fibromyalgia with swollen hands

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed early last year with fibro went to docs and pain clinic at hospital. Been told I have also anxiety disorder called GAD and I have recently been told i have depression. I am 32 [sad] I have worked  since 16 in retail and i loved it but over the past 10 years i have been riddled with pain,low mood swings and upset and sleep dreadful. I was put on tramodol,amitriptyline and naproxen which i was on for over a year but tamodol was making me sick and dizzy so i changed to co codomal they dont seem to touch me some days with the pain. I have pain allover mainly my back,knees and hands. My hands swell up badly when i use them and now my knees have started doing the same.I cant even do simple things like wash my hair sometimes as pain really bad.My knees look like balloons at the minute. I find that somedays i dont know what to do. I find a hot bath eases it sometimes i have to have a hot water bottle everyday on my back and i use deep heat spray but now im desperate to help relieve this pain. I was told by hospital to exercise but sometimes i cant even walk properly.

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi thank you for all your replies I thought I was the only 1 out there with swollen hands I forgot to mention how do you all think yours started? I can't pinpoint mine as I've had a free things happen.... When I was 14 I was hit by by a car when I was 15 a boy attacked me in the street then when I was in my twenties I was attacked in my local pub by a girl and a boy and I had a vicious beating to my head and back. I've also had swine flu and been held up at work by masked men(frightning)I've not worked properly since the last 1 I'm anxious and panicky all the time now.
    • Posted

Wow, you have been through alot in your life time. That is quite a lot to take on board. Taking one day at a time and putting yourself first is so important. Do try CBT as it will help you with your mind too. Take care and many gentle hugs to you. wink x
    • Posted

Hello Melissa;   (I was going to say "Hell Melissa).....no wonder you have Fibro....I am just catching up from the last few days, and when I read this, I thought "you are one brave lady, who has suffered much personal trauma".....I just can't imagine what your mental health must be like to even keep going? and would not blame you for not even going out your front door....I have seen many more crumble, with less stressors than you have experienced....thankyou for sharing, as it has been one hard life you have lead..............Bron
    • Posted

hi bron

you have too keep going ive always stayed strong for everyone around me even when i was crumbling inside and a few times i have felt like i was having a breakdown.I have tried cbt twice now but i was going through too much at the time and i couldnt concentrate so it wasnt the right time i might try it again now that my personal life is more settledsmile

• Posted

i have tried it twice but the timing was always bad i am thinking of trying again now im happy within my personal life. I have a boyfriend who is my complete and hes the best thing i have ever known he tries his hardest to understand me but of course on a really bad day you feel your on your ownsadyes its true you have to keep going. i am so amazed at the amount of people on here that have fibro my friend has m e as well.all best
    • Posted

Hi melissa30395 I think my fibro started in 2004 when I had a breast cancer scare, I had tests done everything came back ok. but it was a very stressfull and frightening time my feet are swollen all the time my left knee is swollen at the miniute and very painful. my right hand swelled up last tuesday wednsday morning it was down again. funny things our bodies, you never know what fibro is going to throw at you next. take care gentle hugs 
  • Posted

Hi melissa Im suffering with swollen hands and carpal tunnel, I am struggling to use a knife fork grip items. Its really annoying and frustrating. The only thing I can use for pain is Ibuprofen, my hot water bottle is a god send for my painful back. I also wear a hand and thumb surport. which I got from ableworld, it has helped me and helped relieved some pain. Try Ibuprofen see if that helps, Ive tried loads of different pain tablets theyve all made me sick. so all I use for pain relief is a hot water bottle Ibuprofen and gritted teeth. gentle hugs and take care.
  • Posted

HI KAZ 40 i am going to try a hand support like you was talking about and give that a go. I had a very hot bath last night and i massage my own back and legs and i felt a bit better going to bed last night. I have doctors again next week see if they can swap my tablets over as mine dont do anything for me.Ann46903 I literally can understand what you are saying i am usually slim but the past year i am piling it on it seemssadI wish i could get up and exercise but when i walk 10 mins to the shop im in bad way when i get backsad bad pain in back today sat with hot water bottle as we speak
    • Posted

we are doing well between us today melissa, Ive been in agony with my legs, Im struggling to walk at the min hun. my husband has to dry my legs for me he puts body lotion on them as they are very dry. I use my hot water bottle the only tablet I can take for pain relief is Ibuprofen it takes the edge off a bit.The hand surport is great it helps me alot. I hope it helps you when you get 1. I wear it on my right hand at the min but my left hand is now getting as bad as the right. so I can see me wearing 1 on the left hand Im going to look right weird haha.take care hun gentle hugs x 
    • Posted

Hi melissa how are doing today and hows your back today. Im in alot of pain with my back. Im waiting to for an mri. as last year I had a problem with 1 of my discs my dr thinks it hasnt eased properly. so will see what the mri reveals when I have it done. I use a hot water bottle for my back the only pain relief I can take is ibuprofen. Ive had terrible side affects with all the pain medication the dr has tried me on. I do leg exercises what the physio gave me to do but thats the only exercise Im able to do. Ive got a dog called charlie I use to walk him for miles but I cant walk him any more it falls on my husband to walk him. I have to walk with a stick around the house and use a wheel chair when I go. the pain in my back and legs is horrendous trying to sleep is impossible oh the joy of having fibro take care gentle hugs 
    • Posted

I hope that all goes well for you at the mri and that it could be just your fibro maybe fingers crossed!my dad had slipped discs years ago he had an op and hes been great sincesmileso hopefully either way you will get sorted.I have ashma so ive got to stay away from ibuprofen yes tramadol i was on for over a year and it made me fall over,dizzy and sick in my mouth made me feel like the walking deadsad The pain clinic gave me a book with exercises to help but i find any movement repetative wise makes me worsesadon a bad day i cant cope but then when i have a ok day im fine. Today not too bad tbh.I will get a support for my hand and try that its mainly my hands,back and lately knees. Im at doctors tommorrow as i have just been signed off sicksadI have a dog too his name is buster hes 4 hes mad with energy i used to walk him but i struggle now but my boyfriend is really understanding and my life was total rubbish before him no one understood me. How are you feeling today?I find getting too the shop hard and its only 10 minute walk which is rubbish but i take each day as it comes i think that you have too. I use deep heat spray on my back try it if you can it does help a little bit all best
    • Posted

Hi melissa back and legs arnt great today, but ploding on hun. Im not surpose to take ibuprofen as Ive got asthma, but pain wise its been the only thing ive been able to take everything else ive tried Ive had really bad reactions to. I do all my shopping on line now as cant walk round the shops no more my mobility has worsened. Ive now got a wheel chair my husband wheels me around in that. I dont like being in it but needs must. its heart breaking not being able to walk my dog, I use to walk for miles with charlie.its hard when people dont know what we are going through and how we are feeling.hope all goes well at the drs tomorrow for you take care gentle hugs
  • Posted

hi everyone i hope you are all having a reletively ok day or even  a good day today. Just thought i would share my update. I went back my doctor as i was taking co codamol and they wasnt doing anything for me and my knees started swelling up. She told me i have fluid on my legs arround my knees and i have to wear these tube band things and see how i go for a week if not ive got to go back. She also wants to run some more tests on me as my face swells up toosad she has now put me on solpadol and increased my anti depressant. She has also put me on list to try cbt again. How is everyone else out there in our bubble doing today?? i do feel sometimes like i am in a bubble if this makes sense??all best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.