Fierce hot flushes

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello Ladies

Not been on here for a while as I had been doing a lot better, now in the last few weeks my hot flushes have intensified and are becoming unbearable its driving me crazy, when they happen I cannot bear to be in a hot room or for anyone to touch me and everything I wear is annoying.  I am so sick of being a hot sweaty mess.  Does anyone have any advice.  I dont want to take HRT well I dont think I can as strokes run in my family.  I take Amitriptyline so I really need to take something that wont interact with that.  I was taking B6 for a while which helped with some other symptoms but stopped as it didnt seem to agree with me too well.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  Hugs to all xxx

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try black Cohosh or acupuncture with chineese herbs.  It helped me.

good luck!

• Posted

Thanks, I have heard of that,I will certainly take a look and check out with my chemist if it is ok to take with my other meds. x
    • Posted

Be careful with black cohosh, I think it's one you can't take with amitriptyline xx
  • Posted

Hi Lancsrose, 

I'm four years into my Menopause having suffered many symptoms hot flushes, sleepless nights, joint aches, anxiety and panic attacks, overwhelming fatigue.  Just eight weeks ago I was prescribed Citalopram a anti depressant to help with my low mood and anxiety and I now hardly every have a hot flush and if I do it is very mild.  I also discovered a friend was prescribed this for her hot flushes as her doctor had tried everything and she was really suffering. Hope this helps you, take care xx

• Posted

Thats interesting Susan I used to take that a few years back and then came off it but some time later started the Amytriptyline which is quite similar or so I believe.  Maybe I need to have another chat with my GP.x
  • Posted

Hi Lancrose..

snap mine did about three months ago, i did mention it on here, i always took magnesium and calcium and had no hot flushes in day for years..

then i changed to calcium and vit D ( natecal mix)  so wasnt taking magnesium anymore, thought nothing of it, and noticed after a couple of weeks intense hot flushes up to 20 per day... 

so clicked magnesium and magnesium does help flushes, so started the effervescant orange  flavour type, drop in water..

also temperature sets them off, i live in southern spain its height of summer and hot hot hot, and a hot flush is the way we cool down in peri and menopause so that may have something to do with it to for me..

but the magnesium has helped alot, they havent gone completely but not as severe or as many, there are other remedies as well, black cohosh etc, but check that one as not recommended for some ladies .. Jay xx

• Posted

Thanks for all the info Jay informative as always.  I take Calcium and VitD already as I have Osteopenia, I think I did hear something about Magnesium but had forgotten about that one so thanks for the reminder, its worth a try.  Living in Spain your hot flushes must be a nightmare, I think I am noticing mine more now as summer in England has been quite good this year and I am always so busy running here and there, I am hot a lot of the time.  I have read a bit about Black Cohosh and am not sure I like the sound of any of those side effects.  I get daily headaches anyway so the thought of them being any worse is too much to even think about, am just determined to get through this taking as little as possible. Keep well hunni xx
  • Posted

Hi again

black cohosh info...  something to read about before using, even though a very popular remedy... may also effect other meds you may be taking so always check..

Side effects of black cohosh

Side effects are rare with small to moderate amounts of black cohosh. Most studies have used black cohosh for less than 6 months and so the long term effects are not known. We need more research to find out exactly what the long term effects are and if it is safe to take.

The most common side effects are stomach pain, feeling or being sick, or skin rashes. But very high doses (above 100mg) can cause

A slowing of your heart rate

Headaches

Dizziness and light headedness

Womb (uterine) contractions

Joint pain

There have been a few reports of black cohosh seriously damaging the liver. Although it is not clear whether black cohosh was responsible for liver damage in these reports, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) say that all black cohosh products should carry a warning label.

Doctors are worried that using black cohosh long term may cause thickening of the womb lining. This could lead to an increased risk of womb cancer. One study found that there was no thickening of the womb in women using black cohosh for 3 months. 

• Posted

This is my life. Wake up miserable. I have a toothache and vicious headache. I have no desire to go outside so I don't. I have absolutely no energy. I make myself a cup of tea to console myself. I am by no means on a pity party. It's 6:3o am and I'm sweating profusily. My moods are very elevated to high levels. I am a strong believer in God and cling to that truth. I have experienced a lot of loss in our lives the past year.  I am no defeated just down and processing grief daily.  I have great empathy for other oe
  • Posted

People pain. It's all real
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that you are struggling so much Jane, you sound worse than me.  I have had so many different symptoms over the years, even before I even realised I was in peri.  Headaches, toothache, visual problems, lightheadedness, memory problems, cold flashes, hot flushes, muscles and joint pain, you name it I've probably experienced it.  Who knew this would be such a nightmare!  I think what has helped me is that I am so busy, I am the main wage earner for my family so I have to work and I also have to keep an eye on my elderly parents so I dont have too much time to dwell.  I have just started doing a lot more regular exercise than I ever used to and trying to eat a better diet and I can safely say, that has really helped, I know the whole exercise thing is not something that we want to be bothered with when we are feeling so bad, but if you can just get out for a short walk it might help a little bit and take it from there.  Hugs to you, we can get through this together xx
  • Posted

Hi Lacrosse,

I don't know where you're located but try getting some black cohosh and/or soy beans which help a lot with the flashes. The black cohosh helps me. I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi all

I had a hysterectomy 20 years ago leaving me with one overy,I was fine until about 3 yrs ago when started hot flushes,I had been led to believe by my gynaecologist that I had passed menopause,I have achy joints and really bad hot flushes,I can't take hurt as I carry a gene that is high risk of blood clots,I have just been told I have osteopenia and will start taking calcium once a week and vit d daily,I tried b6 a few weeks ago but felt very strange by legs all tingling,I have just read on here that amytriptiline reacts with some mess,I have been taking this for years and didn't realize,is vit b something that it reacts with?I have cut out a lot of sugary foods from my diet and do feel this this helps with the flushes,I also find that my skin has lost its elasticity and feel I look older than other women my age,obviously due to the lack of oestrogen,I have also used localised hrt cream for many years for dryness,when I had my hysterectomy at 36 I thought it was the best thing,I wish I had known what I know now,i have had all the symptoms of menopause for many yrs and don't really understand why the flushes are so bad now,I always thought they were at the start,,any help would be appreciated especially about melds interacting with amytriptiline.

• Posted

Hi Croge..

this may help with the info ..

Possible Interactions with: Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)

Also listed as: Pyridoxine; Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)     Table of Contents > Supplement Interactions > Possible Interactions with: Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)

Interactions

If you are being treated with any of the following medications, you should not use vitamin B6 supplements without first talking to your health care provider.

Drugs that reduce levels of B6 in the body -- If you take any of these medications, be sure to get enough B6 in your diet:

Cycloserine (Seromycin), used to treat tuberculosis

Hydralazine (Apresoline), used to treat high blood pressure

Isoniazid, used to treat tuberculosis

Penicillamine, used to treat rheumatoid arthritis

Theophylline (TheoDur), used to treat asthma

Antibiotics, Tetracycline -- All B complex vitamins, including vitamin B6, interfere with the absorption and effectiveness of antibiotic tetracycline. You should take tetracyclien at different times from vitamin B6 and other B vitamins.

Antidepressant Medications -- Taking vitamin B6 supplements may improve the effectiveness of certain tricyclic antidepressants such as nortriptyline (Pamelor), especially in elderly people. Other tricyclic antidepressants include amitriptyline (Elavil), desipramine (Norpramin), and imipramine (Tofranil).

On the other hand, antidepressants called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) may reduce blood levels of vitamin B6. Examples of MAOIs include phenelzine (Nardil) and tranylcypromine (Parnate).

Chemotherapy drugs -- Vitamin B6 may reduce certain side effects of 5-fluorouracil and doxorubicin, medications used to treat cancer, without reducing the effectiveness of the chemotherapy. Talk to your doctor before taking any supplement if you are undergoing chemotherapy.

Erythropoietin (EPO) -- Erythropoietin therapy, used to treat severe anemia, may decrease vitamin B6 levels in red blood cells and may require B6 supplementation.

Levodopa (L-dopa)-- Vitamin B6 reduces the effectiveness of levodopa, a medication used to treat Parkinson's disease. However, your doctor may be able to determine a dose of B6 that can help reduce side effects of levodopa without interfering with the drug's action. Taking vitamin B6 along with levodopa should be done only under the strict guidance of a physician.

Phenytoin (Dilantin) -- Vitamin B6 reduces the effectiveness of phenytoin, a medication used to treat seizures. 

• Posted

Hi Jay, have been reading the discussions for about a month now, I am so greatfull that I stumbled onto this Forum, How I feel is menopause Twice is just not fair. I am now 68, had my last period July '97. Well past the meno in 2012 When it became necessary to have a full hysterectomy, I asked my consultant if I would need HRT, he replied No, you are well past the meno. I felt a right fool for asking such a daft question and I hoped he would understand and put it down to nerves. Indeed I was very nervous. I had the surgery, I was fine, few hours later I went so hot I thought it was the heating in the ward ( it was December 15th ) about another half hour later another OMG I thought I recognise this feeling, and again I dismissed it as the Morphine I was in out of sleep for a few hours and the anaesthetic wearing off when I was getting hot flushes about every 45 minutes. All I wanted to do was get home. I had told my husband when he took me in " don't bring me any flowers, chocolate or fruit I'M NOT STOPPING"  since then I have struggled like hell, that is until I read about B6, within a couple of days I felt so, so, so much better. Have been taking B12 since Friday and guess what I am not so tired. THANK YOU, THANK YOU for that piece of information x x 
    • Posted

Hi Margaret 

arrrr bless you ... So pleased it's helping you... I take 150mg B6 a day in the mornings have done since April and also B12 ... 

I did take Jarrows B12 5000mcg one of the strongest cherry flavored for a year or so, but now I have the B12 injection as it seems to bit the spot for me.. B6 has been amazing for me, and the other night I was talking to a woman whos 60 and I was having a hot moment 😃 it is the Spanish weather it's roasting, anyway I am very open and said oh excuse me it's my age then we spoke about meno and she said she took B6 and also been her saviour so it helps many women ... My anxiety just lifted in a few days and my whole outlook just changed so quickly, sounds unbelievable I know, but it really helped me so much... Glad your finding the same thing too..

makes me feel so happy when other ladies  try it and it helps them too 😃

Jay xx

• Posted

Hello again, I feel so much better in my self, best I have felt in many, many years. Can't wait to see my Rheumatogist next week, I have had to take steroids now for the past 13 years I have PMR and because of this, the steroids and inactivity I have gained an awful lot of weight, My Mom and Dad always used to say I would fit in a gas pipe, I was so small Oh my if they could see me now. Thanks to B6 I have lost 6 pounds without changing anything. Can't believe it ( for the 1st time in my life I am gobsmacked) xxx 
    • Posted

Hi Margaret 

i know B6 is wonderful I too lost some weight 😃 wasn't over weight either but feel better all the same ... Wow 

it also turns our carbs into energy ... It's so good for you in many ways..

especially peri and meno... We lack it big time in peri and meno and maybe need supplements from 100mg -  300mg per day depending on severity, I find that 150mg suits me just fine... my tablets are from a Spanish farmacia and are actually 300mg but I use a pill splitter and halve mine..

whats not to like... So pleased for you 😃 

hahahaha ' gob smacked ' also my nails are lovely too strong, skin is soft again and it also helps all meno niggles ... libido on the up so all good..

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi, never mind the 100-300 I'll have a bucket full please, Thanks, Jay, Bless You x x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.