Finally after 5 months of waiting with a catheter HOLEP gave me a new start

Posted , 8 users are following.

I just want to put a closure to this last 5 months ordeal wearing a full time catheter from March until just now today the 6th of August 2016. 

I finally got my HOLEP operation and I'm very impressed of the results so far only after 48 hours as I walked out of the hospital without a catheter. 

The operation lasted 4 hours, I decided for a general anesthesia and thank God I did instead of chosing the spinal local anesthesia, they kept me 48 hours because of the bleeding but this morning it got better so they decided to fill up my bladder and remove the catheter and run some tests, this morning was the moment of truth, the moment I have been waiting for for the past 5 months,  they filled my bladder with about 300ml then gave me a pot to pee in and as I was walking towards the toilet it came out, finally , the goal was to check my bladder to have less than 150 ml or the cath would go back on, first try, I had 100 ml left in my bladder, peed some more, second scan 75 ml left, 3rd try after peeing more, less than 28ml retention so I was good to go home without the cath for the first time in 5 months. 

This was the best moment in my life, to regain the right to urinate normally, 

Of course since I wore the catheter for so long even with a valve, I'm experimenting some incontinence and the stream is not yet strong but the bladder is emptying so for me it's a victory and every day it will improve as I will do my kegel exercises for the pc mucles. 

I still read horror stories about TURP and don't understand why some me still chose that method and suffer more pain and are forced to re-do the operation 5 years later, and still having to take flowmax, avodart, etc.

HOLEP operation is amazing, I don't even have any pain urinating, it doens't burn at all, so all in all I recommend this HOLEP operation hands down. 

Thank you

John 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Must such a big relief - literally! Good for you!
    • Posted

Yes thank you, a second chance at life, all the best to you too
  • Posted

Glad it turned out so good for you. Tired of hearing all the TURP nightmares of which I am a part. My uro didn't say a word about HOLEP, he was sure "Button" TURP was the answer, he was wrong You're on your way to a normal life and that's great !!

• Posted

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for the message and so sorry to hear about your TURP nightmare, I almost fell in that Golden standard trap too, when I say my first urologist, she proposed TURP right away and knew or never mentionned anything about HOLEP, I'm glad I did not listen to her she even told me that my bladder where streched and most likely would never get back to normal therefore I would not be able to urinate normally  but she would try TURP on me anyways. You know it's never too late, fire your uro and find one that does HOLEP it's never too late even if you are suffering and must endure more pain, in the end it will be the ticket for you, I haven't heard any negative feedback on HOLEP in this forum or else on line compared to TURP,

Good luck

John

• Posted

Glad to hear of you good experience John. Like you I have done lots of research. My first uro was all set to do TURP. I just assumed it was the way to go. By happenstance I had to cancel my TURP surgery. Thats when I started researching and discovered HOLEP. 

Just curious, how big was your prostate? Did it protrude into your bladder? Have you had sex yet? If so do you have retrograde ejaculation?

• Posted

Hi Uncklefester

Thanks for your message, yes glad you found HOLEP, did you get the operation yet, even if you have to wait don't settle for TURP or other methods. 

My prostate was over 100 gram, yes it protrude in the bladder, yes I had sex and yes side effect is retro, but for me it's not a big deal compare to not being able to urinate for 5 months and wearing a catheter that long while I waited for my HOLEP operation, for me it's a second chance at life and I just had my uro follow up appointment this past Monday and the nurse and doc. was impressed by the strengh of my stream in the IPSS test, she said you're like a 17 year old, I urinate like a race horse and empty my bladder every time. 

Good luck to you

John

• Posted

Thanks for the reply John-T. I'm glad you're doing so well. I can't imagine being on a catheter for 5 months. I have not had surgery yet. I am going for surgical consult Sept 20th with a new uro. I've seen 3 so far. Last one referred me to another for HOLEP.. Right now I am on fernasteride & flowmax with pretty good results. The  only time I have trouble peeing is at night. Some nights its fine other nights I just dribble. I'm sure its dietary ( I've read what not to eat ) but I think there are things that give me problems that aren't on the list. I don't want to get to the point that I have to be catheterized. When the whole prostate thing started last November it was a servere bleed event (10 days lots of blood ). First thought was, its cancer. I've had 4 bleed events since then. Each one gets less severe. My last one was just a couple blood clots. I'll say this, those blood clots scare the  heck out of me though. Some were quite  large. I work very hard at not upsetting my prostate. We've had sex only once since last November, which really sucks. After sex I hads a major bleed event. If my uro tells me at my prostate had shrunk I may attempt having sex again.. Honestly if it was for the fear of sex/bleeding I would probably hold off on surgery hoping for a better procedure in the future. I think HOLEP is agreat procedure though. I don't think RE will bother me but I guess you don't know until you experience it. 

John please update ever so often. Many out there are looking for the best procedure with long lasting results. I think HOLEP may be at the top of the  list. 

Thanks again for sharing your experience

• Posted

John..... very glad to hear you also had a good experience with HOLEP.  I'm also convinced it's the right answer, in part due to the absence of any negative comments (surprises) resulting from the operation being expressed on this blog. 

• Posted

Hi Paul, thanks for the message and yes you are right I haven't heard any negative feedback here or on the internet so HOLEP is the ticket for sure. 

John

• Posted

John and Paul I agree the only fault I see mentioned often with HOLEP is RE.

Practically instant results withh little recouperation time seems like the procedure is a no brainer.

Paul did you have any thing done yet?

• Posted

Had HoLEP last January..... no issues; RE no problem for me (age 69). PAE has worked for some (without the side effects), but results do not appear consistent from reading here, plus being totally out of pocket is a huge drawback.  Highly recommend HoLEP.
    • Posted

Hi Unclefester

For me RE is a very small price to pay to be able to urinate like a horse and empty your bladder in less than 8 seconds, only had incontinence for about 4 hours and that was it, a bit of bleeding for 10 days, no zero pain when urinating, so for me HOLEP was the ticket to freedom and new life. 

• Posted

Glad to hear all went well for you. Having a catheter for five months is hard to

imagine knowing how life altering that can be. 

I had similar surgery on June 30. My surgeon/Hospital uses the Thulium Laser not Holmium as their choice ( known then as ThuLEP). No pain and one overnight stay in the hospital. Some early bleeding issues and now having leakage requiring two or more "Depends" a day. That can last weeks to months depending on the

patient. Hopfully you can heal quickly and not have that to deal with. I have been instructed to do Kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. All in all it was the best choice for me and I would reccomend it to all with large prostates.

Question-- Where did you have this done?

• Posted

Hi James

Thanks for the message, and also glad your operation went pretty well, as for me now 74 hours after the operation I have no more zero leakage, it leaked for the first 6 hours after they removed the catheter and I'm kind of surprise that wearing the catheter that long did not affect the outcome at all, mind you I was using a valve and also was doing kegels even if some told me not to do kegels while wearing a catheter, the result well my bladder is strong and even on my last systoscopy a previous urologist for green light told me that my bladder had strong muscles so yes Kegels helps for sure, I'm amazed at the result just 74 hours post the operation, no more drips, a few blot cloth yesterday, now urine is almost normal slightly pink and no pain whatsover when urinating so let's knock on wood that all will maintain, even my flow seems stronger every passing hours. 

I live in Montreal, Canada and got it done at Royal Victoria hospital, there is only one urologist doing HOLEP in this big city of over 7 million people, that is why it took me 5 months to wait, he has about 120 patients on his waiting list, and get this he's 80 years old, a master at HOLEP

Good luck to you

John 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply John. Quite a story. Proves that it is very important to have a Doctor with lots of experience. 

For the record my procedure was done at Long Island Jewish Medical Center (Northwell Health) Queens County New York. My surgeon was not quite that old but came with excellent credentials and had done "hundreds" of procedures.

• Posted

Hi James thanks for the message and sharing your story, yes indeed all men need to do a lot of research before saying ok to a prostate operation, I say 5 different urologist before deciding on HOLEP, yes it took a lot of running around and on top of that I don't have a family doctor since in my province of Quebec the health system is terrible, so no family doctor, I had to go to walk in clinics wait for hours just to get consultation paper in order to get an appointment with one urologist.

One other thing, I was schedule for my HOLEP on July 26th 2016, I showed up there, they prepared me for the surgery and then the doctor came out and told me he could not operate me on that date, I was crushed but he assured me that on August 4th I would get the operation so, I had to go back home and hope that they would not cancel on me again and I'm glad the operation went down as expected on the 4th of August just a few days ago. But you know when I was there waiting on the 26th before getting sent home, I was in the waiting room with 4 other men also waiting for the same HOLEP operation on that date, none of them had a catheter but for no good reasons I'm the one they sent home and push my date. Among those 4 men, none of them new anything about HOLEP versus TURP or other operations, they where there by pure luck referred by their family doctor or other uros. So my point is this, all men need to do their research and never give up until they get the best possible treatment for their conditions. 

Enjoy your day

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.