fibromyalgia sympoms

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've had symptoms of fibromyalgia for about 18mths but didn't know what it was till recently, had all kinds of tests and was told im a 'medical mystery' but the more i read about fibromyalgia the more I'm convinced thats my problem. I really want to go back to the Dr's but don't wanna get fobbed off again!! and really don't kno' what else to do..I can't sleep cos of pain, i ache all the time due to stiffness, i have restless legs, spasms, sensitive to pain, slowed speech and painful periods..i get emotional when i try to talk about the symptoms cos im so frustrated!! 

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kyroar, I really feel for you. I've had FM for 20 years now. It started after a severe viral lung infection that went undiagnosed for 6 months!! (It can come from any type of trauma, including surgeries.) I have been to all kinds of drs. and have had every test under the sun. It is very frustrating to try to get people/drs to understand what you are going through. I am from the states and I found this book that all FM sufferers should read... it was written by a female DOCTOR who touches on everything you have - and will - experience. She is brilliant and you will feel like you have someone who finally understands and it is great because you can take this to your doctor and show them that this is real and this is how you are feeling and they will listen because a doctor wrote it! The name of the book is "Fribromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain, A Surival Manual" written by Devin Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland. She explains how the myofascial tissues between the muscles becoming tightened (instead of supple) and this has something to do with the nervous system. AND, a good thing that I also found after 20 years of doctoring (15 w/ a rhuematologist that only wanted to give me muscle relaxers and pain pills...) is that a drug for the nervous system called Lamictal (lamoTRIgine), helped with the nerve relays from the brain to the muscles WITHOUT pain meds! It greatly reduced my pain. Not sure if this will work for everyone, but I want to get it out there in hopes that it my help others. Do you have this med available in the UK? I am going to copy this note and paste it in other discussions on this site so that it becomes so redundant... in hopes that everyone can check this book and med out. Best wishes to you and hang in there. 
    • Posted

i know what you say is true because i was much worse afetr a hyesterctomy ,i absolutly dread needing another operation because it leaves you with such bad flare ups and pain in the the area of the op permently.sad

iv got have a tooth out soon and i am so dreading it ,if it comes out easy wont be to bad ,but if they have to pull and tug a lot 

i am going to be in pain for weeks , and as pain killers cause me such problems i am worried sick .what i will do if this is the case .confused

and mostly its the medical proffession that makes our problems worse by not listening to what we are saying and even when they do they dont seem to get it .rolleyes

we are not whimps ,we have a condition that makes us over sensistive to pain  , its stressful for us dealing with extra pain with out them thinking that we are big babies . eek

• Posted

does anybody else suffer with walking problems, i sometimes walk like I've had a few too many when ive not even touched a drop, i have like a floaty feeling as if my feet wanna do their own thing...i still haven't plucked up the courage to go back to Dr's yet about my sympoms because im scared of bein fobbed off....
    • Posted

Hi ,yes I have terrible walking problems I always feel light headed and as if my feet carnt find the ground and I often trip over my own feet ,it's truly frustrating and people think I'm drunk which dosnt help . I was once a compedant gymnast with brilliant coordination but now I'm a clumsy oaf . The only thing I find that helps is almost shuffling my feet and walking very slowly and to make sure I walk on even ground . good luck and persrviere with your doc ! 
    • Posted

i broke my nose 2013 because i didnt feel a slight rise of a paving slab under my foot until it was to late went down with a hell of a bang broke my nose and a bone in my hand ,and gave my self slight concusion as well

.now  i make sure the boots i wear are a good fit not to loose and i only where 2inch heel and a normal sole it was the slight platform sole that made me fall .and no matter what if i am not with someone to hold on to i take my stick , sad

• Posted

i try to avoid uneven ground so i dont trip up! i also have like a tremour in my legs/knee's an when I'm stood still they shake like crazy...an feel like their gonna give way or something, i also try to avoid alcohol an social events these days cos if I even have 1 drink I look like I've had a skinful lol..i may 'lol' but its soo bloody frustrating when i used to be the life and soul of any social get togethers, now i just sit in a corner twiddling my thumbs watchin everyone else havin fun!! 
    • Posted

oh god know that one i used to love a drink now just one makes me so fatigued for days , its not worth it . every thing this condition takes from you ,

its a right stinker .frown

• Posted

i try to avoid uneven ground so i dont trip up! i also have like a treour in my legs/knee's an when I'm stood still they shake like crazy...an feel like their gonna give way or something, i also try to avoid alcohol an social events these days cos if I even have 1 drink I look like I've had a skinful lol..i may 'lol' but its soo bloody frustrating when i used to be the life and soul of any social get togethers, now i just sit in a corner twiddling my thumbs watchin everyone else havin fun!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.