Finally, a Breakthrough!

Posted , 9 users are following.

This forum certainly doesn't overdose on good news; so, I'm gonna counter that by sharing some.  As some of you may be aware, I broke my fibula and medial malelous back in June. In September, the Ortho informed my that I had a failed union in my ankle break.  I changed Orthos, and had it bone grafted and screwed together in October.  I was out of the cast in November; had very slow progress through January, but was able to hobble on it.  I went to Physical Therapy in February, but quit because after some initial gains, their procedures only made the ankle more sore -- to the point of being immobilized for several days.  My walking improved though through March, but I was still plagued by swelling and muscle weakness in the ankle and foot.  This week, I began running in place and doing jumping jacks in the swimming pool.  This move has been key.  The same day I started, all swelling went away (and stayed away), and I am now able to walk limp free with more confidence than I've had in almost a year!  These ankle breaks progress at their own pace, but there is light at the end of the tunnel!  Maybe some of you can benefit from my news regarding the swimming pool exercises.

Best Wishes!

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is great news! So happy for you. I love a happy ending lol.
  • Posted

Fantastic news! Just jumping jacks in the swimming pool or other pool exercises? So happy for you!!
    • Posted

Patti,

Thanks!  I'm doing jumping jacks, high-knee running in place, and single leg jumping (on the leg with the break).  On the single leg jumping, I vary the depth at which I perform it based on how it feels.  Ar shallow depths, I bend the leg slightly at the knee so that my quads can absorb some of the shock.  The gteatest thing is that the swelling has gone away.  I was starting to lose hope on that happening.

Jim

• Posted

Thank you Jim for all the info. I have been researching how to best recuperate from this and have come to the conclusion also that the pool may be one of my best options. Really appreciate the specifics! Thank you!
  • Posted

Woohoo! I am so glad things are improving for you. It is nice to see good news on here for a change.
  • Posted

Hi thank you for your information.

I am 5 weeks post cast and 11 weeks post fracture and am still having problems with pain and swelling and limping about so I am taking your advice and have planned to visit the local swimming pool this evening to see if I can be lucky enough to achieve what you have. I will update with my progress. Cheers

• Posted

Hi Iris,

Do monitor yourself to avoid over doing it.  When I was in your post-op timeframe, I tried doing these exercises in the pool, but would experience a sharp pain below the ankle if I did ithem for any significant amount of time.  So, be patient if it seems painful and counter productive.  Your ankle may not be ready yet.

Jim

• Posted

Thanks for that and yes I will take your advice. I have just come back from swimming and managed 8 lengths of gentle swimming and did some running on the spot and jumping jacks. Didnt push myself too much and feel okay. Will see what tomorrow brings. Thanks again.
  • Posted

That is fantastic news! I am hoping to get my above ground pool going in about a month. It is warming up nicely here. Other than jumping jacks, what other exercises did you do? I wish we had a public pool here.
    • Posted

Cass,

Thanks!  The other things I do in the pool are:  Running in place with high knees, and one-legged jumping/hopping on the leg that had the broken ankle.  I rotate through all three exercises until something starts to get sore/tired -- usually my calf muscle.

Jim

• Posted

Thank you again... so glad it is working out for you.
  • Posted

Way to go, happy it's working for you. I'm just getting on my bike, that's a breakthrough for me......thanks for sharing, water is I think best therapy!! Keep on 👣
  • Posted

Love all these comments about the pool! This is great news!!
    • Posted

I've been going to hydrotherapy for a few weeks, one flipper exercise sent my ankle nuts 😫 But hey I won't rain on anyone's parade. 😝😝😝🛀haha.
    • Posted

Ms. Camboot,

You were wearing flippers for the exercise?  Maybe, that was over doing it a bit; a bare foot performing the same actions may have been a better first step for that exercise.  Sometimes the therapists are too agressive. 🤔

• Posted

Yes I was asked to put on flippers and sit on a noodle doing bicycle pedals, as you can imagine I was pushing through a lot of water wearing flippers. I told the physio but was told to carry on although the following week I was let off with that exercise and did the same exercise excluding flippers. It was a strain on the ankle joint. The other exercises were fine though. Glad you are progressing so well. Great stuff 😄👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.