Fibro/ Restless leg syndrome

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have restless leg syndrome, some of the sensations you can have are, Burning, Crawling,Creepy and a tugging sensation. I have had the burning sensation. It has been very painful. it has caused me to have sleepless nights. Have any of you ladies gents had this  x

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I get what can only be described as a hot, slicing pain down my right thigh. I'm told it's nerve damage from my hip problems but it's definitely got worse with the fibro. I have recurring nightmares whereby I'm awake whilst a surgeon is cutting my thigh and there's nothing I can do. Then I wake up and realize the pain is real. If only there was something that would make us all feel better. 

Gentle hugs, Lisa 

• Posted

Its horrible when you have bad dreams like that, then wake up and the pain is very real.The burning last night was really bad,I felt my leg at one point it was actually burning hot and my ankle. so I stuck my leg out the bed it colled down. Ive found fibro seems to make everything worse. wish we could magic fibro away? take care gentle hugs xxsmile
  • Posted

HI i get this when my iron levels are low, need to keep takiing iron tablets to have a restful night,

• Posted

its not very pleasent to have is it, thats interesting you mentioning iron tablets, I wonder if its worth getting my gp to get mine checked. havnt had it done in a while. take care
    • Posted

Yes but pay attention Karen because (by experience) you may not have anemia (and that's what they usually test you for) and still have low iron reserves. For this you'll have to have a blood test for "Ferritin". smile 
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

Lots of people with fibro have it and although it's considered a neurological disorder, believe ot not, many times people that have it are iron deficient and if they take iron they'll improve. If you search for RLS + iron you'll see what shows up.  Take care. XX

• Posted

Thank you for that info teressa I wil lokk it up will also have word with gp when shes back off holiday, take care gentle hugs
  • Posted

When we are under stress, big stress it zaps out using up our B12 which affects our Iron levels drastically...  Zaps it out big time....  It is good to take a supplement every now and then to top up if prone to being depleted in B12 and Iron.  I don't have good iron levels.  I don't retain iron well.  It has nothing to do with Fibro though but it's not good when Flareups whack out the Iron in my system.  Also sometimes I have low white cell count at times...  I was given a script from the Hospital for Ferrous Phosphate tablets, the cheapest and easiest and strongest form of Iron.  Works very fast.  They use it for folk to when they are going for surgery, when they have low iron as the blood will be thin.  

When my iron is low, it doesn't make me ache or sore, it makes me tired...  Just as tired as a the Fibro fatigue...when you cannot stay awake anytime anywhere....

• Posted

Hi deb thank you for sharing with me, I have heard of those tablets you mentioned. Im going for a blood test tomorrow so will see if that shows that Im low in iron.will have a word with the nurse tomorow how are you doing? take care gentle hug
    • Posted

Careful to not ever take to many tablets as some folks iron levels come up very quickly within a day or week...   Either folk sometimes can get constipation or the opposite, running to the loo with seriously loose bowels.  You have to get to know 'your iron balance'...  When you see the pinks of your inside lower lid very very pale, under fingers nails very much low in oxygen, (Whitish Grey) and when you practice tightly unfolding and stretching out your hands from a relaxed position and the lines in your hands are not immediately Reddening or going dark Pink but are pale to no colour on good temperate days (not cold), then you could be lacking iron.   Iron is what carries the oxygen round in our body, so when very low in iron one is extremely tired or tires very easily.  Not to be confused with Fibro fatigue.  I only take a top up of Ferrous Phoshate when I know my signals are telling me.  I've had a long history with my iron and was told what to look for as a basis.  I have ignored these signals sometimes, and then Fibro brain shuts out my memory of 'to do'...   But it's handy to top up with even one tablet for one to 3 days after a bad Flare Up or seriously long days of harder to manage levels which drain us, due to body stresses with the pain.  Sometimes we think or, we are coping with those levels of pain but forget to check our iron levels, at which point a taking the odd B12, Zinc and Magnesium tablet from the healtheries as a top up even on the alternat days of taking an iron tablet is a good thing..but not over doing them, as we do get some iron, zinc and magnesium etc from our food to..  Banana's are a fine all round source of this food group.  One Bobby Banana eaten or rendered down into a thickshake is fantastic and filling!  Bless us strong warriors and long may we hold onto our sanity in our daily fight against the oppression of Fibro!
    • Posted

Morning deb how are you today? hope your not in too much pain. Im like you ive always had trouble with my iron levels. I was suppose to have a blood transfusion after my 1st born but never did. when I was pregnant with my 2nd son I had to have iron injections every other day for a month my iron levels were that low. Ive just got back from having bloods so will see what iron levels are like.I love bannans weve always got them in as a child I use to have bannana sandwiches. My son likes them in a toastie.we are certainly strong warriors having to cope with fibro every day, its an upward battle.never mind onwards upwards we go. take care deb gentle hug x
  • Posted

I'll just throw a comment in to this conversation as I've had this RLS on and off for a long time.   Recently however,I've found that giving up alcohol has stopped the RLS completely. Maybe worth a try.
    • Posted

Hi Marina  thank you for sharing that with me, I am tea total I dont drink due to having diabetes. its good that RLS has completely stopped for you thats 1 less thing to contend withsmile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.