fibroid

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi 

i have recently been diagnosed with a 17cm fibroid (which I believe has grow) I was prescribed tablets to shrink it but I have read that there is bad side effects which include weight gain, I have struggled with my weight and lost over 5stone so I am reluctant to start taking the tablets. I am 40 years old no children, in a loving supportive relationship but I am very scared in agreeing to a hysterectomy, I would really appreciate some advice because I just don't know what to do 

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you been prescribed Zoladex or Esmya? (or something else?)

I'm fourth month on Zoladex and I haven't had any weight gain. However, I have had hot flushes and mood swings. Having said that, I've taken care to keep my diet healthy and do plenty of walking. I think you'd be okay if you just keep tabs on your food intake and lifestyle... and with such a big fibroid, you really need to have it dealt.

Best wishes, Rosie

• Posted

From what I've read, esmya has a lot less menopausal side effects than zoladex. Everyone reacts differently to drugs so there is o way knowing in advance if you would put on weight. How long does the zolodex jab last for? If it's not long and doesn't suit you perhaps you could swap to a different drug
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies I have been prescribed esmya. I have passed the details of the tablets to my slimming group leader and waiting on her getting back to me 
    • Posted

Well like louise I understand esmya is much better than zoladex. I think as long as you stick with your diet and exercise regimes you should be okay smile
    • Posted

You're welcome, and good luck with everything!
  • Posted

I suspect you are a very good candidate for UFE (Uterine Fibroid Embolization). It is not an ObGyn procedure, IR's do this (Interventional Radiologists). IT IS A NON-INVASIVE PROCEDURE, i.e. No removal of women's body parts. I believe it is a quick and easy procedure with few if any side effects. Since you mentioned your weight in stones, you must be living in England or Australia. I believe I have seen women from both countries commenting on their UFE procedures. I suggest that you use search, and type in "UFE (and your nearest major city)" and see what comes up. Look for an IR doctor who has done several UFE procedures, the more the better probably. UFE cuts off the flow of blood to the fibroid so it shrivels up. You may be better in a few days or weeks, or on occasion longer, but I think it will work and protect you from more severe surgical procedures that's are hard on women, like hysterectomy or myomectomy.

Good luck! 

• Posted

PS DO NOT expect your ObGyn to recommend UFE, because they do not do these procedures because they are not medically trained to do them, only IR's are.
  • Posted

Hi

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with fibroids. I've had a year of dealing with them and in 2 weeks I am having a hysterectomy but that is my choice.

I had 2 courses of Esmya last year to deal with one very large fibroid. It didn't shrink much but my horrific bleeding stopped while on Esmya. My main side effect was a touch of acne ony chin. I did gain a little weght but I believe that was down to not exercising because of severe anaemia - and a big old fibroid!

I had the fibroid removed through TransCervical Resection (TCRF) in July. (Under general anaesthetic but no cuts or removal of anything but fibroid) I was back at work in 6 days and felt like me again.

Unfortunately my fibroids regrew so now I am getting rid of the source of the problem.

Everyone has their own experience and reaction to treatment but these forums kept me sane last year just knowing there were more people who could advise or guide through their own experiences.

I hope your treatment, whatever it is, is successful.

• Posted

Hi jaspy, I am having TCRF this Thursday and just wanted to ask was you in a lot of pain after and if so how long did it last? Also you said yours grew back. How long after you had them removed did they start to grow back? I work out 5 days a week and was also wondering how long I will be out of the gym. Sorry to ask so many questions. Really nervous and on two minds to go ahead with this.
    • Posted

Hi,

I had my fibroid removed at the start of July but the stem (attachment to the womb) was so large the surgeon couldn't remove it all. He told me regrowth was possible.

A bunch of small grape like fibroids was found at the start of September.

I was glad to have tried TCRF before going straight for hysterectomy. I felt fine the next day apart from air bubbles in my shoulder from the inflation of my womb. (Mint tea and warm wheat bag soothed this).

I wanted to go back to work after 2 days but my GP made me wait 5.

Also having the fibroid routinely tested after removal eased my fears it could have been cancerous.

I was nervous before it but am glad I had 2 months of feeling well and regained some iron before the whole thing started again.

Good luck with yours.

• Posted

Sorry forgot the bit about the gym - you know your body best. Because TCRF doesn't involve cutting externally (just shaving off the fibroid and womb lining) there's no scar or stitching. It felt like I'd had a heavy achy period (but after 8 months of living with an enlarged womb that's not surprising).

Take it as you feel - if you need rest rest, if it aches/hurts stop.

You probably need the endorphins from the exercise to help you recover if your body is used to working hard.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.I do feel much better and more at ease as I was really worrying I would be off work for a week and in pain. Sorry to hear yours had grown back, hope you are all sorted now. Thanks again x
    • Posted

I'm having a hysterectomy on March 18th. I'm not willing to live with fibroids for the rest of my life. Just want rid of the whole problem!
    • Posted

Only a few weeks away! Hope all goes well. Let us know how it goes, could be the next step for a lot of us. All the best and thanks again x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.