility and feelings of depression and anxiety seem to go hand in hand with these injuries.  This forum has been a lifesaver for me. So, please keep us informed of your progress and any problems.  We will be cheering for you on March 18,

• Posted

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I finally fell asleep around 6am, but it is now 8:30am where I am and I am up once again worrying. 

No new swelling after the fall or an intense pain. Still achey and a slight twinge of radiating pain by my knee...which is strange considering I didn’t even hit my knee. When I stand up on crutches to move around a bit there is no pain or anything only when I lay down do I have extra soreness and that twinge in my knee. I have my first follow up appointment tomorrow and I am praying that my wounds have healed from surgery and I can get my hard cast on and get out of this splint. I will feel much safer with a hard cast on.  Until then I will try to get some sleep if I can.

• Posted

Heather I’m sorry I know this sucks and no one can get it unless they have been unfortunate as us.

I loved healing golfers reply.

I would read that again regularly. My accident was in Jan 2017.  I had a situation similar to yours and was in a great deal of pain for a long time  along with difficulty sleeping... still have bad periods.  In addition I had annoying things happen after  such as getting infection in big toe... now have metatarsal fracture  - I do remember that for us this is not a situation where we are confined to a wheelchair for life.

When u get X-rays that will always be your reassurance  that everything’s in place. 

I wish you the best in managing this challenging time.

• Posted

I dislocated and had trimallelor break in June 21st surgery June 23rd.  I fell a few times but was ok.  Get a knee scooter and get rid of the crutches!  It's a long journey to recovery.  I walk and drive now but I only can wear Brooks tennis shoes and my ankle is stiff and hurts.  

• Posted

Yes!  I too, used a knee scooter I would definitely recommend getting a basket too.  I also have a long handled grabber.  These two aids helped me get independence  early on.
  • Posted

Hi Heather!

I am sorry about your serious fall and having to postpone your wedding. It will be nicer in March, giving you time to heal.

I find it difficult using crutches too. But when I could weight bear, they became quite helpful. I also borrowed a wheel chair to get around the house. Some people use knee scooters that prove to be an ideal aid.

I am also sorry about your second fall. Maybe you could make a doctor's appointment asking him for an X-ray, making sure that everything is ok.

I broke my ankle awhile ago. Recently I was walking downstairs and landed on my foot causing a new pain. This was scary for me. 

I too suffer from anxiety and depression. Breaking my ankle certainly didn't help matters either.

Anyhow, because you are 29 and fit, it wouldn't be surprising if your healing will be quick. This is what I hope for you! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding in March!

• Posted

Hi Heather 

I had the exact same thing happen  to me four stairs and trimalleor fracture 

I had a plate and three screws put in.

Here I am exactly 4 months later walking perfectly normal, and all healed. You are much younger than me I am 60 years old. Listen to the doctor do everything you’re told, follow all the instructions and you will be healed in no time,  in Time to walk down the aisle perfectly. The key is to not stress yourself out. Stress is extremely depleting to the body. I also took something called bone health (Amazon) which made a huge difference in my healing I believe I was able to bear weight after five weeks, and a boot for 10 days and then into physical therapy for four weeks . Remember to take a care of yourself, keep your stress to a minimum know that your body and your ankle will heal much more rapidly. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Heather, everything you are experiencing is absolutely normal! What you are going through is traumatic not only on your body but your mind. It makes it hard for those around us to understand what we are going through. You would be suprised how resilient and less fragile your foot is than you think. My first foot surgery I tried crutches and omg I have zero coordination! I fell 3 times in the first few days. Hurt so bad but had zero impact on my healing process! I soon found the scooter! Keep up the progress and you will be okay. Even though this is hard you will make it through. This forum has been a God send in helping me stay positive and keep it together when I lose it! Second surgery and dealing with injury the last 4 years. Its okay to cry and be down. This is hard. Just know you are not alone and you are not crazy! Hang in there girl you got this!

• Posted

Thank you Laura...I have never been so depressed in my life. I cry everyday. I just hope that today when I go to my first post op appointment they have good news and put me in a hard cast.
    • Posted

Hey everyone good news...all is healing well and aligned, I got my hard cast on today at my appointment. Will return in 4 weeks to see how everything is going...I feel the most positive I have since this has happened. 
    • Posted

Hi Heather, that is good news! I am glad everything is healing well. You are firmly on the road to recovery.

I get an X-ray at the end of the month to see how my healing is coming along.

Keep on getting better Heather!

• Posted

Hi Heather!  So glad to hear your good news! This is one of life's stepping stones .  The next time you take a bump you might rest a little easier knowing the great outcome you just received! I know that's how I felt.  This is a long arduous road ... but you're not alone! We're all on the same road as your are!  Congrats!! Rhonda

• Posted

Thank you everyone! Quick question when you got your cast on did you have little twinges of pain and soreness? I feel like this might be from the manipulating the foot prior to casting and obviously having the sutures out...just want to make sure this is normal....because I worry too much lol
    • Posted

Hi Heather!

When my foot/ankle was  in a cast I certainly did have twinges of pain and soreness, all part of the healing process I believe. Keep on healing Heather!

• Posted

Well I never had a cast, at 3 weeks post op my stitches were removed and I was put in a boot.  I wasn't allowed to walk tho.  But, I did experience those types of pain.  They eventually settled down.  Your foot / leg has been through a lot today.  Maybe elevate and medicate these twinges are normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.