Fibro & TMJ

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi All,

Just joined this site today on recommendation of my Dr. Today I have been diagnosed with TMJ, after suffering extreme pain for 6 weeks. It has really began to get me down.

I was diagnosed with fibro 2 yearsago and cope fairly well as my wonderful hubby does a lot around the house. I work from home as a childminder and tbh, some weeks I don't know how I do it. But I am learning to pace myself.

I am looking for any help or advice particularly with the TMJ pain altho would like to get to know other fibro sufferers too. Lou x

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

A Chiropractor really worked for me. Massaging the joint and points on the face keep my TMJ under control. I now know how to eliviate pain if it develops, which 'nips it in the bud' before it takes over. Maybe this could work for you?

Let me know how you get on.

Clair

• Posted

Thankyou, think I need to Google one for Bradford, one that has knowledge of tmj, many thanks will let you know, I've been off work for 2 weeks because I'm so wiped out with it :-( 
    • Posted

Hi Thankyou so much for this recommendation, I had my first session at the chiropractor today I go back Friday, I have never felt so relieved in my life, I can actually move my neck, I was so relieved I could  move it I cried, it's expensive but seriously worth the money if this is the relief it gives. I still have to wait for the referral to the maxi facial unit to sort my tmj, but for the time being I have some relief and can move my head without feeling sick, slowly but surely I feel like I'm getting somewhere! :-) 
    • Posted

No problem, really pleased for you! smile Good luck with the TMJ referral.
  • Posted

for TMJ, there are certain exercises you can do with your mouth to help loosen up the muscles. Getting the right minerals in your body to help muscles in general is also important. I actually have a chiropractor use an activator on my jaw to help ease the pain. I also read that even a missing tooth or some kind of dysfunction in your dental situation can cause TMJ. I am not well versed on TMJ at all because mine isn't so severe but some days it is hard to chew yet its never locked up on me or anything like that. I really feel for you. As far as the fibro goes, you are welcome to send me a private message because it depends on your symptoms and it is so complicated that I don't think this forum has a page long enough for me to give you all the information. actually, anyone is welcome to message me privately. But please know this is only based on my experience and the research I have done. I am NOT a doctor just an extremely informed patient who does not put up with the lackadaisical attitudes of most doctors.
  • Posted

Hello

Today is a very bad day for me with the pain of Fibro. I think the fibro fog has kicked in very bad...What is TMJ please? Regards Anne

• Posted

TMJ is your jaw joint by your ear, tempromandibular joint (I may be misspelling that). It clicks, is really tight, painful & can even lock up... that's called lock jaw. May sound basic but it hurt like holy heck & can affect your neck & give you headaches, etc.
  • Posted

Hi, I see you have an explanation, but here's a link,

https://patient.info/health/temporomandibular-joint-disorders

Mine was caused by traumer to the jaw. I was hit in the jaw by accident during sport sad

• Posted

Clair.

Dang. I can't even image how horrible that was and is. Mine is minor & from neck stuff. And still some days it hurts to eat, talk, etc. I FEEL for you!!!

• Posted

Under control now thanks! smile Although for ten years I didn't connect the TMJ with this at all and just tried to carry on!! Doh! wink
  • Posted

Hi just read ypur thread. 

Are you still replying to posts?

• Posted

Hi

I have had tmjd since jan and the pain led to depression and now I have fibromyalgia

My central nervous system must be so mucked up!!!

I am on strong pain killers qds and fluoxetine 40mg for depression. 

This was working for a time but now im starting to feel really fed up wiv it all. Not to the point of suicide but its one battle after another.

Trying to stay in work at reduced hours is painful but not going to give up as I feel things will get even worse then..im just wondering how do you manage it cos its getting even worse now sad...thanks in advance xx

• Posted

I am sorry but I am also trying to found out about TMJ.....Been so Dizzy for a long time now.....What are common symptoms with tmj....I have no pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.