Fighting Till the End

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello all.  I have been on this site for about 3 years and you guy's know how I feel about some of the procedure.  Some may agree with me and some may not.  Which is your right.   But what has gotten me a little upset is some men do not research other procedures.  They take the first thing that there urologist give them without checking or thinging about the side effects. You don't know if the procedure is going to work you just take the doctors word.  Alot of doctors down play any of the side effect because they want you do have the surgery.  Some men give up without a fight.  If there scared or can't go to the bathroom or there bullied into a surgery by the doctor.which we know it happens.  Don't rush.   I feel a man should have any procedure that he want but look into it and others and make a discision on facts and information and then pick not take the first thing that comes along.  I myself will not give up any function for another and be told my a doctor that I have to pick one over another just to pass urinate better  I have had prostate and kidney infection, retenion, bleeding and bladder spasm.  So I have had the pain of not going to the bathroom.  But I never give in to that pain. I have had dry orgasms which sucks. Had to have emergency prostate surgery which I would not let the doctor touch me until he sign a paper that my prostate was to stay intact.  It took 30 minutes buy he did.   Life is to short to give up anthing in this world.  I say many things but the main thing I hope for is that all men get all the information they can no matter what procedure they pick.  Try a less invaseive procedure first before you go and have your prostate cut out because once that is done there is no going back.  I have been dealing with alot heart and other issues.  I will never give up.  Take care all and I wish you all good health  Good Bless  Ken  

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well said, Kenneth. In general, urologists tend to veer patients toward whatever operation or procedure they are trained in. With teaching hospitals, there is also often just one procedure that is being used. 

The doctors can be quite persuasive while not offering, belittling or just being unaware of alternative approaches. It is therefore up to the patient to inform him or her self what the real options are. Unfortunately, this isn't an easy task and requires independent research, including forums like this, as well as possibly mutliple visits to different doctors. 

Not everyone has the energy or motivation to do this so most just follow blindly what their doctor says. It's a real problem for all of us.

Jim

• Posted

Just wanted to add that this problem goes beyond urology and bph treatments and can touch upon almost every medical speciality. With BPH I had the time and energy to research alternative approaches and decided to pass on the TURP my uroloigst insisted I needed. I bought time by self cathing which protected my prostate, bladder and kidneys while I tried to figure out what to do. 

I realize I may not always have this luxury moving forward especially if some sort of medical emergency occurred and there wasn't much time to make a decision. It's scary because the more you learn about a given condition the more you understand that what the first doctor tells you isn't always the right approach. 

Try and stay healthy folks and out of hospitals unless you really need to. 

Jim

• Posted

Thank you Ken and Jim.  Yes, I agree: it is MOST IMPORTANT that we become INVOLVED in our healing process!  THere are too many patients out there who, to their own detriment, approach their situations with an attitude of, "FIX ME, DOC!" and with the belief that the (in this case) urologist (1) knows the answer(s) and (2) has their best interests in mind.  I am not suggesting that there is any malevolence involved, I'm not.  BUt I DO believe there is too much simple ignorance of (1) damage to health and quality-of-life, that can result from TURP in particular, and (2) alternatives that are less invasive, or have less detrimental side-effects...

• Posted

They may be trained and know alot of thing but we have to be in control of our bodys and our procedure.  If we don't want what is offered we have the right to say NO.  Not at this time.  Give youself time.  CIC is very good and and has work for you and some others.  Doctors get upset when we go against them and we should It is our bodys and we have to deal with the side effects not them  Take it easy my friends  Ken

• Posted

Yes that is true.  I know most of you can agree with me you go in to them for help and if you have a problem.  The first thing they say is you Need a Turp.  Said no and see if there is another procedure if he tell you that is the only one that will fix you.  Say Thank you and go find another doctor.  Be in control   Ken  
  • Posted

Kenneth,  I think we would all agree to try the least invasive approach first.  I also think you have good intentions but you can come across as very dogmatic in your opinon.   Some folks are forced into TURP or Helop, not but their doctor but by necessity.  My hope is there will be another "gold standard" that is not invasive but until then, we need to check all options available and weigh the risk/reward.

• Posted

Yes I can say that sometimes I come off a little push e but I just want a man to be prepaired for what ever he picks. Just get all the information you can before because not all doctor tell you everything.  Also ask question and if you can try something less invasive first.do it. And if that does not work they you move forward  Take care  Ken
  • Posted

An awful lot of bad talk about TURPs, so I thought I would tell you all, that my doctor just had a TURP, he is pleased with the outcome.

I had HIFU, and now my PSA has doubled.  I've been searching for others with a HIFU failure and haven't found any, I wonder if guys are just not willing to dampen the prospects of HIFU, as it was a easy painfree way to treat PCa. 

• Posted

I'm sorry that the HIFU procedure did not work for you but there have been a few men on this sitethat  they had good out comes.  That is the first doctor that I have heard of that had a turp.  Which I think may be a good idea he can give his patients a better out look on  the procedure  I wish you well and your doctor. But also a turp is not for all men  Ken

• Posted

Dawnay & Kenneth,

i am young 51, had TURP in June of this year. Everything went well, recovery was easy and quick, no pain, no incontinece, no ED. Sex really improved and become more enjoyable and longer lasting. Everything excellent. Here is my opinion. If any guy who is lurking on this side about prostate problems and solutions like TURP, I would recommend to ask opinion of others who already had the procedure and can talk from their own experience. Listen to people who are just by nature against TURP is not a good idea. Ask me personally and others who had it and I will be more than glad to talk about my experience and easy your fears that others are promoting on this and other forums.

MK

• Posted

MK  Im glad that you had a good outcome with your TURP and thst was you choise        But we are all on here to give our opinion.  That is our right. It's true that Im not a fan of any procedure that cuts or laser out the prostate just so I can pee a little better  My sex life is worth fighting for. It's not worth the side effect and the problems I will not take that chance.  You are a lucky man that you don't have any of them problems but you could have been one of many that have all of them.  I have keep a record of the men on here that had the turp procedure. For and against.  It 8 to 1 against having a turp.  Many men first want to try something less invasive.  For me and many men we feel that our injaculation and are orgasm are wroth fighting for.  I wish you well and I hope you stay the way you are  Ken  

• Posted

Thanks for your post ken, you are noted for your strong opinions but nothing wrong with that.

After suffering from a weak stream,getting up in the night i finaly went to see my family doctor. She discovered that my prostate was enlarged but also had hard areas and nodules on one side. Visit to the urologist, biopsy showed unusual tissue but not thought to be cancerous. However i am considered hight risk and have 6 monthly check ups all ok so far ( next one in a month). The biopsy has left me with mild prostatitis it flares up once a month and lasts for a few days.The uro offerd to do something to help my flow, really glad i declined as i had not a clue what a turp would lead to. Loads of info and other mens experience on this forum thankfully.

Well, still have a poor flow, it takes time, still get up in the night to pee but as long as it still flows will keep away from the urologist. have other health issues and meds over the years have left me with ED, meds of no use for this but manage with other ways.

Thanks every one who contributes to this forum, its not easy to talk about sensitive issues like these but your experience and thoughts can be a real help to other men.

Best wishes to you ken and all other forumites.

• Posted

Hi Philip,  Have you considered CIC (self-cathing) before bedtime to eliminate or reduce the number ties you get up at night?  Makes a BIG difference for me, in sleep quality, to be able to sleep through the night...
    • Posted

Hi Cartoonman

How do you choose your CIC size. Can you keep the catheter all night long so you drain your bladder while you are sleeping. It would be so annoying if you wake up during the night and spend around 15 minutes of get catheterd for a pee. I don't think you would be able to return back to sleep. Is there any foly self-catheterization?

FJ

• Posted

Hi fj,

The size most men start at is called "FR14". From there, you can go up or down depending on your experience. If you have a large prostate as most of us do, I recommend using what is called a Coude (bent) tip. One very popular catheter many of us here use is made by Coloplast and is called their Speedicath FR14 with Coude Tip. 

You don't leave the catheter in all night with CIC. You go in, let it drain, and then take it out. The alternative is a Foley catheter that you leave in all the time but that means it's in day and night. Foley's are not meant to be taken in and out on a daily basis, so "no", you can't self cath using a Foley. 

Even in the beginning, 15 minutes is a long time to spend self cathing if you have things organized in advance. Now it only takes me about a minute more to self cath than if I was just going to urinate naturally. Check out one of the self cath thread for tips on how to cath or ask questions there. 

Most people find self cathing far superior to having a Foley inside your urethra 24/7. You are also less prone to UTI's when you self cath as compared to a Foley. That said, some people might prefer a Foley on a short term basis again most prefer self cath. One exception might be if you are unable to self cath by yourself and then prefer the privacy a Foley affords.

There is another option between self cathing and a Foley and that is a suprapublic catheter that is inserted through the abdomen via an operative procedure. With suprapubic, again no tube in the urethra, and you can get rid of the bag if you get a special flip-flo valve. But you will have a tube through your abdomen which can be prone for infection. 

Personally, I would only choose a Foley if the time period was under two weeks. If it was 2-6 weeks than I would choose either a suprapubic or learn how to self cath. If it was for over 6 weeks, I would want to learn how to self cath. 

Jim

Jim

• Posted

FR 14 is a good place to start.    And... NO!  The cath does NOT stay inside you!  The "intermittent" part of CIC is that the cath goes in, drains, you, and you take it out.  QED!    Foleys stay in and if you don't mind that, have one installed.  But it stays there.  

It takes me 2 1/2 minutes prep time, plus darining time, usually 30-60 second.  Then back to bed.  I raised kids; I can usually get back to sleep.  Your mileage may, of course vary...

• Posted

Philip.  Thank you for your kind words.  This is your right to wait and stay away from the doctor.  I feel as log has your going you can put it off.  Just watch what you drink.  I had a urolift and I have been doing good but there are them times that to me it seams like I still have to go but if I feel like that I take a hot bath or shower and just relax.  I have told my urologist that and he told me to do what I feel is right for me but he said that if I need him he is there for me.  He knows how I feel about cutting away at the prostate.  Sorry about the ED form the meds.  That sucks but you are deal with it.  I know about other heath issues.  Have a-fib was just ing the hospital going to a new doctor monday.  I saw him in the hospital.  Need to have that fix.  I just hope that if they do fix it I don't have a problem with the dye or catheter.  I have a stricture and don't want them to mess my bottom half up.  Had a reaction to the dye when I had my stent done in June.  Could not pee.  I also have a problem peeing in bed laying flat.  The nurse told me that if I can't they have to do a catheter.  I told them no thank you.  I did go but it took a while and hurt like hell.  Good health buddy  Ken     

• Posted

Hi Ken, I too have had cardiac cathertisation twice. The first time the catheter was inserted into my femoral artery in my groin. Laid flat for 6 hrs after. the local anasthetic they used stopped me being able to pee for about 8 hrs it was agony by the end. Not offerd any help ie urinary cath at the time. Second time the cardiac catheter was entered via the radial artery in my wrist, altogether more satisfactory although unpleasant when the cath was removed.

stay well, philip.

• Posted

Thanks for the information.  I go Monday to see the doctor for a second opinion.  I saw this doctor the other week when I was in the hospital  If he does it I don't know which way he is going to do it.  I just hope it does not mess things up for me.  Most of the ablation take from 3 to 8 hours and I know I have to have a urinary catheter place but I have to tell them the size has to be a 14 fr coude catheter per my urologist because of the stricture size.  I will see what happens.  The dye messed me up last time Take care  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.