Fibromyalgia & Breast pain

Posted , 34 users are following.

Hi There, I was just wondering if anyone else suffers from breast pain/tenderness due to Fibro?

I have pain elsewhere as well (thighs, knees, hips) but was really wondering if anyone else has suffered from this? My doctor thinks it is related to my fibro & doesn't think it is anything serious, since it is in both breasts & not in one spot. It is mostly on the sides of my breasts & my ribs are sore as well.

7 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Pam069,

I have been having breat pain for maybe 5 years now, i know i am perimenopausing, this is very depressing for me, i did a mammogram two years ago

it went well and i did another 2 months ago and that was ok too, i have a running pain occasionally in my breast, i have pain at the sides also and under the breast i do have tenderness in my muscles in my chest when i press on it, i dont know if having back pain is a part of my breast pain/tenderness symtoms, as soon as i get up i and start moving around my back hurt i go to a therpist they gives me excercise it doesnt help much but i am thinking why cant i get better, i go back to the doctor again to see whats happening as i am not feeling normal i have soooo many symtoms in my peri menopause its crazy i count at least almost 30 symtoms sad, i have proberly gone through 6 years of peri menopause, this is veryyyyy draining sad well good luck to you and all the other women on this post, i have heard about taking certain supplements to help but not sure yet will let you all know more i know of one now which is evening primrose oil, i havent tried it yet, but i will this week when the stores are open as it is easter holidays here, greeting from the Netherlands Marlene

• Posted

Hi there, I had a virus 2 months ago and went to the doctors as was still feeling very weak and started getting pins & needles in my hands, feet, arms and legs.  He told me it was post viral syndrome and gave me some amitriptyline. I have been tKing them only a couple of weeks, but noticed I've had this aching pain down the right arm and underneath by my armpit. It kind of feels sore too. I panicked because I lost my mom with breast cancer and feared the worse but can't feel anything?

after reading the forum I am wondering whether this can be FM as I suffered with it a few years ago. I think it was one of those things that seemed to disappear after a time and didn't really notice.

This week however, I have started to feel nauseous and slight loss of appetite. Still getting the pins and needles and the aching pain in my arm. Can these symptoms also relate to FM.

• Posted

I do have had pain in the side of y breast, mostly in one ara.  Kind of like a burning pain.  had unltrasounds, MRI and Mammo...They said no tumors..horrayyy but what then is this pain?  I can feel it in my back, when I get it on the side of my left breast...anyone have this?

• Posted

That sounds like what I am experiencing.  It was bad then it let up for about a week and now it's back.  My underarm area hurts as well.  It is an irritating pain like bad fabric rubbing against your breast causing an irritation!  It also burns on the inside. I've been using Arnica gel which does help but I was starting to worry about cancer until I read all the posts here. 

• Posted

I'm glad you asked this question. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a year ago & I thougt the rib hurting was from that. But, I had no idea it could cause breast pain as well. I need to get a mammogram just to be sure. But, so relieved others have had the breast pain well. I, also, thought it may be menopause. I had to have a hysterectomy 4 years ago. 

I was wondering if anyone with fibromyalgia itch a lot. I've changed soaps, detergents & etc. Still itch, even if I get a impression from socks, covers from sleeping and all that, sends an itching jag. Lastly, if I wear anything clothing 

that isn't a plain material, like cotton, just the feeling of fuzziness, extra threads, etc.I itch until I have scratch marks all over.

• Posted

I have been using iodine drops for several years at least.  I've been on iodine groups so I have not gone into this blindly....Every tissue in our body needs iodine and MOST are deficient in iodine unless one is consuming mega sea foods.....

When I've skipped iodine for a while, I would get breast pain and tenderness, so now never miss my dosing and no pains anymore.   

I do not wear a bra now for over 4 yrs and have not taken mammograms for probably 25 yrs give or take....I was given the FM dx in 1999  and I also deal with body wide OA......Joy 76 US

• Posted

Hi Lisa I AM itchy all the time with breast soreness and achy joints everywhere
    • Posted

Yes Lisa, itching is a problem with fibromyalgia. I have had fibro for 30 years. I have the breast pain as well.
  • Posted

Hi pam just been reading the forum on your fibro, I havnt been diagnosed but have been having symptons on off for months and I am also in menopuase and have breast pain like a gnawing pain through the breast, pain in shoulder and ribs neck and general malaise , my question to you how can they diagnose this fibro I have always had knotted shoulders and took massage heat and seemed to get better but now it's worse , I ache all over like I have flu, but I get up keep going I still do yoga Pilates and other classss but eve and morning the worse, once I am up moving I am not to bad, I take pain killers most day which I have to take an acid inhibitor , I just want to know what it is and how to get diagnosed with all these ache pain. Bloods ok chest shoulder xray ok too, seeing my dr fri think she just think a pull muscle in my upper back . Hope to hear back as notice 2 months ago your post, also other problem of my symtoms is costochrondritos , I know I shouldn't google !! 
    • Posted

There is no actual test to diagnose Fibro. It won't show up in blood work or x-rays. It's usually diagnosed by a rheumatologist. She will do the tender point test on you, as well as bloods to rule out other conditions....
  • Posted

Yes I have Pam and also was diagnosed with costocondritis(spelling). You get that pain under the Brest bone and it feels like a Heart Attack. Was admitted 2 years ago to the hospital had to have a heart cath to make sure it wasn't a heart attack! Scary!! 
  • Posted

Hi all

so relieved to read this as I am having exact same symptoms and have on and off for around 3 years now. It's so worrying isn't it sad I have silicone breast implants and I only get the pain on the right side but it's like a burning gnawing pain. I am hypermobile and have never been diagnosed with fibro but I have so many symptoms that point to it I am convinced I must have it! 

Strangely though all my aches and pains are only on the right side of my body, head to toe! It's crazy. Maybe as it's my dominant side, I don't know. Went to breast clinic twice 2 years ago and all was fine so I'm reluctant to keep going back but some days the pain is unbearable. Nice to speak to others in the same boat although I'm sorry you're all in pain too xxx

• Posted

To be diagnosed with Fibro. you have to have pain both below & above the waist & on both sides of the body. Have you been to a rheumatologist yet?
    • Posted

Hello. Hope you reply I was reading your post and everything you have stated is the same as me. Found it so comforting to know that I'm not the only one in this world with these problems. I have just found a small lump'right side' of breast and all my pains are'right side' just as yours are. I am going to get it checked as have implants like you. Wish I didn't have them to be honest. Second time over for me. I'm 44 years old and wills love to Here from you. Amanda x
    • Posted

I don't have implants, but I often get one sided pain & sometimes it's on both sides. I am going for an ultrasound tomorrow actually for a lump I found as well. Doctor thinks its a cyst but gotta be sure so off I go....wish me luck sad I am 46 years old 
    • Posted

Hi there, I see your post is 3 yrs ago and wondering how your doing? I have 11 yr old silicone implants and really bad right breast pain along with my ribs neck and back all on my right side too. I also have so many other symptoms related to breast implant illness. I have a appointment to see a plastic surgeon next Monday to get them possibly replaced with saline if I decide to replace them at all. 

I’ve never been to a doctor for the fibromyalgia but according to all my research silicone leakage can cause symptoms of it. So I am wondering if you ever found out what is or was causing your symptoms and how you are doing today.  Thanks, Jo Ann

• Posted

Hi Jo. Here I am 3 years later currently having a flare of exact same symptoms! I was sent to the breast clinic a couple of times and had ultra sound and was examined and they said everything was intact and saw nothing sinister so was discharged and that's that. I do have pain free times but these same symptoms keep coming back. Are yours constant or do you have breaks? Mine are about 10 years old now. I'm sure simply having this foreign object in my body has triggered these symptoms even if they're not leaking! Xx

• Posted

Hi Amanda so sorry, I couldn't log in and my email notifications were going to spam. Just found loads of questions from years ago! How are you doing did you ever get any answers? I'm still suffering the same but they symptoms are on and off. I went to the breast clinic twice and all was intact and no lumps or anything so they said it's muscoskeletal so basically due to my fibro and hypermobilty xx

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me. 

My pain was more on and off until recently and now a lot more on unfortunately. I also suffer from so many more symptoms besides what I told you already. Besides the pain being the very worst I also have peripheral neuropathy that also comes and goes. Actually the worst is my brain fog and confusion I have on and off every day now. It’s so hard for me to even miss easy decisions. Also real bad joint pain in my thumbs and in my right hip sometimes. 

And bad headaches, easy brushing bleeding and on and off cronic itching all over. Of course fatigue and unexplained weight loss. Anyway I’m a mess!!! I’ve been to so many doctors and have had so many tests that come back fine. I even thought i had liver disease so had all the scans and tons of blood work and it all is good too. So next step see if it might be breast implant illness. I’ll keep in touch and let you know. Btw, where do you live? I’m on the central coast of Oregon in Depoe Bay. 

Take care,  JK. 😊

• Posted

Wow you sure do have a lot going on. I get hip pain, well joint pain all over really and the brain fog too. Please let me know how you get on if there is any link to the implants. I am actually in England UK! Take care xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.