Female cystoscopy - never again!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Apparently, I have some traces of blood in my urine, so am due to have a CT scan of my kidneys next Monday. I was given only a few hours notice of the cystoscopy and thought it wasn't a big deal. There was nothing wrong with my bladder before, but there definitely is now: I just want to wee the WHOLE time. I've managed to get myself antibiotics online, but they've not helped. I so regret having this procedure. I wasn't given any warning at all that the side effects would be so bad. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm worried that I may be stuck with it.

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My name is Michelle terrified to have a Cystoscope test. Is it painful? Have you heard of partial sedation?

Merry Christmas

• Posted

Hi Michelle

Don't worry! For me it was only minor discomfort. Process is very quick.

• Posted

Hi kate. Did you ever get to the bottom of your blood in urine? Was it menopause related? I ask because I am 49, 50 in a month!, and have not had a period for 2 years. I wondered if it is possible that microscopic blood could be due to this? I am booked for a cystoscopy in 2 weeks but I feel that I just cannot go through with it at this time.
    • Posted

Michelle, apologies - I just saw your message. Are you ok now? I didn't have sedation, but I'm pleased to say that the frequency I experienced afterwards has now resolved itself. No cause was found for the blood in my urine. I've been experiencing heavy and prolonged periods for the past year, so, maybe, the blood was related to that.

• Posted

Hi Caz11527   I can't say anything about a possibile gynaecological cause because I haven't had a referral for that. After my clear cystoscopy and kidney scan/blood tests, i thought any further referral would be gynaecological but it wasn't. The urology doctor wanted me to have a  referral to a nephrologist. That really scared me. i asked why because i had already had blood tests and the kidney scan. He claimed that further tests were needed. I had a nervous wait to see a doctor as my appointment wasn't until January. In the end it was ok. The doctor didn't find any kidney problems. She suggested to my GP that I just had a simple traumatic haematuria exacerbated by my low blood platelets (which have a known cause  - side effect of medication and monitored regularly). She made no suggestion that I needed to see a gynaecologist. I have 1 further appt. with her which is optional. I will however go as I have a couple of questions to ask including whether it might be gynaecological.

What was the result from your previous cystoscopy? Why does the doctor think you need a repeat?

Before i had all these tests done, i asked a question on the menopause Matters forum. More than 1 person told me that it was probably menopause related. I am almost 54 and my periods stopped 3 years ago.

• Posted

Thanks kate. I have never had a cystoscopy. This would be my first. I have no symptoms and never would have known I had blood in my urine except it was detected on a dipstick test twice, three months apart. I will hang on and see if I can get kidney and bladder imaging first. My kidney function blood test is normal so I don't really know what is going on.

• Posted

Hi caz11527   In that case it would be a good idea to have one done as a precaution. I didn't have any problems with the process. Just didn't look foward to getting the result. I also had the kidney scan and blood tests before the cystoscopy. i then thought I would get the all clear but was told I had to see the nephrologist too ( appt. 3 months later!).

let me know what happens.

• Posted

hi michelle hope the cyscopy went well i found it very painful but i suppose its different for a bloke

• Posted

Michael I had onlya tiny spot (pin head) of blood clot when I found out I had Bladder Cancer. The same day my best girl my Labrador Passed away on the operating table with a insalinoma cancer I passed another clot. Made me go to the doc. A ultra sound and a Ct scan later and my cancer doctor said no need to go in and get a looksie, he just went in and operated. My point is I had never had a Cysto while being awake since I had surgery under a general. I was scared to have my first 3 month re-check cysto. The lady doing it was awesome. When the camera got to the first bend she told me to push like Im peeing then when we got to the prostrate she told me I need to relax. She waited till I was relaxed to go further. OMG I didnt feel a darn thing. Zero pain and zero pain afterwards too. I hope I wasnt just lucky. If you didnt relax your muscles when it gets to the prostrate, try it the next time. mind over matter lol (right!)
    • Posted

Hi Brokenarrow, your "Lady of the Cysto" was a good operator and a good teacher! And no pain after the procedure is the real mark of good workmanship. What you have learnt is also applicable to passing catheters, should that every become necessary for you.

Regards, Alan

• Posted

Hi Cherry, I know your post is old but wondered how you are now and how long did you have this problem?  I had a cystoscopy 5 days ago, 2 days after that I had a ct scan with dye!  I am suffering badly now, just can't get to the loo quick enough, the pressure inside is unbearable.  I feel,as though my inside is about to fall out, with itching inside too.  I have a constant urge to wee and unable to leave the house.  Its making me feel really depressed and I'm dreading the appt with whatever they found, I Sincerely hope you are ok and your outcome was good. 

• Posted

Hi Pauline. I was wondering the exact same thing. I have my cystoscopy under partial sedation next Monday and am trying to work out what I'll be able to do the rest of the week. It seems that you are quite unlucky, going by the posts of others who have had the same tests! Sounds like you may have an infection or could it be the after effects of the dye used in the CT? The itching sounds horrible. I really hope you get some relief soon and good luck for your results. I spoke to my urologist and he says it is not necessary to have the CT scan if the blood in urine is not visible. My GP says it is. Who do you believe? Did you have to drink barium for your CT? I'm ok with the dye injected but cannot face drinking that stuff. I had a bladder and kidney ultrasound which showed no issues and my kidney function test was normal so not sure what is going on. I want this cystoscopy but at the same time I'm worried about what they might see.

• Posted

Hi Pauline! I'm so sorry that you're in discomfort. Mine lasted for about three weeks, but I seem to be fine now. I don't think I had an infection, but I've read that some patients are given prophylactic antibiotics, just in case.

It's horrid being in discomfort the whole time and not knowing when it will stop - I got very depressed too. I drank loads of cranberry juice. Perhaps, you should try it?

• Posted

Thanks cherry.  Pleased you're ok now, what were your results ?  All the best.

• Posted

Hi Caz, I was thinking it could have been the dye as the day after the cystoscopy I wasn't so bad.  The cystoscopy is nothing to worry about, you don't feel a thing, honestly, and I'm a whimp!  I didn't have to drink anything but found the dye really hot and uncomfortable esp round that area.  Good luck, you will be fine, trust me.  

• Posted

Pauline, they didn't find anything, so I'm none the wiser. I had a CT scan, too. Hope you feel better soon. And good luck to you, too, Caz.

• Posted

That's great news.  Are you in the U.K?   My GP said mine could be interstitial cystitis but she's checking for cancer!,   All the best. 

• Posted

Thanks Pauline, it's reassuring to know the scope isn't so bad. A lot of people have said the same thing on here. I think it's the knowledge of where the camera is going that is freaking me. NHS wouldn't do it with sedation so I am having to pay privately. I'm not sure if my private consultant will refer me to my GP if scope is clear or what the next step is. He seemed to be suggesting that if the bladder is fine then I don't need any more tests. I don't like the idea of the radiation and dye associated with a CT, I will be suggesting an MRI instead. My partner had a prostate one done recently and it had amazing clarity. It really does sound like you had a reaction to the dye they used. I have no idea why my GP said I had to have dye and a drink. I have no issues with my stomach! I hope you start to feel better soon, it just makes life that much more difficult and you could do without that. x

• Posted

Thank you Cherry, I'm so glad you are ok. Did you have just dye with your CT or did you have the barium as well? I don't understand the need for that. Maybe my GP is mistaken? x

• Posted

Caz, I'm pretty sure I just had dye and I don't think the CT caused any problems. Everything's back to normal now, but in my case the cystoscopy did cause frequency for a while after. Probably, I was just unlucky. 

• Posted

You will be fine without sedation, it really is so quick, no antibiotic injection and no filling area with water.  I think I may have reacted to the dye as the cystoscopy wasn't so bad, the fact I had them 2 days apart I think didnt help, no time for my poor insides to recover from first one.  I could not have an MRI as I'm claustrophobic, and I was terrified of both my recent investigations, so I can't imagine you'll be as bad as me with worrying.  All the best Caz X 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.