Finally after 5 months of waiting with a catheter HOLEP gave me a new start

Posted , 8 users are following.

I just want to put a closure to this last 5 months ordeal wearing a full time catheter from March until just now today the 6th of August 2016. 

I finally got my HOLEP operation and I'm very impressed of the results so far only after 48 hours as I walked out of the hospital without a catheter. 

The operation lasted 4 hours, I decided for a general anesthesia and thank God I did instead of chosing the spinal local anesthesia, they kept me 48 hours because of the bleeding but this morning it got better so they decided to fill up my bladder and remove the catheter and run some tests, this morning was the moment of truth, the moment I have been waiting for for the past 5 months,  they filled my bladder with about 300ml then gave me a pot to pee in and as I was walking towards the toilet it came out, finally , the goal was to check my bladder to have less than 150 ml or the cath would go back on, first try, I had 100 ml left in my bladder, peed some more, second scan 75 ml left, 3rd try after peeing more, less than 28ml retention so I was good to go home without the cath for the first time in 5 months. 

This was the best moment in my life, to regain the right to urinate normally, 

Of course since I wore the catheter for so long even with a valve, I'm experimenting some incontinence and the stream is not yet strong but the bladder is emptying so for me it's a victory and every day it will improve as I will do my kegel exercises for the pc mucles. 

I still read horror stories about TURP and don't understand why some me still chose that method and suffer more pain and are forced to re-do the operation 5 years later, and still having to take flowmax, avodart, etc.

HOLEP operation is amazing, I don't even have any pain urinating, it doens't burn at all, so all in all I recommend this HOLEP operation hands down. 

Thank you

John 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What a blessing and an encouragement to many on

the patient forum .

God Speed John !!

• Posted

Yes very encouraging and I recommend HOLEP to all, it really p*ss me off that in our day and time TURP is still the Golden standard, I almost got sucked in to that with the first urologist who wanted to do TURP on me, most stories about TURP are negative and men are still suffering and have to re do it again and still have to take medication.

Good luck to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.