fibroid

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi 

i have recently been diagnosed with a 17cm fibroid (which I believe has grow) I was prescribed tablets to shrink it but I have read that there is bad side effects which include weight gain, I have struggled with my weight and lost over 5stone so I am reluctant to start taking the tablets. I am 40 years old no children, in a loving supportive relationship but I am very scared in agreeing to a hysterectomy, I would really appreciate some advice because I just don't know what to do 

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i think everyone is different, i have taken two courses of Esmya and have not have any bad side effects. 
  • Posted

I'd second what bill says. My gynae didn't mention ufe and I'm having to fight him to get a referral to an radiologist.
  • Posted

My daughter had 11cm Fibroid. The symptoms got so bad that her options reduced. She simply could not allow the f to take over her life. She needed 3 pints of blood as her HB levels were down to 6 ( should be 13). Pains and flooding blood every night. Late night trips to A&E. She took tabs for 6 months before an open myomectomy. She is now 4 weeks post op and looking and feeling well. Her symptoms included hot flushes, anxiety and mood swings but she felt this was acceptable for the outcome. She is a slim girl, put a few pounds on but attributed that to being sedentary after the op. She has since lost the few pounds. She's 20.
  • Posted

Hi candm I had a 10cm Fibroid I was 47 at the time. and to cut a long story short. I was put on Zoladex for 6 months with a view to me having a Hysterectomy after it was shrunk. I refused the Hysterectomy because it was the only procedure he offered me. Even so I went on the Zoldadex injections I did not gain any weight I lost weight due to the Fibroid shrinking. But here is the down side. I had the most severe hot flushes and HRT didn't work at all so I stopped after 3.

If i knew what I know now I would have refused the Zoladex until I had done my OWN research into what's available.

Large Fibroid the treatment options are

1 Myomectomy

2 Hysterectomy

3 Uterine Fibroid Embolisation

In my case the Gynocologist refused to do the Mymectomy and said that the 3rd option was painful and did not work. So that left Hysterectomy only which I did not want. I ended up doing my own research and found out that Radiologist does the 3 option which is why the Gynocologist did not want me to have it. I'm not saying they will all do that but the majority will. Do your research to find out what is best for you. Don't assume the hospital will tell you all your options in most cases they won't. Regarding your tablets I would have them cos they are different from the Zoladex injections but only if I had already decided to have a Hysterectomy or Myomectomy or If I could take them long term without menopausal symptoms.

I decided to have UFE which I had to fight for. just make sure you have researched yourself and let the Gynocologist know that you have done so.

One more thing if you do decide on a Hysterectomy they usually do a total which is womb and cervix removal if you don't want the cervix removed then you need to ask for a Subtotal Hysterectomy. Remember a woman gets her orgasms from the womb and cervix. I don't see any reason to remove the cervix as long as you have regular smears and you know there are no problems.

Hope this helps good luck

• Posted

Hi, I am on my 3rd course of Esmya and feel the side effects are well worth it. After all, hot flushes are not painful or debilitating like severe blood loss and cramping. The fibroids don't necessarily shrink a lot, but they soften and the bleeding stops. If you watch what you eat weight gain shouldn't really be a reason not to take them either. But you do have to persevere, the best results I've found are 6-8 weeks into the course. 

I have many medium sized fibroids and one large one, have only been offerered a hysterectomy. I would like to investigate the possibility of UFE though.

• Posted

Hi Christine I don't know how bad the hot flushes are on Esyma. But on Zoladex I was burning up every 20 mins even through the night so I was not getting a decent sleep. In my case I preferred the symptoms to the hot flushes. Everyone is different though. And of course it depends how bad the symptoms of a persons Fibroid is.

I can't work out of Esyma is taken short term pre surgery or long term instead of surgery. I was offered medication before UAE and I asked the Gynocologist if it caused hot flushes he said it did so I refused it.

• Posted

Yes at times my flushes were that bad, and yes my sleep was disturbed, but then when I was bleeding heavily I would have to get up at least once in the night to avoid flooding. So the flushes were preferable, but I appreciate they are an unwanted side effect.
  • Posted

I haven't really gained much weight on them. A couple of pounds from not exercising because of tiredness and anemia. I personally think that this out weighs the alternative of a hysterectomy. Mine is 9x9 and I could feel it when i pressed on my tummy. My first 3 months on them is nearly over so I'm curious to no if it has shrunk yet. Good luck with the course you take to get rid of your fibroid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.