Fibre Values Diet Sheets Availability

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just been diagnosed with Diverticula at 63 and am trying to find Diet sheets with Fibre values on them so that I can work out a balanced diet but do not want to go overboard with the high fibre otherwise I will never be off the loo.

I always have Porridge for breakfast so that's not changing and my wife usually when cooking a main meal does meat and at least 3 veg but I do not normally have lunch so will have to start eating lunch to even things out. But trying to find comprehensive lists of Fibre values is non existant.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Cheers

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Afternoon graham how are you coping with your divi diet this week? 
    • Posted

Hi Ya, thanks for asking I am not too bad now, started off a bit too much on the old fibre and had a lot of wind etc and a couple of Do's on the Loo so have kicked the Wholemeal Bread into touch and things calmed down a lot so just a case of taking it steady and see how it goes. You just have to try things and see what works and what does not but the wholemeal bread is a no no for me i am afraid.

Hope that your tum calms down soon as well.

Cheers

Graham

• Posted

Thanks graham.... Like you I think I overdid it with the fibre. My tummy has calmed down today, least. It as windy. You are so right, it's about trial and error what we can have. 
  • Posted

Morning graham... How has your week been? I have had not a bad week,only one little blip. Foolishly, Tuesday, I bought a pot noodle for my lunch break at work as I wanted something hot as I was feeling cold. (We only have a small kitchen space at work, not enough room for a microwave). No sooner after eating it, it came quicker than it went in (TMI) and I had a windy tummy. Thankfully it has calmed down. Note to myself... Stay clear of pot noodles .... Trying a mixture of foods from the fibre list and some foods of the low residue diet and that seems to work, for just now. Have a good weekend. :-)
    • Posted

Morning to you, I am not too bad as it happens. I did go to the Docs last week as you know I had my results through the post and a copy had been sent to my Doctors so I thought that I should go and see what she thought about my diagnosis plus I was still getting some discomfort so I thought I should have some anti biotics to try and clear up any infection that may be down there.

Well I must say my Doctor was very laid back about it all when I mentioned extra fibre in my diet she just told me to put some whole bran in my breakfst cereal and that should do the trick, I got the impression that now I had been diagnosed that was the end of it and it was now out of ther hands and down to me.

Anyway I talked her into to giving me a weeks anti biotics which I jhave taken and yes it calmed things down dramaticly. I finished them on Tuesday and I have been fine ever since so am feeling quite good at the moment. Have gone onto Hovis 50/50 bread as the Wholemeal was just a step too far (in the direction of the loo mostly) which is much better for me and am eating more fruit etc but more importantly I am having a break for lunch now which I never used to do before and I think that is helping by eating at regular times.

So I have not actually changed my diet much just included more fruit and veg plus the bread of course, but then again I never eat Pizza, MacDonalds or stuff like that anyway, I have the occasional Curry and Chinese meal and I have been OK but Junk Food it's not really my thing.

Keep trying witht the different foods I am sure that you will settle down to a diet that agrees with you and you can get on and enjoy life more.

Am on Holiday for a couple of weeks now and then I have got a couple of Trade Exhibitions to go to so will not be around for a while but keep in touch.

Have a good week-end.

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.