Fever with Mono Lasting Almost a Month?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I just got diagnosed with a relapse in mono last week, with my symptoms showing up at the end of July.  I didn’t think you could get mono again, so it was a shock to me that I have it again.  This time around my symptoms have been reoccurring fevers, body aches, and major fatigue.  The last time I had mono was 20 years ago when I was 18, so I can’t remember how long I had a fever, but is it normal for it to be going on 3 weeks?  I’m so worried and nervous about this!   I’m a teacher and have to start back at work on the 27th, and I have a lot of anxiety about still having fevers.  Also, I’m taking ibuprofen for my fevers which is working, but now I’m worried about taking ibuprofen this long.  Thanks for any advice and reassurance anyone cane give me!  

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Christine,

What your going through is completely normal for mono. Fevers can last much longer than just 1 month for some. Hoping this mono episode isn’t as bad as your last one. 

Remember you’ll get through this! 

• Posted

Hi Christine,

This is very normal with mono and at least your body is putting up a good fight.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply!  That’s what I keep telling myself.  The body is fighting.  
  • Posted

HI Christine,

So sorry to hear that you have been hit with mono at this time, really empathising having went through the virus myself about 12 years ago. Yes they do say you can't get mono twice, that is because the virus which causes it (most often EBV) is already in your system, but as you say these kind of reactivations can happen especially under times of stress, I had a mini-reactivation after about 21 months of when I first had the virus. I was so worried at that time I would have to go through it all again, but thankfully it settled down within a few weeks, and really hoping that this is the case for you too because your body already has the antibodies from memory to deal with it. The other explanation to having it twice is that it is a different virus from the one you had first time, one other virus that I've read causes mono is called CMV. Maybe worth asking the doctor if they are able to tell you which virus you had when you were 18 and which one you have now, that might help.. 

Anyway, most important thing is I do want to reassure you that it is normal what you are going through, these horrible fevers and fatigue and body aches (not that it makes it any easier to deal with), and that they do go away and get better. I know it's so hard when you have work to deal with, I did have to take an extended period off work when I had mono, but I know others have worked through it. I definitely think getting plenty of rest is very important and reducing stress as much as possible. So do put your health first of course, but I hope that you feel better soon that you can go back to work and don't have to take too much if any time off. 

Taking vitamins and herbs helped me when I had the virus, a good strong multi-vitamin per day (I take Immunace Extra here in the UK), B complex (for energy levels and nervous system), higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and immune boosting herbs like oregano / siberian ginseng / echinicea. 

Really hoping you feel much better soon, and please do remember that this DOES get better and what you're going through although so tough to deal with and draining is classic course for the virus - and you will get fully over this and better again! Thinking about you and hang in there!

Craig 

• Posted

Thank you Craig!  I appreciate ALL of this information.  Have definitely wondered if it’s the same virus causing it or not.  I just have to keep reminding myself to rest, rest, rest.  I have two young children also, so this mono experience is SO much more challenging than when I was 18 living with mom & dad.  At least I have a wonderful husband who is able to do all the kids stuff so I can rest.   Will definitely look more into the vitamins also.  Thanks!  

Do you have any advice on the enlarged spleen?  It’s just so uncomfortable.  I feel so bloated.  It really worries me, so I’m being extra careful, but I know it’s a common symptom of mono.  Is it going to last weeks and weeks???  Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I can only imagine how tough it must be to cope with this virus as a mother of young children, I truly believe you're going to get through this hard time Christine and be back to enjoying fun and happy and healthy times with your children without feeling this way again. It is great that you have a supportive husband who is helping and understanding. Do utilise that support and get the rest and time and space you need right now Christine - looking after yourself and taking care of yourself is a priority right now. 

Oh so sorry to hear that you're having issues with your spleen. I had some pain around the spleen area, I think most people do with the virus, although the doctor said it wasn't enlarged or anything. The spleen is like the nerve centre for glands I think, so it is only natural folk to have issues there. I really hope this settles down soon, I know as you say it's important to be extra careful and not do any real physical work or movements that could cause stress in that area. Really hoping and praying it settles down soon, and remember you ARE going to get through this and get better! I strongly believe that Christine, thinking about you today.

Craig

• Posted

Hi,

Fellow teacher here too. I was feverish and had drenching night sweats for months but my temperature was always below normal. I don’t know what type of fatigue you’re talking about - body weakness or sleepiness - but I had awful weakness body fatigue and I was off work for 4 full months with gradual return. Hope you get better soon. 

• Posted

Thanks for your response!  I’m so sorry you went through your sickness for that long.   I have overall body weakness (not sleepiness), so I’m just resting all day.  Did you have to miss 4 months of school???  Oh my goodness I’m so sorry!!   How did that work?  Did you use FMLA?  Truly hoping I don’t need that much time off.  I’m supposed to go start working in my classroom next week, but knowing how I’m feeling I basically can’t do anything.  I have friends and coworkers ready to basically move everything around for me and set things up.  I’m hoping I’ll feel better (enough) for the first day of school in 3 weeks. If not I guess I’ll need a sub to start the year.  ☹️
    • Posted

Oh no, I was hoping you were simply experiencing sleepiness. The horrible weakness is just something else, isn’t it?

Well I felt sick since September but I figured it was just bad luck catching one flu after the next. I took a sick day here and there during this time.

From then I pretty much collapsed one day during an assembly and was too weak to even email my sub any lesson plans. Was hoping the sub would be professional and plan moving forward as my leave was for 2 weeks at first - nope! Wishful thinking. So disappointing. 

From then I tried to come back but I would keep taking sick days and t was too disruptive, so I just took a leave of absence. I was actually too sick to apply for any of my benefits and did not get paid for months. Didn’t have the strength to think about paperwork! 

I hope you feel better in the next week. I’m returning full time in a few weeks but getting my classroom set up leaves me feeling achey and unwell STILL. Almost a year later. Nothing as bad as before but I have a fear now of getting to that point sad 

• Posted

Oh my goodness, I am so, so sorry to hear that you have been going through this!  Poor thing!  Teaching is one of the hardest jobs to have to be absent for... getting sub plans written is so much work.  I’m sure you tried to push through so many days, since it’s so hard to be absent.  I’m so sorry you passed out during an assembly!  😫.  I hope that you are able to continue feeling better and get through the beginning of this school year.  That’s what I’m very worried about right now. 

• Posted

Hi Christine,

So sorry you had a reoccurring bout of mono, such a tough thing to have to go through again.

Your fever is completely normal, I had I lowgrade fever lasting three months. Fever everyday, I was so tired and feeling general malaise.

I hope you get better soon, but the fever is completely normal.

• Posted

Oh my!  Fever for 3 months?  I’m so, so sorry.   Thank you for letting me know the fevers are normal- it really helps.  I hope you are feeling better now!  
  • Posted

I was so worried about the fever too, thought I had leukemia!! But then I got diagnosed with mono. And realised it is completely normal, even for several months. 😦

I sort of got used to having a fever, now I still have a sort of irritated throat, it's now been four months with mono, and after reading other stories here, I've been blessed with a milder case.

I think the worst part is not knowing how long it's going to last. I hope you feel better soon and can get back to work, but remember to rest, I felt that was a must, even though I kind of got used to the malaise. Good luck!

• Posted

Oh I’m sure you must have been so scared!!  Glad it wasn’t anything worse!   I’m sorry you’re still sick- I hope you feel better soon!  Sorry it’s happened over the summer too.   I’m glad to have these message boards- it definitely helps to hear other people’s stories and know that these are all normal things with mono.  It’s a frustrating virus though... having to be patient and rest... been very tough.  Hugs to you!  
    • Posted

Yes, there message boards are very helpful, specially when doctors say two months, and it lasts longer, you start worrying. No need though, this thing can take I long time!

I really hope you feel better soon Christine, hugs to you too. 💞

• Posted

That low grade fever is so horrible Malene, I had it all throughout the virus and couldn't find a right name for it until I discovered that this is what is what - just felt like rushing flushes through my system - was awful and as you say one of the worst things is just not knowing how long things go on for. If you knew that the virus would last say 3 months, it would be a blow at the time I know but at least you would know you would be fully better after that. 

Hoping you are feeling much better now and definitely encouraging Christine and everyone on the site that this virus does get away with time. God is a great healer!

Craig

• Posted

Definitely Craig, it's so frustrating not knowing how long it takes, but it does almost imperceptibly move forward, so that's a good thing and worth holding on too.

Thanks for asking, I'm at four months, and fever's gone, only symptom now is a slightly irritated throat, so not completely out of the woods yet!

Don't feel safe yet though, I know there can be setbacks, but hoping I will get through completely in the near future.

Thanks Craig, hope you're doing well too.

Malene

• Posted

I hope that you continue to recover and feel back to 100% soon, Malene!  
    • Posted

Hi Malene,

Yeah most definitely that is the frustrating thing and the longevity and time to think about it all is what really makes this virus so mentally draining and exhausting. Going through that experience in my life was life-changing in many ways, once I got better I was so grateful and had a different perspective on things, and it really hits the home how precious your health is and what's important in life. I know it sounds silly but the year before I got mono one of the biggest things that worried me was I noticed I was starting to lose hair and going slightly bald - I paid for treatments to help it and everything. Only when I went through mono did I realise if that was the worst of my troubles, I was certainly doing all right - put things into perspective!

You will definitely get through this and get better Malene, I absolutely truly believe that. Yes just take things slow, even when you feel stronger don't overdo it and when you have any difficult days or spells, remember it will pass. The first 3-4 months were certainly the worst in my experience and the intensity did lessen after that, and although it still took time to get back to normal again, things were more bearable and as time progresses you will move further away from the horrible early stage of the virus. 

Hoping your throat starts to feel better soon, in the past I've used oregano tablets to try and help with mouth and throat issues. Also the usual tricks like gargling salt water, and taking half a tea spoon of baking soda in water and drinking as well can be helpful. 

Thanks again for the lovely message and do keep in touch and let us know how things are progressing - and remember you ARE going to get FULLY better!

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig!

Yes, having a frustrating illness like this one certainly puts priorities into perspective!

I hope one day, there will be a treatment or vaccine, but until then forums like this one are so incredibly helpful, as most of us get sent home from our doctors and left on our own.

So happy I found everyone here, and this group is really supportive.😊

Wonderful that you are here Craig, and sharing your support and experience of full recovery.

All the best to you too.

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words Malene, I really appreciate them. It really is a good forum and lots of kind and genuine and supportive people. I think the experience of the virus definitely strikes a chord between those who have went through it and it's definitely great and important that we encourage each other, as we know how tough it is to deal with and how low it can get you. 

Yes really hoping one day there will be a simple and effective form of treatment that nullifies this virus from the outset, that would be amazing. The doctors can certainly be discouraging in the lack of help they offer, but remember not to be discouraged Malene because you are going to get fully better - I still trust God and believe that you are going to get through this and have happy and healthy times ahead again. 

Thinking about you and hoping for a settled weekend - hang in there!

Craig

• Posted

Nice emoji's Malene, I've only just spotted you can do those cool !!

Hoping for a good and settled week ahead for you and everyone on the site, thinking of you still and remember you ARE definitely going to get fully better, I truly believe that. 

Craig

• Posted

Hey there!  It’s been a few days since I’ve updated. I’m happy to say that’s my fever has gone away and I’ve been fever-free for about a week now.  I was so relieved with that!!   I immediately noticed my energy level increased around that time, so I was feeling really positive.  Unfortunately that was also about the time my spleen and abdomen area starting feeling more discomfort and bloating.  I started to get my appetite back some, but now with the bloating and discomfort and I don’t like eating much.   I’m so paranoid about my spleen being enlarged. I find that I can do more at home and also do a little more with my kids, but if I’m on my feet for too long I start to get really tired, and my abdomen area feels really tight. Ugh I just wish I could move on from this!  I’m trying to stay positive, since I know the fevers passed and that was a big improvement.  Did any of you feel the spleen enlarged and abdomen bloating?  And for how long?   Hoping you all are having a great weekend!  

-Christine

• Posted

Hi Christine,

That is good news that your fever has settled down, hoping that can at least be encouraging you that some progress is happening - that in my experience was one of the hardest things to get rid of so it is a BIG positive that things in that respect have calmed down. 

Really hoping things with your spleen and abdomen bloating settle down Christine, I can only imagine how worrying and stressful that must be and how careful you must be trying to be with that area. I think it can take a few weeks for the spleen to settle, I remember reading that it's not anything to worry about it can be very normal with this virus but that you just need to be extra careful because it is much more vulnerable at that time and is a very sensitive and important area obviously with all those glands and things. I was lucky that although I had pain in that area during the virus, I don't think my spleen was actually enlarged, or if it was it was only in a lesser way. 

Thinking about you and remember you are going to get better and get through this! There is definitely hope and hoping others who have had similar issues with spleen and abdomen and recovered can post and offer some hope and encouragement. 

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig!  Wow, you are so good about responding to these posts.  I am so very thankful for you and everyone else on this forum!   Thanks for your reassuring words.  I’ve read that the spleen can be enlarged for weeks, so I just keep telling myself that it is a symptom of mono and not anything else.  Back when I got my blood test results showing I had mono again, they even did an abdominal ultrasound and everything else looked ok.  My blood work showed my liver enzymes were elevated, which is why they did an ultrasound and even checked my other diseases (hepatitis- negative!)  So I just keep telling myself that it’s the mono.  It’s the mono.  I have a tendency to think TOO much and I get major medical anxiety when anything with my body just doesn’t seem normal.  I even had an actual physical anxiety attack last week and felt like I couldn’t breathe because I just kept thinking about all of this and was so upset that I didn’t know when would I feel better.   As I sit here and type this, my energy level is actually ok even though I feel the bloating.  Need to remind myself of the positives right now!  

Again, thank you so much for being such a helpful person here!  I know everyone here truly appreciates all of your support!!  😁

• Posted

They checked *for* other diseases, not *my* other diseases.  Typo!
    • Posted

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the kind and lovely words, I really do appreciate them. I am the same as you get very anxious when it comes to health issues and illness, it is so stressful to deal with this virus. I really do hope and believe your spleen settles down soon and you can feel much better. I also had a time when I had the virus that my liver function test was showing as slightly off too, doctor said this was normal as part of the virus and not to worry and it settled down again as things got better.

Thinking about you and definitely still believing you're going to get better! Hang in there!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.