Finally, a Breakthrough!

Posted , 9 users are following.

This forum certainly doesn't overdose on good news; so, I'm gonna counter that by sharing some.  As some of you may be aware, I broke my fibula and medial malelous back in June. In September, the Ortho informed my that I had a failed union in my ankle break.  I changed Orthos, and had it bone grafted and screwed together in October.  I was out of the cast in November; had very slow progress through January, but was able to hobble on it.  I went to Physical Therapy in February, but quit because after some initial gains, their procedures only made the ankle more sore -- to the point of being immobilized for several days.  My walking improved though through March, but I was still plagued by swelling and muscle weakness in the ankle and foot.  This week, I began running in place and doing jumping jacks in the swimming pool.  This move has been key.  The same day I started, all swelling went away (and stayed away), and I am now able to walk limp free with more confidence than I've had in almost a year!  These ankle breaks progress at their own pace, but there is light at the end of the tunnel!  Maybe some of you can benefit from my news regarding the swimming pool exercises.

Best Wishes!

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Another activity that I've found to be quite beneficial for my foot and ankle strengthening (as well as confidence and coordination improvement) is walking on a soft sandy beach; that is, a beach that hasn't been hard packed by the waves.  Whenever I've had that opportunity, I recognized improvements by the next morning. Of course, one needs to be cautious when doing this.  The thought of turning my ankle at this point makes me wince. 😩

Jim

• Posted

Good to know that helps! How far along are you? I thought maybe sand was out for a year or so...really great to know!
    • Posted

Pati, I had the operation on Oct. 2nd. I was out of the boot cast in mid-November.  So, I'm at almost 5 months after being out of the cast.
  • Posted

Well done, you.  I love the swimming pool and it has been really beneficial to me too.. Not only physically but it makes me feel on top of the world whether exercising in the water or swimming.  Keep up the improvements.
    • Posted

Thanks Iris.  I'm glad it has been beneficial for you!  Do you have any new news? My most recent update: Last week I took my exercises to dry land:  Jumping jacks, running in place, burpees, body-weight squats, smountain climbers, sngle leg balancing, and others. Although my exercises certainly are not winning awards for intensity, they are progressing.  Biggest challenge of the routine:  The single leg balancing.  Ugh.  I have alot of room for improvement on that one.  The stabilizer muscles just aren't cooperating yet. Otherwise, I'm making progress!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.