Finally surgery date!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Called my Dr. to see if he had any ideas on how I can feel better, pain meds are not an option since it would interfere with surgery. As I thought I was right but the good news at least for me I am scheduled for surgery June 18th. It looks like my labs are okay he is still waiting on one he said it takes 2 weeks for something show up culture wise but he feel comfortable I should be okay. 

This is pretty screwed up on my part no one looks forward to surgery and here I am I think its great mostly because I cannot stand the way my knee feels constantly.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That’s why I had my surgery - I couldn’t stand the pain any longer. 
    • Posted

Biggest difference this will make #18 on my L knee ( God do I hope this it the last one?? ) # 6  as far as knee replacements go. Looking at my situation with out knowing my history it looks like I am addicted to knee surgeries. I truly wish I never had one much less where I am at now. Whats even worse I already know what to expect from the day of surgery and afterwards. Trust me it really gets old I am just sick of all of it.
    • Posted

I was chomping at the bit to have my tkr also, now I wish I had not.  The pain from surgery is horrible,  Im 4 months post op and still have less than 95ROM an it's not because I haven't done everything I was suppose to be doing and am still doing!!  At least before surgery, I could bend my knee and control the pain at night TO Sleep.  Just my two cents. 

• Posted

O lordie nwf477 why so many TKR/s?   are you in US or UK?  has the same ortho done all of your surgeries???
    • Posted

If you click on nwf477 I wrote a brief history on my knee sags. It all started with a torn meniscus back in 03. Now how it evolved this far you got me. I have had very good surgeons ( I live in the US Richmond VA. ) but for what ever the reason I have had ongoing issues with my L knee. One TKR sucks and yes there are nicer ways to put it but really what is nice about it? It hurts a great deal takes months sometimes a year or more and then you wind up like me and before you know it you have ongoing knee pain. By rights I should really have a crummy attitude but I don't I have always had this hope that it will get better although as the surgeries have piled on it becomes less doubtful at time moves on. With 1 or 2 TKR's the chances of making a good recovery are really good ( my mother is 78 she has had both of her knee done and she has no problems with steps I on the other hand hate them. ) I am at the point even if this surgery goes perfectly I am well aware I am still going to have pain and even this may sound bad to some but if I only get maybe 10% improvement in my knee pain I will be tickled to death in fact I think it would be awesome. So much for high standards?

• Posted

Please be patient if anyone here should say I wish I never had this surgery or in my case surgeries it should be me and I refuse to say it. I think I have a pretty good idea of how bad it hurts thru the whole process I also believe ( and refuse to believe other wise )  you will get better and it will take time how much time I have no idea but as long as you do what you are told to do by the therapists and when you see the Dr. everything looks fine and there is no infection you will get better. I understand the misery I am going to go thru it yet again in less then 3 weeks. It is going to hurt and it will hurt a lot but fingers crossed this time hopefully will be the last time I for one have had more then enough knee replacements. Hate to say trust me but keep your chin up I still do !!
  • Posted

Glad your Labs came back ok! And your going to have surgery! I know it's been a long, rough road but hopefully you will start to feel better soon after surgery.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thanks for asking did you get around to asking why they cannot do your surgery earlier? If I were to guess yes you have an infection but it has not gotten bad so hopefully you will be okay till then. My surgery will be 2 weeks and 4 days prior to yours regardless of anything both of our summers are shot!! Sounds great doesn't it??

• Posted

Apparently it is best to let the bacteria continue to grow on what's called a biofilm. It will make diagnosis more accurate and the chances of successful treatment greater. As long as I am feeling ok it's ok to wait.

Yes, both of our summers are shot. But the last almost four years of my life have revolved around my left knee. So I've become used to it. Just gets really old. I'm hoping that after this is all over I will be back to almost normal

• Posted

We have more in common we both hate our L knee I hope you do not go thru what I have been thru its no fun.
  • Posted

I was so with you when I finally got my date. I just past the 6 week mark and am doing great. Expect pain and exhaustion and lack of sleep but with time they will pass. DO YOUR EXERCISES..very important. I am meeting with my dr. In 6 weeks about doing my hip then will have one more knee and will be done. Best of luck to you.
    • Posted

not to be sarcastic but after going thru 5 knee replacements I think I have it down. One thing is for sure it is going to hurt and it is going to take sometime for me considering the amount of surgeries my knee has had it will probably take a year before its better but then again I am sure I will find out.
    • Posted

I did not know your history when I responded and meant no disrespect. I was happy that you got a date as I had suffered with my right knee for years before I got a date. I wish you well and hope that all goes well this time.

• Posted

I did not take bad but lets face myself included how many times do we read the history prior to answering a post?? One thing is for sure my summer is going to no fun. This is one time I am both looking forward to the surgery hoping that long term this time everything will turn out okay. On the other hand I am not looking forward to the pain and swelling and therapy etc etc. Maybe I will get lucky and have no pain??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.