Female cystoscopy - never again!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Apparently, I have some traces of blood in my urine, so am due to have a CT scan of my kidneys next Monday. I was given only a few hours notice of the cystoscopy and thought it wasn't a big deal. There was nothing wrong with my bladder before, but there definitely is now: I just want to wee the WHOLE time. I've managed to get myself antibiotics online, but they've not helped. I so regret having this procedure. I wasn't given any warning at all that the side effects would be so bad. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm worried that I may be stuck with it.

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am surprised at what you say. I had a cystoscopy a couple of weeks ago but only mild discomfort. It's not a good idea to buy antibiotics on the internet. You need tests of your urine. I thought I had a uti this week but a test yesterday found no infection.

• Posted

Kate, I've read that they often give prophylactic antibiotics to prevent infection during cystoscopy. I didn't have an infection prior to the procedure, but, if I'd opted to wait for a prescription from my GP, I'd have been waiting at least a fortnight. I'm hoping that the discomfort resolves soon. 

• Posted

Hi Cherrypink   I am now taking a 2nd course of AB as the symptoms returned though more mildly. I am hoping that  this course will clear them. I will know in a couple of days.  Is your's any better? Which AB did you buy? Why would your GP take 2 weeks to provide a prescription?

• Posted

Hi Kate! Are you feeling any better now? Which antibiotics did you take? I took a three day course of trimethoprim, but my frequency symptoms continue, unfortunately. I estimated two weeks because it's not easy to get an early GP appointment at my surgery and my urine would have needed to be sent for testing before getting a prescription. I now await the residuals of my renal CT scan.

• Posted

Hi Cherrypink

I am feeling a lot better but I am 90% sure that it isn't due to the AB course. The symptoms hadn't improved by the end of day 3. I am post menopause and a year ago was prescribed a course of treatment for vaginal atrophy which has symptoms very similar to a UTI. The low level of oestrogen caused by menopause is responsible for irritation in the bladder.  I didn't use it then but decided to try it a few nights ago when I had extreme discomfort.  Symptoms did improve almost immediately so I am continuing to use it until I see a GP again soon.  I don't know your age but possibly you could try this if old enough?  Tomorrow I am leaving a urine sample at the GP to be sent away for analysis. I think it will be clear. Once the result is in, I will see the GP again. I have also ordered some D Mannosa to try.

I am waiting for a referral to a kidney doctor due t the blood in the urine. Urologist found nothing wrong.

• Posted

Hi Kate! I, too, will be handing in a urine sample to my GP tomorrow. I'm 47, so, maybe, the blood in my urine is due to peri-menopause. Apologies - my predictive text changed 'results' to 'residuals' in my last post - I'm waiting for the results of a renal scan.I don't think the discomfort following my cystoscopy is due to infection either because it came on immediately. I drank lots of water before the procedure and I think more must have been added to my bladder. I just hope everything goes back to normal soon, as I'm still feeling the urge to go all the time.

• Posted

cherry i had it done a week ago tuesday and my god was it painful after i got antibiotics from the doctors took at least 10 days to clear and still not really right now i have a ct scan coming up tommorrow cus they found i had bladder cancer a vein burst thats why i had blood hope this helpsxx
    • Posted

Michael1130. Sorry to hear about the bladder cancer. It was the cystoscopy which confirmed this? I am also having blood in urine investigated but the urology tests were clear. now waiting for letter from hospital to see a nephrologist. Not sure what test will be done. Have already had scan for kidney stones.
    • Posted

Hi Michael! Thanks for your input - I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Wishing you well.

• Posted

thanks cherry like you said painful i had my ct scan done monday they cudnt get a needle in one arm so they had to dig in the other anyway it went okay funny feelings with that heat going in and the scanner it felt like i had diarrearh went the heat went into my bowels it was ok took 45 minutes  
    • Posted

hi kate you were a lucky one if a vein hadnt have burst i wuodnt have known anyway had a ct scan monday and an operation next friday i just hope it hasnt spread i wish you well on your treatment hope its all okay
    • Posted

Hi michael11030  

I have now seen the letter to my GP and passed it on to her. now have to wait for an appointment. I still think my blood traces are more likely to be menopause related but will have to wait and see.  Good luck with your op and further results. Let us know what happens.

• Posted

hikate thanks for your concern much appreciated i will let you know certainly if i survive haha i hates hospitals needles etc love to you and hope all goes well
    • Posted

Hi Michael? How are you? I hope the surgery went well. I had the same problem with the intravenous pyelogram - they couldn't find a vein and my arm is still bruised a week later. Do keep us updated about your progress.

• Posted

cherry hiya its been 5 months now had the op and 6 treatments of chemo got my cyscotopy  a week tueaday to see if it all worked i do hope it has as its been very painful the chemo
    • Posted

hi kate been 5 months now had the op and 6 lots of chemo now i got a cyscopy a week tuesday to find out if it worked  hope your okayxx
    • Posted

Hi Michael11030   I remembered you this morning when i read the message from Caz below. Fingers crossed for your next cystoscopy.
    • Posted

thanks kate i blooming hate them i find they really hurt ill bee crossing my legs haha not my fingers its because i have an enlarged prostrate that it hurts wen they shove that tube in

• Posted

Is the enlarged prostrate directly connected to what they found in your previous cystoscopy/your treatment?
    • Posted

kate i find it very difficult on here as you are all ladies and im the only bloke haha its a bit different having a tube shoved down your penis
    • Posted

Michael  Yes of course it is different. I only asked because you hadn't mentioned the enlarged prostrate before.

• Posted

hi kate had the cyscopoty done no probs he put 2 lots of gel down haha and i had a diazepam tablet no hurting at all but i have some thing there in the bladder so have to have a biopsy another blooming op  they cant define waht it is thort id let u knowxx
    • Posted

Hi Michael

Really hope you get some positive news soon. how long have you got to wait for the biopsy?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.