Fibro or depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

Along with fibromyalgia I also suffer with depression (which I guess a lot of people with this horrid illness do) only recently I have been suffering more with random days of what seems like depression. But the symptoms seem different somehow. Like I don't really feel low I just have no motivation but I really do want to get up and do things but instead I end up staying on the sofa stressing out that I'm not doing the things that I want to do. But no matter how hard I try I just cavy combat it. I am also suffering more with tiredness. I will sleep through the for alarms I set each morning and even after 11 hours sleep at night I can spend the day sleeping on and off and feel shattered when I'm awake but then the next day I will naturally wake up early and have loads of energy. I used to do loads on these days but now I know to pace myself. It's winding me up that each day can be so different. Is this fibro or something else? Thank you for reading, Claire x

4 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your depression if we have to have this illness we certainly don't t want anything else with it I would ask for thyroid check if have nt already and also calcium I had a test for calcium some yes back coz I was sleeping a lot and also had muscle twitches which showed very low almost non existent calcium it then righted itself good luck x
    • Posted

I'm not sure if my doctor has checked thyroid but she has done lots of bloods. Not sure if she did calcium though. I will ask. I did have anemia for a while and was on iron tablets they helped a lot so may get her to check my iron out again. I also get muscle twitches, especially when I'm trying to relax e.g on the sofa at night or in bed. I'd put it down to the fibro but will mention it to docs again.. Thank you for your help. I hope you're managing okay x
    • Posted

I have suffered panic attacks since my hysterectomy 20 yrs ago and refuse to take meds understanding your having one helps a lot I can t go out on my own and have nt been on a bus in 19 yrs I'm lucky in fact I don't t have to push myself on that one thanks to family I had a counsellor come in many yrs ago but found it good to chat but we was nt getting anywhere so I stopped him I'm 60 next week so have lived with this long I'm sure I can manage I do work partime and 95% of the time I get a lift although I only work 5mins from my HSE on the odd day I do have to walk in a nitemare lol x
  • Posted

Hi Peppasmile we do get depression with fibro, some days can be worse than others.how your feeling its all natural and all to do with the fibro.we can have days when we are feeling low, but think to ourselves I want to do this this this today, but having the motivation to actually do it is another thing. stress worry make our condition worse just do things as when you can and when you feel like it. even if its just picking up the duster and dusting youve achieved something thats good. we musnt be hard on ourselves this is horrid condition to live and cope with, just take each day as it comes get through each day as best you can. fibro is different each every day, it waxes wanes in the symptoms and severity of it. staying calm trying to think positive easier said than done I know. not stressing worrying all helps especially pain wise. see if your area has a support group and get all the help support you can. take care gentle hugs  
    • Posted

Yeah I agree that it changes everyday. I do try to take it as steady as possible on the worse days and I tel myself I can't help it. Getting out of bed is a good enough achievement in those days etc. But I also struggle with OCD so it's hard to relax and stay calm in a sitting room that needs hoovering etc. So it's hard cause I've is done I feel much better abs like I don't have to beat myself up about it not being done. My partner is moving in with me at the end of the month though so hopefully that'll ease the workload a bit. Plus it's something exciting and positive to look forward to smile thank you, gentle hugs back to you x
  • Posted

Do any of you guys have any issues with your ears. When I am exhausted I get weird issue with my ears they pop then I can hear my heart beat and my breathing in my ears. It last only a few minutes and will back again several times a day when I am really tired i don't know if this is part of the fibro or I'm going crazy.
    • Posted

I suffer with weird buzzing and humming in my ears. I too can hear my heartbeat in my ears when I lay my head on a pillow etc. But that's more when I'm having a panic attack or worrying and my heart flutters with it too. Can you feel your heartbeat without having to put your hand your chest? X
    • Posted

If you suffer from panic attacks it's important to discuss this with your doc as there are many meds and antidepressants that will eliminate all those issues. 
    • Posted

hi Becka35  I have tinnitus, earache , buzzing in ear, its all part of part of fibro Im afraid I have these symptoms on a regular basis the tinnitus drives me mad.rolleyes take care gentle hugs 
  • Posted

Have nt experienced I know you can get tinnitus thru fibro but get checked might just be something simple
  • Posted

Yes I have a svt plus ectopic its horrible everything fades out eyesight wise when happening they don't t know what causes it other than electrical rhythm prob I had this diagnosed first but are now wondering if it is to do with fibro because it can happen x
  • Posted

Hi,

I suffer from FM. In many cases depression is part of suffering a chronic illness. Have you discussed the possibility of takining antidepressants! They will help with serotonin intake to feel better and help wth he pain. 

Also have you seen a rhumotologist? They understand this disease very well and can help you find meds that can help get you thru this. 

Anyidepressants have helped me a lot. It's like a curtain of darkness is lifted and I was better equipped to cope. 

Also stretching, walking, some simple exercises too!  Mabe ask for therapy, all helped me a great deal. Some OTC pains med work well to help and magnesium spray for sore a achey muscles and tendons. Heat packs. And wear support if needed. 

God bless you, & I pray that you find relief, strength, comfort, & ultimately freedom from your illness.

• Posted

Although these ideas are all great I am already doing all of them to no avail. Which is so frustrating. When I up my antidepressants they just stop me from being able to get happy so it's a difficult one to balance and so frustrating. Thank you though x
  • Posted

Hi Claire sorry to hear about your depression it's a awful disease my sister has it an I see how bad she can get with.. I feel your pain with ur no motivation an sleeping as I have been doing the same. I also feel so emtional at times an find my self crying at times for no reason what so ever an also find my self being knarky... I have put this down to fibromyalgia as I was told it causes all these problems.. I loved walking and exercising an even stupid things like playing football with my son an be am lucky just to get my self out of bed... Gentle hugs an keep your chin up kirsty xx
    • Posted

Thank you kirsty. I know what you mean about not being able to do the things you use to enjoy. I have a horse and used to compete quite a lot but now I can barely ride. My mum has had to start sharing him with me which really annoys me as I had him as a baby and he's 19 now so he has only ever been ridden by mesad I get knarky too which annoys me as I hurt the people around me. They understand why I do it but still I don't like it. Hugs x
    • Posted

Aww I now it's horrible being knarky an shouting at the ppl we love.. Am the same ave got dogs an can't walk them no more an it kills me not doing it hugs xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.