Fibroids OB/GYN wants permission to remove everything!

Posted , 13 users are following.

I was told I need a hysterectomy for a fibroid. I started off OK with hysterectomy, but the more I read about it, I decided to go with a myomectomy. Did a second visit to OB/GYN about it and doc wanted to make paperwork for surgery even more (with possibility of Fallopian tubes and ovaries removed) and this is making me want to run to a new doctor. I just want the fibroid removed. Doc really seems to prefer hysterectomy. The ultrasound said one 14x15 cm (5 mo. pregnancy size) fibroid.

Should I run to a new doc, or try to get the doctor to make the paperwork say 'myomectomy' on the paperwork? What I mean is should I trust this doc to stick to myomectomy since doc says they will do what I ask but keeps trying to get me to agree to more? Starting over seems overwhelming but I don't want to have a surgery I don't want.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What is the reason the doc is saying hysterectomy is the only surgery?? That sounds absurd. Unless it were a malignant tumor, you do not need to remove the whole uterus! Doc sounds like he is a fossil who probably does not know HOW to perform a myomectamy. Also, you should consider UFE because it is much less invasive. I had an 11cm fibroid and they cut the blood supply to it so it literally melted out.

• Posted

The doc only discussed hysterectomy with me. When I ask the answer is yes to a myomectomy, but the paperwork says that doc could take everything. I left a message that I only will do a myomectomy, its got to be on the paperwork, and am waiting for the call back.

UAE, I don't think would be OK for me because I am sensitive to many substances. I was considering it, but if the plastic stays in my body, I am afraid of having side effects or a bad reaction. This bothers me that the doc didn't even discuss this option, as the website says they are 'minimally invasive', they even have the word myomectomy on their website! Ugh!

Can you tell me more about your experience with UAE. Does that substance leave your body? Did you have any part of the fibroid fall off into the uterus and need to be removed?

I did go to another office but not a gyn and they want me to take Progesterone, but I don't know if it will help with the size of the fibroid, however, if it stopped the excessive bleeding, it would buy me time to try another doc at the local university.

• Posted

firstly- change doctors this is ridiculous!

there are many different options to consider.

you need to get to a new doctor preferably a female doctor who can refer you to an interventional radiologist. the IR can ask for an MRI and see the position etc of the fibroids or fibroid.

google UTERINE FIBROID EMBOLIZATION.

it is less invasive and an out patient procedure.

unless it is life threatening you and all women should never have your ovaries removed. they are essential for our overall hormonal balance and taking them out is now connected to early onset Alzheimers.

i have 6 fiboids- i do castor oil packs every other day. self care belly massage the ARVIGO THERAPY way. no soy, no hormonal meats or foods. low sugar diet, enough sleep and visualizations. gentle stretches and aerobic exercise. i know i wanted children and missed that chance through blocked tubes. i am aware myself that things grow where we put our intentions. ask yourself want ypu want and what you need. i'm in nyc- not sure where you are- regarding doctors.

doctors get rewards for pushing women into surgeries including hysterectomies and caesarians too. stand your ground

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

I am looking into new docs.

I will discuss UFE as I am again looking into the particles they use to block the artery to see how safe they are for me.

I don't think things grow based on intentions, but do think they grow and our body lets us know something needs to be addressed. I never blame the patients' mind!

I tried several alternative techniques but could not get my fibroids to stop or shrink.

I always question with docs. I carefully chose this one, so am let down.

• Posted

Hi Kimjon,

I had UFE procedure, Uterine Fibroid Embolization. My gynecologist had no idea how to do one, so I had to find a doctor who could provide the procedure I wanted...less invasive one and keeping my body intact. My largest fibroid was 13 cm. If the thought of finding a new doctor is daunting, just remember this is your body and you know there are options, so do what is right for you. Doctor's specialize in different procedures and surgery, so just find one right for you.

Best of Luck.

• Posted

Thank you for this. I know it is what I need to do.

• Posted

Hello Kimjon,

I echo all of the comments so far. Get a second opinion because there are other options besides the hysterectomy. I too had the UFE and am 85% back to feeling normal again in a little over a year. Do your due diligence because this is your health and in the end you want to be happy with your decision. I wish you the best and this site is wonderful for providing support.

• Posted

Yes, you all are really coming through for me. I was so alone, it took me months to find you online!

Second opinion, they always say this and I am going to. Yes want to be happy, was feeling so much pressure, but better now.

• Posted

Hi kimjon,

Run. He/she lost me at fallopian tubes and ovaries. Even hysterectomies are done with the ovaries intact. The doctor sounds like they do not know how to perform a myomectomy and want permission to just throw out the entire sink should they botch the job and get overwhelmed during the process. Next he/she will say they also needs permission to slice through your bladder and maybe a few intestines. Sounds like a butcher to me and a very bad one with blunt blades and no idea of the reproductive anatomy. Please believe what your gut tells you so that you are not filled with regret or worse like being saddled with new health issues. Keep searching until you find a doctor who knows what they are doing. Was about to suggest that you ask him for referrals to his past patients but how would you know they are not paid actresses? Be your best advocate. Find a new doctor. There are skilled ones out there. HIs/her demands are obscene and belong to the turn of the last century gynecologists.

• Posted

Thank you! Sometimes you need to hear what you know to confirm you are doing the right thing.

• Posted

seems that the doc is a fake and has no clues about anything CHANGE HIM PLS. i am also waiting to have a mymectonmy done as well. i could not go for the UFE because i was advised that it is not good for me cos i want to have more children it could block a blood supply to the fetus if i get pregnant so i decided to go for the mymectomy instead at least everything is intact and they can easily remove all of them, i only would have to deal with the scar or pain afterwards which is nothing compared to living with this critters.

• Posted

Surgery canceled. Starting progesterone this week. Still plan to have myomectomy in March but with different doctor.

Thank you for encouraging me.

• Posted

The warning with UFE is if you have had a previous reaction to the dye or contrast material used for MRI or xrays. The plastic particles used can be different depending on radiologist. I am having polyvinyl alcohol. It is inert and causes no reactions.

• Posted

By progesterone do you mean a medication to remove progesterone like ELLA? Progesterone can cause an increase in the size of fibroids.

• Posted

I looked up polyvinyl alcohol and I saw that it shouldn’t cause any reactions. I hope that’s the case for me. Still looking up the radiologist.

• Posted

It was progesterone cream. The natural stuff made from yams. In my case it increased the bleeding and caused a lot of pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.