Fibroid in uterus

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ok 2 weeks ago I went in for a Pap smear and after he finished that, he pushed down on my stomach and said he believe I have a fibroid tumor. I was like what? So he said he wanted me to come back in a week. So I went back the second time and he told me it was by the size of a baseball. So now I'm feeling so much of pain in lower abdomen and lower back. Along with dizziness, weakness and nausea it so horrible at times. So now my gyno want me to come back in the 30th for biopsy to rule out cancer. I'm so scared and plus I really want this surgery cause I am in so much pain

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi luv i woudnt worry about it being cancer most off them are not I got them I'm waiting to have a hysterectomy because off fibroids but my one as attached to my right kidney so it is deflating im on prostap injection and hrt to try and shrink it before I go under xx

• Posted

I would not worry about cancer. This biopsy is something Drs do as part of their 'work up' and ticking box procedure. I actually said 'no' to it, myself as involves a very small tube like a hysteroscopy going up into the womb. I only agreed to it to be done when I discovered I would benefit from having a fibroid removed by hysteroscopy at the same time and under anaesthetic... In order to deal with your fibroid and know more about it you need to have an ultrasound scan or MRI ( preferred) and to know what type it is ( submucosal, submural or subserosal)... This biopsy won't tell you anything on the 30th it is just for the Drs to tick their own box. It could even hurt a little without painkillers...We need to stand up to Gynaecologists. I did.. It's about helping us to feel better not prodding us about to suit their own agenda and tick their own boxes.   Fibroids are not usually cancer and the test is for uterine cancer they do so know for sure you don't have before treatment but a very small chance and not linked to fibroids. A Gynae I saw agreed I did not need it straight away and could have it whilst removing a submucosal fibroid later on ( which would be helping me )   Find out more before agreeing to everything the Gynae says to do is my advice.   You obviously don't mind a smear being done by a man. I would prefer a woman.  Can't help but think why would a man choose to be a Gynaecologist.   Try to get a scan to know what type of fibroid first , what size in cms and what the treatment options are is my advice. People on this forum also know about treatment options too if you want to share.  Good luck  

• Posted

Why would anyone choose a man for their gynae? Answer-When the women docs talk to you like your uterus is a piece of disposable meat and a male physician comes along and shows interest in healing your uterus. Had 8 gynaes and 1 intervention radiologist. The first 7 gynaes all told me without compassion that hysterectomy was the only solution starting from age 34 y - they were all women. Took One visit to a male gynae surgeon, the 8th doc 13y later to be rid of my fibroids and to be pointed to actual medical research to back all the options he offered me. He offered me 5 options (and the research to Support those recommendations), and advised me about what would not work for me and why. Based on my body's reactions to hormone supplementation and the age at which these women docs wanted to remove my uterus, I'd probably would have had a stroke by now. Never going back to women.

• Posted

May49858 I feel you on this one cause I went to a female gynecologist and to me she wasn't any help at all after I drive an hour to she her. She made me to feel like I was going due just because I had an abnormal pap with mild cells on it. I never looked back at her again.

• Posted

I am not a physician but NO Doctor I have ever seen for fibroids (and I have seen 8 over 13 years) has offered a biopsy of the fibroid. I would ask him why not an ultrasound or MRI? Biopsy just sounds invasive. That sai d, the timing of your symptoms and his diagnosis are interesting. Always ask as many whys as you can before you submit to any procedure. In terms of solutions_ I just got an abdominal myomectomy in May to remove 15 ugly fibroid critters. There are other options for you. Be encouraged.
    • Posted

No may49858 I had a biopsy on my cervix because of an abnormal pap. They now said it's a spot on my cervix which I am scared.

• Posted

Hi Jennie, 

As others have said don’t worry about cancer, most are non cancerous and they just have to rule out it’s not.  After that, then you decide what the best option for you is. For everyone it’s different. I did the UFE. Best thing I did. But look into what’s best for your situation. You will be ok. Don’t worry. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Sheila

am considering the UFE as well but am just a bit afraid of the fact that they may not all die out and infections as well as i have read on some reviews what were your own experience i have got 4 of them but i dont want surgery i want a less invasive method.

• Posted

Hi Jay, 

I had ten. The biggest one sat on my bladder which is the reason I was running to the bathroom so often. I didn’t have any infections. Was given pain killers but I didn’t like the side efffectd of them. Just took ibuprofen. I did have constipation. First week it was painful but with pain meds you should be ok.  Second week I literally had no energy. Just felt so tired. I wanted the less invasive method too. Glad I did it. 

• Posted

Oh dr did tell me upfront that it will take about 9-12 months before they completely shrink. I was aware of that. By the 12 mths I noticed a huge reduction of my stomach. I also saw the difference on the mri with my dr next to me, kind of a before and after. Was so cool to see the difference. 
    • Posted

thank you for sharing your experience i appreciate but waiting a year for it to shrink is a no for me gosh this little critters have got to go so i would go for the keyhole surgery hopefully but thanks anyways
    • Posted

I don’t blame you for getting the surgery,cause I wouldn’t want to wait a year for that thing to shrink I would be in too much of pain for that
    • Posted

You’re welcome. I didn’t have any pain so I was not in a rush to have them shrink and I just wanted something less evasive. Everybody is different and have different issues and goals. Best of luck to you and always stay positive 😊

• Posted

I was diagnosed with large grapefruit sized one. Consultant said it’s very rare that they are cancerous and never suggested a biopsy.

I’m getting an abdominal hysterectomy on Monday. Have had x3 prostap injections and HRT to shrink it prior to surgery. 

Had 6wks of tiredness, dizziness etc... low iron often the cause. Also had back pain and pins and needles in one leg. The lethargy and exhaustion is unreal!! Totally feel for you. I’ve had plenty of gentle walking and rest and a healthy diet to prep for surgery. Hoping to keep ovaries so won’t need HRT. Although it’s a big procedure, I just can’t wait to get it over and get my life back. I’m 44, never had any gynae probs and never heard of fibroids until I ended up in a&e with severe abdominal pain!! There are solutions and this difficult time will pass for you.Explore all options open to you and hopefully you can began some form of treatment soon. These things are crazily common and can be sorted. Stay positive! 

• Posted

How was you on the prostap injection has my first one that's month due for my 2nd but I've been bleeding just hope the moods do one xx

• Posted

Moods are tough, I had to continue with mfanamic acid tablets to stem the blood which worked a treat. I’m now 10 days post abdominal hysterectomy!! Feels great to be fibroid free and healing well. Ovaries intact and told I won’t need HRT.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.