Finally diagnosed. Lexapro?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I finally saw a Rheumatologist today and diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.  I have had symtoms and have tried to get a dx since 1996.

He suggested Lexapro and said it would help with the pain.  Has anyone tried it or other anti depressants for fribromyalgia?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

NO, once I got my thyroid supported and Vit D levels worked on, many years of depression lifted.

Too bad docs don't get us help we really need.....Did your doc talk about thyroid and Vit D and do labs....I went 10 long years with what I believed to be a sluggish thyroid and never got thyroid help, only years of anti depressants....that was from 1991 to 2002...what a waste of years....

Too many docs  hand out anti depressants like candy, even here in the US too.  I've done most of my work for FM since 1999.  Joy 76 US

• Posted

My thyroid tested normal. I do take Vit D.  I dont have depression but I do have anxiety. The Rheumatologist says since FM is a brain disorder that some SSRIs work. This is what I found on the web.

Examples

Generic Name Brand Name

citalopram Celexa

escitalopram Lexapro

fluoxetine Prozac

paroxetine Paxil

sertraline Zoloft

How It Works

Experts do not know exactly how SSRIs work to improve fibromyalgia. But some people with fibromyalgia who take SSRIs seem to have improved mood and less fatigue.

These medicines are a type of antidepressant. Doctors also prescribe them to treat depression.

Why It Is Used

Doctors may prescribe SSRIs when mood problems are a major symptom of fibromyalgia.How Well It Works

SSRIs seem to improve mood and may help relieve pain, fatigue, and sleep problems

Shari

• Posted

Yes didnt help me for pain. It made me feel really weird.i coulnt take it. Pain pills help.and mucle realaxers but we are all different. Ive tried alot of different meds. And the side effects we worst than the pain. Good luck on your journey. Hope it works for you.
    • Posted

Well Im not too sure I want to take it.  Im waiting to see my GP next week to talk to her about it.  Its something the Reum.   prescribes.  I myself dont want to take an antidepressant unless there is good evidence of it helping.  I know I need something because my pain is getting worse as I age and Ibuprophen doesnt help at all anymore.

Shari

• Posted

Calmers for anxiety and tension:

Inositol

Gaba

L-Theanine

Calms homeopathic tabs

I have ​all these and use them but L-Theanine is my 

least favorite.

On the thyroid, I was given the "normal" mantra for 10 long years and then got busy read books, joined thyroid support groups and talked talked to many as I believed my thyroid was sluggish.

Many of us are living with drained adrenals, so these have to be worked on too.

Ibuprofen and DGL for stomach protection works pretty good for me..  What I use in between is a herbal pain remedy and if you want to know let me know, when I mention a product, I get moderated....

MSM powder 1 tsp in 8 oz water 2-3 times a day calms pain for me.

It's easy to write a script for an anti depressant....the easiest for MANY docs to do, sadly.  Been that route.... J

• Posted

Thanks Joy,

I know I have heard that about the thyroid before.  I wouldnt be able to push them for more testing. I barely got them to do the last one.  I also have autoimmunity and its probably just a matter of time before my thyroid is affected if not already. 

I will look into the things you have mentioned.

• Posted

I heard it for years, that TOO MANY just couldn't get the help they needed for thyroid support ... many had to go to naturopaths and I was so happy to be able to have access to integrative MD's in my area, they are miracle workers...  We need to work on what is "broken".....  J
  • Posted

i wouldnt start on pharmcy drugs ,magnesium is much more important and b12 q10 and vit d k2 , magnesium oil rubbed in to your body twice a day will help with the pain if you are in a lot of pain maybe start on the suggested drug,

• Posted

Thank you, I am going to talk to my dr about all the beneficial supplements. I can already hear her telling me the best thing is exercise. B een hearing that for years from many drs.

Since I have had an increase in my anxiety and panic attacks she may want me on something. 

• Posted

well she is partly right about excersise but would be good for someone to tell us how to go about this when we are in pain stiff and fatigued before we even start .
    • Posted

Exactly. Any time I do more then a brisk walk I hurt for days, in agony. It's not so easy to push through that pain and exercise daily.
    • Posted

I do a LOT of stretching daily, when I wake up, in the afternoon and before I go to sleep.....and take NO drugs for FM except iburpofen and DGL for stomach protection.....

I've been working with supps for 25 yrs and almost detest the pharma world......it's not healing, it's bandaids....

We all have choices and so many are just not willing to be their own doc and put their lives into the hands of docs.....for an emergency I would do the same, but for maintenance and prevention, it's supplements.,.....  joy 76 US

And so true major differences in the UK and US way of healing...although many americans go the drug route, but do use supps as well....  I have many friends older and younger and my daughter and grandkids and they all use supps,    My daughter got really messed up on too many drugs in the early 2000's......bad bad experiences........

• Posted

I do agree, I stopped taking my anxiety meds years ago. I only take allergy and antacids. My problem now is ibuprofen is no longer working for me. Ive been changing my eating habits as well.

My friend has RA and FM and has been taking systemic enzymes.

Lots of things to consider and I will be bringing it all up to my dr.

Shari

• Posted

Hi..Not heard of that one. I were diagnosed 3 years ago and were put on             Pre gabalin, after 2.5 years I weaned myself off them because of the really bad side effects. 6 months ago the rheumy put me on Dosulepin an anti D, for the pain and to help me sleep. I did sleep better with it, but when I went to chemist to collect a further 2 months supply the Pharmasist called me to one side and asked why I were taking them, along with another drug Oramorph!! She said taking the two together will have dangerous side effects. With that I gave them back, the dr never said anything to me about that.Very Scary..So when going on a new drug, always ask if they will be ok with others you take.

I am just on Oramorph and Paracetamol only,it takes the edge off and get sleep when I can.. Good Luck..Anne..

• Posted

Good point on the drug interactions. I always look up new drugs and the Lexapro has a moderate interaction with my omeprazole. So I'm already going to ask questions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.