Fibromyalgia and Mental Health

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all,

I've just joined this site in a desperate attempt to find something that can help.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 6 months ago after a few years of unexplainable pain and the usual arguing with medical professionals. It's been a tough year as the pain and symptoms are increasing all the time. I keep thinking I may have reached the peak, only to be proved wrong and reach new levels of pain.

I'm used to coping with a lot. 4 years ago I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder after over a decade of being seriously ill. I'm a strong person and I've never let anything hold me back. I've been teaching now for 8 years and my career is going extremely well. 

I guess like everyone on here, I'm used to being strong. I'm used to smiling when I want to cry. I'm used to pretending that everything is fine.

But I worry that this time I've met my nemesis. The pain is now at the level that it's affecting my mental health. I have to work 12-15 hours a day. My work have been very understanding but in my job there are just no shortcuts. 

I know I can cope with mental pain and I think I could cope with physical pain. But the combination of both is...terrifying I guess.

If anyone has any advice or experience of Fibromyalgia and Mental Health conditions I would love to hear from you. 

Best wishes everyone x

5 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I just joined the group today & your message is the first I've read I have RA , Fibromyalgia & PTSD both are all over I'm 39 still rearing kids ( 3 girls ) been dealing with this well over 10 years I was  misdiagnosed for a lot of years well how I truly deal is I know I can't do it on my own Jehovah God & Jesus are truly my refuge a strong tower I've found that taking naps helps to cope better these disorders are very vicious & yes affects my mentality also I'm use to being strong yet it has truly taught me to trust depend on God also stress is not our friend even more so I read articles on best & worst jobs for people who suffer with  chronic illness & teacher was on the worst list I'm thankful to God I get my disability because controlling your environment is a must in order to even funtion on a day to day basis I pray you find comfort also my words help you ..
    • Posted

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Yes I am a strong women of Faith and am putting my trust in our Lord. Just not sure if anyone has suffered with bile duct pain as a result of fibro. The more research I looked up led me to believe this is not a fibro issue even though I do have fibro. This is a deep organ pain accompanied with nausea at times. Thank you again and God Bless you.
    • Posted

I agree, if it were not for my faith in Jesus and a place to cry out to I don't think I would be here today. I to have recently applied for my disability because I have not been able to work outside of my house for eight years. The stress from not being able to control your environment is just too much.

• Posted

Hi Smiler these are just my thoughts after 9 doctors and 4 stays in hospital every tablet under the sun and also just turning 50 I found that lack of sleep over a long period is the trigger the body simply doesnt repair itself and this accumulates and then fibro effects your mental health ask your Dr about citalopram sandoz start on 10mg then go up to 20mg great for mental health dont watch to much TV you must bring your stress levels down and most of all sleep and if you can keep afternoon meals small this way the body will repair cells instead of replacing them...PS trust what your body is telling you the doctors told me that I needed heart surgery after 3 nights in hospital and having the surgery it turned out to be fybro anyway all the best take care Tony from OZ.
    • Posted

Thanks Tony, mine is a pain in my common bile duct area. I had a procedure done 2 weeks ago where the pulled a balloon through the bile duct a few times and after the pain was in the same area just much worse since the messed with it. Even though I have fibro after researching it I don't believe what I have going on inside is fibro related. Just praying God will reveal the source so we can deal with it. Thanks again and God bless.
  • Posted

I was first diagnosed with FB in my late 20"s after that everything continued to go down hill now I am in my mid 40's and I am now on disability. Don't let people give you false hopes with FB because that happened to me as well. I have gotten into the 6th stage of the disorder and nothing helps. no medication cures FB. the last stages are teriable they effect your memory your days run into each other. and when I push myself to do things I know I will suffer with the next day or for the next week or even a month. I get upset with myself for going too far. I am not going to blow sunshine up your you know what on this because there IS NO cure for this condition. when you get to the stage I am in then you will understand no physical thearpy will work it only agravates the condition even worse. Been there done that... I have had the shots and they only last two myabe three days if I am lucky. My mental state is now to the point that I forget what I did or even said the day before. My mind wanders off while in a conversation with others. I can be in the mid stage of a sentance and then forget what I was about to say. this happens now everyday. It is very fustrating when I find out that my mind has gone on vacation for days or even weeks.  And have no recolection of what I have even done or said to the people around me. A couple of days from now I wont even remember writing this post to you, or even remember the website. I hate my hair and I hate my clothing. Do not be fooled by other people telling you it can get better. I was told that too. I never got better and then I found out the stages and how many there are. I can't even go to a store and walk around it for even 15 mins before I have to sit down. I am exhausted from store runs and lifting things is a quick NO DON'T DO. I know how this condition effects my friends and my family. even walking to the bathroom and taking a shower hurts now. There is no pain pill out there that can help me at this stage. I have tried. Lyrica helped for the first 3 years but even it stopped helping. I live in wide spread pain all over my body now and not just in certian areas anymore. That is the bare bones of FB. I will be 46 next month and I feel like I am over 100 years old. Don't let doctors give you the feeling of false hope. It never goes away. there is NO CURE for the pain no matter what the Pain med is. I know I have been there. I have taken them all. vitamins don't help also. I have tried herbs over the years too. that was also an epic fail. Your food change well yes I have to laugh at that too. Over the years of dealing with this condition you will be alianated by your friends, your family and your own children. except the ones that see what you go through. I am lucky to have the husband I have because he has watched my suffering. He has also watched it get worse over the corse of 13 years. He has watched me loose my mind and I have had to go to mental hospitals as well. This condition as the years roll by get worse and worse. your too tired all the time.  and not just some of the time. when you do have a good day you throw yourself into as mush work as you can then your down for weeks or months. untill you have another good day . then the process continues. your body becomes imune to medications and they have to keep changing what they give you over the years that roll by. I wish you luck with your problem and hope you have more years to be active than what I have had. 

My Blessing goes out to you.

• Posted

Hi there I was dx with fb and finding difficult also physical and the mental pain is worse and find that the most hard I always be strong loved my job as a nurse(this has not help me as been out of profession for 8years) due Ill health deal and help by voloturing but only dx 8 weeks ago and my menal health has suffered and the mental health system has not help just made thing worse is there a massive lack of understanding of fb and no support stop taking all medication

Dave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.