fibromyalgia with swollen hands

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed early last year with fibro went to docs and pain clinic at hospital. Been told I have also anxiety disorder called GAD and I have recently been told i have depression. I am 32 [sad] I have worked  since 16 in retail and i loved it but over the past 10 years i have been riddled with pain,low mood swings and upset and sleep dreadful. I was put on tramodol,amitriptyline and naproxen which i was on for over a year but tamodol was making me sick and dizzy so i changed to co codomal they dont seem to touch me some days with the pain. I have pain allover mainly my back,knees and hands. My hands swell up badly when i use them and now my knees have started doing the same.I cant even do simple things like wash my hair sometimes as pain really bad.My knees look like balloons at the minute. I find that somedays i dont know what to do. I find a hot bath eases it sometimes i have to have a hot water bottle everyday on my back and i use deep heat spray but now im desperate to help relieve this pain. I was told by hospital to exercise but sometimes i cant even walk properly.

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Melissa

I had to reply to this, as im sitting here with hands like boxers, so my husband keeps thinking its funny to tell me!  I am 57 and have finally been diagnosed with Fibro after years and years of dreadful night pains that I couldn't explain. I started to get so many other symptoms about 8 years ago until I went to the doctor about it all, after lots of tests they diagnosed Fibromyalgia. I am glad I finally know what it is, but I can honestly say in the last 4 years it has got worse than ever. I get really bad swollen hands and feet (my shoe size has gone up one since last year) and my body swells no matter how much exercise and watching my weight. I dont think anti depressants are the answer. I think the side effects are just not worth it.  I have started going to a gym, something I absolutely hated the thought of. But I do pilates, yoga, body balance etc and although it doesnt take the pain away, it really helps to relax your body. I know what you mean about hot baths, I practically live in the bath.  My big problem is that its hard to get people to believe all this pain im in and everything as it doesnt show. Like today, Im totally exhausted, and feel just walking up the stairs is an effort, yet another day I could do anything. I cant explain the pain to my husband, one thing I say is that my body feels like that horrible sensation when youve laid on your hands all night and wake up to the numbness and pins and needles.. well im like that all over. Gentle stretching like pilates definitely helps.

• Posted

hi ann

im so glad that you replied because it does make you feel like you are on y our ownsadi have put weight on this past year i would loive to excercise but too scared to be in more pain if thats possible!? i used to be fit and slim and go the gym,party with friends all night and work over 50hrs p/w. a lot has changed since then everythings different and somedays i can accept it and other days the bad days its really hardsad my boyfriend does try his hardest to u ndestand but like you say because you cant see some sides of fibro its hard. im glad you find that exercise works for you keep going all best

• Posted

I have experienced just what you are going through swollen hands also burning, numbness and only have mild carpal tunnel in one hand and I experience this in both. My knees are swollen and hurt really bad and use heat packs. It started with my feet swelling and the rheumatologist said that wasn't the Fibro but my regular doctor says it is. She immediately checked me for Hep a and b which I knew I didn't have. Totally flipping me out waiting a week for test results and had me worried. Why do these dr's do this crap! I feel your pain, I am the same. I do anything and I have pain. Started trying to exercise and of course pain. Some days I just want to give up. Besides the weight gain from all these mess. Very frustrating as you know. Can't even wear my wedding rings some days. All mine happened after 3 hernias being fixed which I thought I had one. One week later pain all over started. What about you? Do you remember anything in particular that happened? Have a good day!
    • Posted

hi lucy,

i dont get the burning i do get a lot of throbbing almost and hands swell righ up and i cant bear picking up things or sometimes even moving them. typin on the computer like this hurts me as i have to move my wrist and it irritates itsad i hope your results are ok i think once you are told you have it in a weird way you kinda feel relieved but then stressed and upset because you dont know where you go from there! im not sure what started mine i have had a car accident and i have been beaten up badly a few times i have had swine flu and also anemia so clueless!!sadall best

• Posted

Hi Melissa

My pains started in 1993 and was in my right hand. The pains came from nowhere. I thought I had knocked my hand on something and ignored it for a week but the pain was getting worse. I went to my GP and the first thing he said was that I had RSI and put me on anti-inflammatory meds as I had swelling in my hands too. Weeks went by and the pains were getting worse and GP put me on more meds. Months went by and still no relief and I started to feel low as the pains were getting worse. To cut the long story short, I have pains in boths hands and shoulders neck and back. I was only diagnosed with Fibro in Aug 2014 and still I'm suffering. Just holding a spoon is painful or even and umbrella when it's raining outside. Combing my hair and doing general day to day chores is a challenge.  I have learnt to live with it. Also underwent some Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) which helped with the mindfulness in the thought process. Taking a day at a time is the best way forward.

I really do feel for you and hope you get some relief soon. wink x

• Posted

I'm not sure swelling is supposed to be typical of fibro at all. I think nerves can imitate the feeling of swelling but if the swelling is noticeable to look at and in more than just 1 Area I would be asking for a rheumatologist appointment asap.

Good luck

• Posted

hi charlotte i was referred at hospital to pain clinic and they seen my hands swell tbh they werent that helpful im going to speak to my gp again tommorrow about it cause im really struggling with movement picking up things and everyday general thinngsad I have been taking pictures on my phone everytime it happens to show the gp tommorrow. all best
  • Posted

Hi Melissa, my fingers have been swollen for 8 months and was convinced I had RA, all started last May with Gastritis and havent felt the same since. Rheumatologist did X-rays and scans but all ok. Crp levels slightly high but diagnosed Fibromyalgia , so swelling is part of Fibromyalgia . I was told by the Rheumatologist the only difference between RA and fibro is Ra destroys the bones but everything else is the same . I belong to the gym but feel worse for attending it and the classes, been on loads of diets but putting on weight. I haven't found any Relief from any medication yet and some days become desperate .
    • Posted

Mine also started as a bout of gastritis in Aug and i haven't been right since. CRP also slightly raised but the doc doesn't think it's anything to be concerned about. My fingers also swell but i have so many other symptoms, IBS, tinnitus, severe crepitius in the joints, flashing light syndrome,. I wasn't taking much notice of the swelling until i read this post. I was diagnosed privately as havingvFM as i was pushed from pillar to post with all my symptoms. Here's hoping a miracle cure isn't far away
    • Posted

hi julia

i know i think ive had mine for near 10 years maybe more but only got diagnosed about year and half ago and been on medication swapping and changing since.i struggle with ibs too i hate it i find that herbal teas and muesli help me. the swelling is mainly in my hands and somedays i cant move them. i hate this disorder but we have to keep going and hope that doctors find out more about it to help us 1 daysmileall best

• Posted

hi j

it still doesnt make you feel better though when they tell you it wont damage you because the pain is that real to us and that severe it feels like its never going to end. hopefully the gps will know more in the future and be able to help us bettersmileall best

• Posted

Yes I have badly swollen fingers, some days worse than others. I cannot wear rings at all. Shame I can't even wear my husband's wedding ring as that is too small now too.  I use hot baths with epsom salts and biofreeze on my neck and shoulders and hypnotherapy. I have decided that drugs are not the way forward for me as it seems they all give me awful side effects so it is a case of diet, exercise hot baths etc.  All the consultant told me was have a positive mental attitude otherwise you will not get up in the morning then she discharged me back to GP.
    • Posted

i have never tried the salts in the bath i love bath soaks though and a boiling hot bath. i sometimes wish you could sleep in a bath and i might actually get some proper sleep. The medications they put you on are awful im at doctors again tommorrow see if i can change mine AGAINsad yes it is state of mind is what they say its such a mad disorder im still not understanding all properly. all best
    • Posted

its mad mines mainly the fronts of my hands but my fingers sometimes swell. do your feet swell? mine dosad must be heart breaking to not wear your rings i hope you keep them safe??all best
  • Posted

Hi Melissa, and others;  having read all responses,  am thinking that if many of you are using Naprosan/Ibobrufen/Naproxin (all the same medication) as an anti-inflammatory, these all cause swelling in the extremeities....I started out using this, and could Actually see my feet swelling while sitting....the only Long-term anti-inflammotory is Voltaren (with the use of Pariet), if you feel the need for Joint Pain relief....however; fibro is more related to our Nerves and Muscles, and that is why I take Amitriptritylline....it helps with my emotions and the Fibro pain...I have trialed Many drugs over my journey, and have only found pain-relief from this and Gabapentin, which also Blocks the Nerve Pathways....I am really feeling for you all, as I know it takes a long, and tiresome journey, to find what really works for each sufferer..but keep up your appts (and hopefully with a knowledgeable and sympathetic dr/Rhuematologist)......till I hear more from you, I will be waiting.....Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.