Fev

Posted , 11 users are following.

My husband has copd - he went for a check up today and his Fev was 0.74 - two years ago it was 1.24.  I know his copd is very severe, but does anyone know what this means.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, sorry but although I am a fellow sufferer ,,,I can't explain it . Best wishes 
  • Posted

Well, whatever it is it's obviously gone down in that time.   I don't understand that method of assessing COPD, I stick with the percentage of loss of lung function because that's easy to understand.   

I'm sorry to be blunt, but your query is similar to so many others on this forum:  why wasn't this question asked of whoever did the test?   I don't understand why so many people come to strangers online rather than asking these important questions of whoever is treating them.

Someone on here will be able to explain what Fev means

• Posted

Often Jude when one is at the doctor or having a test many if the questions you would like to ask go flying out the window and this because of course one is not in a relaxed state. So often it happens that after you leave you start thinking of things you would have liked to ask. I think this is why people come here to ask....not strange at all really as this is after all a support forum smile

• Posted

Hi, before I see the doctor or consultant I write down any questions I have so I don't forget ,

however a few days ago I saw my copd consultant for the 3rd time in a year and I had to tell him I had stopped taking the Montelukast he had prescribed for me as I felt it didn't suit me ,so ,he was asking me things like how I was feeling to make me stop taking it ,,,,I said I couldn't remember exactly how I felt as I also been put on cholesterol tablets and blood pressure tablets by my GP around the same time as Montelukast ,,,,but I stopped taking the cholesterol as I read about it and wasn't happy ,and my GP changed the blood pressure tablets twice in this period of time ,so a lot was going on ,

He has now put me on a Leukotriene ???? Not Montelukast ,and has suggested I keep a medical diary until I see him again in 4 months ,I think this is a great idea ,as I can also highlight any problems with my health that are causing me concern like any possible side effects ,,,this way he dosent have to sit and go through it all ,just anything I gave highlighted ,let me know if anyone thinks this a good idea, 

• Posted

Applause to 2Ada555 for what you said to Jude65855. Come on jude...that's what this forum is for! How can you express and almost scold someone for any question they ask on here? Are you the educational question patrol? Are you the judge on here of what is a smart question and what isnt? I know some folks are in a state of shock after seeing their doctor and hearing bad news or something they think is bad and their brain just stops right there...the doctor's words just sound like blah blah blah bc they have temporarily digressed until they leave and can process what they were just told. Also...I know my memory is not the same as it was...maybe the oxygen, or lack of oxygen at times but definitely not as good. Anyway...please don't make people feel bad or have to justify ANYTHING they ask. This is deja vu with you...dang...really??? That's what this place is for!! I'm done...
    • Posted

Ada555,

No need to explain anything sweetie...Jude is known for being rude at times and in no way is representative of how wonderful all the other COPD patients are on here. You are right..that is exactly what this place is for. The only dumb question is one that doesn't get asked!! I sent her my own thoughts in your defense as well...but trust me, she does this at times. Ask anything you want and all of us are happy to read and try to help, as well as learn from you too. So sorry you got hit with that...ladyjack51

• Posted

Hi Nanny...if you google spirometry test results you will find explanations if what the numbers mean. I would also highly recommend the Facebook support group called Breathe Easy. You will find tons of information and support there. Good luck. smile
    • Posted

Ada, that was well said...I agree, this is a place where people can come in order to gain support from other's who may have the answer, or maybe their doctor gave them the answer, when they were in the same situation.

This is a place for us all to gather, and gain comfort, friendship, and support....no one is alone in this group either, since we all are suffering basically the same thing, but to some degree, one might be in a stage, whereas someone else in another stage, etc.

We can all share our experiences, and it may benefit someone else who is being a first time experiencing the same experience. I think this forum is important and valuable. We should be able to all talk about anything, as long as it is decent and beneficial and not harming anyone. (smiles to everyone)

• Posted

Morning brenda62546

Your right and sometimes doesn't anyone experiance this when you ask the doctor what a certain test or condition is?It's like your being blanked like your talking to a brick, you can ask the same question again and still not be heard then feel humiliated so I don't see that doctor again!? I feel this is why people ask other people to know if someone else knows & can put their mind at rest,where would we be with out this forum? Very very lonely indeed some of us! I'm sure I'm not alone here anyone else faced this situation where you ask a question or question to a doctor but the doctor doesn't answer? I don't  think this is right atall it can also put people off going to see a doctorand loss of trust! eek

• Posted

See? I'm gonna go to this and check it out...thanks for your input Ada555.
    • Posted

Karen, I agree, and know exactly what you are saying regarding doctors. I have a habit of writing down all my questions on a paper and asking them when I have my three month doctor visit, and the last time he said, 'oh no, now what questions are on your paper this time'? It was sort of intimidating..lol!

But, it also makes me angry, since how else are we suppose to know about this complicated lung condition called COPD? I have learned quite a lot from Re-hab though, but doctors are so busy, and fast paced, and they seem to answer questions in a fast timely manner. I find it difficult to find a good doctor that likes to spend time with his/her patients too. But when talking to them, the pressure, and quick timing, quick thinking, all makes it difficult to remember and fully understand, due to a mixture of nerves and pressure.

But, when he made that comment the last time, I thought about finding another more patient doctor, but he retired recently, and now I am going to see another one anyhow. So it worked out.

But, I rely on the internet and forums just to be with others who share the same condition as I do, and to read about all their experiences, and I love hearing their questions too, so others having anykind of question is okay for me, and never gets on my nerves at all.

I can't understand people who question others in a forum about why they ask questions on this forum and not their own doctors. Sometimes I think they aren't really hurting like some people on here are and who really are searching for answers..many of us are scared and need support and the comfort due to loneliness too. 

Please (everyone) keep asking any questions or say anything you need to say, and please don't be afraid to do so, just as long as you follow the rules and be respectful to others. As for me, I love to hear from you, and anything you wish to say or express is okay for me too!

• Posted

Afternoon brenda62546

I'm with you 100% it's  true thats what we are here for helping & supporting one another your right! and as for the doctor I find that very out of order I'd also feel intimidated that is not good atal very off putting, they are suppose to listen to what we tell them otherwise what's the point in having the job!

thankfully not all doctors are like him & I hope you have better luck with the next doctor I hope so! And Thank you i will carry on online with this forum as I love helping others where I can & gaining knowledge aswell as giving & recieving advice I'd be lost otherwise Good luck with your next doctors appointment I hope all goes well please let us know have a good weekend & everyone else!smile 

• Posted

Karen, thank you...I agree, regarding my doctor, thank you for the well wishes too! 

I not only love to read about all the many different questions and situations that others leave on this forum, but also the many different ideas and opinions and answers too.

Also, I love to help others by leaving my comments too. 

• Posted

Morning Nanny10

would like to say I'm just as confused with these spirometry tests! I was thought to be mild then was found to be moderate! I do self testing with a digital piko-1 spiro meter but also have a digital peako meter & a manual one I find that the fev-1 can be up and down usually down but it's variable but no matter what I'm always in the red zone never yellow or green I asked the doctor & he said it might mean I have an infection But it's the same when I haven't got an infection all thhe doc said was keep an eye on it!

And the only reason I got another spirometer was to see if I'd be in the red zone on a brand new one and it's just the same also my oxygen can be very low  at times and stay low as low as 85% but after a minute goes up to 95 96 then down again I try notto check to often but it's differcult especially when it gets solow but if I was to go to the hospital it would go up! I think it might just be best if I just wait till an ambulance is needed so will not worry myself to death! I understand how confusing & complicated this disease is and hope you find the answer I don't know when Iwill get taken seriously or not sure what i should do sometimes but if your doctor is a good one I'd go back to thhe doc or the consultant that deals with your husbands copd pressuming he has one I don't as I'm not sevear yet, I wishyou all the bbest and hope you get an answer very soon!smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.