Fibromyalgia and PIP

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all, hoping your day delivers you the least amount of pain and the maximum relief as possible lol

I have had Fibromyalgia for over 7 years but have onlt recently claimed PIP. I can no longer lift heavy objects or cut up small food so I have real problems with preparing and cooking meals.  I have to have my partner help me get dressed and showered and to dry and style my hair; anyway I had a text on Monday saying they had all the informaiton they need and will carry out my assessment. I was wondering if anyone else with Fibro has a sucessful PIP claim and also how long after the message that they have all the required info' does the desicion letter arrive?

Sending gentle hugs.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi beanieles hope u are well I've got fibro and chronic fatigue syndrome and have a pup assessment on Friday just wondering if u could halo me with what happens on assessments I'm now having panic attacks worrying about it ,many thanks

• Posted

Hi Tina,

I also have fibro and many other conditions and claim Enhanced Mobility and Standard Daily living PIP BUT it's not about the diagnosis for PIP it's how your conditions affect you daily. Have you taken a look at the PIP descriptors? To claim PIP and score those much needed points you have to prove those descriptors apply to you. If you haven't already sent evidence i would strongly advice you to take it with you to the assessment. They mostly don't contact any medical professional!

They'll be watching you from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave. They'll ask you questions mostly related to the form you filled in at the start of your claim. Don't just answer with a yes or no if you can't do something or have difficulty doing something then tell them why in as much detail as possible. If you can take someone with you then great as this will help. There's plenty of info on the internet with peoples stories about the assessments, if you can try and do some research. You have left it a little late to do this but anything will help right now. The assessment could last anything up to 1 hour but i'd say most probably 45 mins or less if you're lucky. A few days after your assessment ring DWP PIP and ask for a copy of the assessment report. Ths will give you some idea on the decision because mostly the decision maker will go with what was said in this report. You'll need at least 8 points for a Standard award and 12 points for Enhanced. Good luck and please do let us know the outcome.

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply so quick,I've been reading up a few things on the internet but mostly all bad outcomes or different situations,I've got my letter of diagnosis and all my medication ready and written down what I take when I take and so On,im just worried that because I work currently on maternity leave this will knock me back,I've got 2 young children and I'm thinking will this affect me? My husband is fab and does a lot for me,also my mother in law helps with my boys and they also go to Day nursery,I've heard they watch u to me that wouldn't be a problem... I can't get my husband to stay home while they asses me as he has work will this affect me doing it on my own many thanks

• Posted

A letter of diagnosis is ok yes. I would advice you to take more if possible. Evidence on how your condition affects you is the best. Occupation Therapist reports, a letter from your GP or even a letter from someone who knows you well detailing what they do to help you during the day/night. Do you need help dressing/undressing, washing, bathing, how far you can walk without pain and discomfort, do you need help cooking, budgeting, cutting your food or preparing food? Anything like this. You can even right a diary for yourself and take that. Your medication list needs to be a printed out copy from your GP rather than something you've writen out yourself.

Working shouldn't go against you because people work and claim PIP. I personally don't work because my health is affected so badly with all my conditions. No going alone won't or shouldn't go against you either. How do you plan on getting to the assessment if you don't mind me asking? Do you have issues with your mobility? Having kids won't affect you either. I've got children and many others have too. Also just be careful and think before you answer any questions because there can be some trick ones in there too.

Most of what you read on the internet is bad because people don't tell their good stories because they have no questions to ask. I've had 2 PIP assessments in the last few years and i have to say mine weren't that bad.

• Posted

Hi yes got the diagnosis letter,also got letters with dates of therapy appointments,asked doctors for list with my medication on, but like u said it's to late for doctors to give me a report now as takes 2-4 weeks but could get one if needed,I've got a home visit ,so if I was to write down all the side affect and problems I have as I have ssri, I'm now suffering panic attacks anxiety,some due to me going back to work as I don't think il manage it ,I can walk but I suffer after I've walked ,I can wash but need help in and out bath,my husband does all the bills due to me being very forgetful doctors said it's fibro fog.what exercises will they ask me to do and so on or are all different ? People even say they assess u on your appearance and your home is this true thanks again

• Posted

It affects me physically and mentally as I've start to get depression and have a lot of anxiety and stress due to not being able to do as much with my children

• Posted

Appointment letters are of no use at all im sorry and i doubt it very much if they'll will even accept them as evidence. What they'll concentrate on during the assessment is those descriptors and how they apply to you, that's how they'll score you. They'll probably ask you to bend down, lift your arms up, lift your legs up, put your hands behind your back, stand on tip toes, if you have problems with your hands they may ask you to hold something or possibly hold onto the finger (to see how your grip is) Yes they will most certainly look at how your dressed, even your hair. I have no idea about your home because i never had a home assessment i wasn't that lucky. I highly doubt they'll judge you on your home. They may ask about pets if you have any, especially a dog.

• Posted

Also all evidence muct be dated within the last 2 years.
    • Posted

No pets at all,haven't got time for them due to illness and the children,I've only got appointment letters due to only just got a place for therapy been on a waiting list .are the discriptors all the questions they will ask me like for example how far can I walk without discomfort..so the excersices they won't push me to far then? So shall I dress as a scruff on the day then? I've had to wait for 30 weeks for a appointment tho, are u from the uk may I ask ? I know u get he pip back dated but do u get tax credits back dated as someone mentioned I could get tax credits if I am accepted

• Posted

oh dear appointment letters are one thing they don't want to see. If i were you i'd write a diary for the next few days and ask someone who knows you well to write you a supporting letter. If you dont then you may have problems proving your difficulties. Not great news to hear i know.

Yes the questions are based on the descriptors because that's what PIP is all about. No they won't push you to do anything just tell them you can't and why id this is the case. Do you normally dress scruffy? Just do what you normally do each day. Be truthful and honest which is the best way to be always, expecially when it comes to benefit claims!!

Yes i'm from the UK otherwise i wouldn't be claiming PIP as it's a UK benefit. Tax credits are usually back dated 3 months but to get disability elemant of working tax credits you'll need at least an award of Standard in Daily living. Please take another look at those descriptors to make sure you fully understand exactly what PIP is all about. You have to prove you fit those descriptors. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.