finasteride therapy for BPH-are the sexual side effects exaggerated?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I found this study on finasteride and it states that sexual side effects from this drug are often exaggerated.

"drug-related sexual side effects such as decreased libido, ED, and ejaculatory disorders occurred in <2% of men.[10] These side-effects disappeared not only in all men who stopped the drug because of the side effects but also in most of those who continued therapy.

Is finasteride suitable as a therapy for BPH that insurers less side effects?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i talked to several man i know they stop taking it as i have i dont believe those studies

• Posted

I was told that the side effects of Flowmax were few and rare. I took one tablet on a Saturday night around 11 pm after having it prescribed. (I had read the medication precautions and noticed that for some, lowered blood pressure was a side effect, so I told my wife about it.) The next morning we went to church where I sang in the choir as usual. Then as I went forward to take communion and got to the rail, I passed out cold. I was taken out a side hallway, and laid in a hallway with my feet elevated (a couple RNs were there) and they still couldn't get me roused. Finally, a call was made to 911, and the rescue squad arrive. My blood pressure was 65/35, so I was taken to hospital where I received IV fluids and spent about 2-3 hours before my BP was back to normal.

After that event, I developed hypertension for the first time in my life. That was about 15 years ago, and I still take a blood pressure medication to manage the BP. Needless to say, I never took a second Flomax.

I accept that most people probably have no difficulty with Flomax, but I was apparently an outlier in my reaction.

Glenn

• Posted

The study is a lie. It might disappear in some after 6-12 month, but killed my libido and erection in the first month of use. It took 3-4 months to recover. According to some studies in some men sexual side effects last for the rest of their life even after the stop use finasteride and it's stronger version avodart (dutasteride). Everybody is different, everybody has different level of testosterone and more true about dihydrosterone that is responsible for libido, erection and balding. The younger the person teh less are side effects, provided the high level of dihydrotestosterone to start with. Nobody know exactly how te brain governs those important hormones. What's well established that finasteride/dutosteride can lead to permanent changes in brain functions that govern testosterone production.

Some patients on this site claimed no sexual side effects, bu most compaint about permanent ED and libido decreased.

The medicine is no more effective than PAE. Those who don't care about their sexual life could try it with some benefits. Prostate start to grow again once you stop these drugs. Balding starts again as well.

Probbly a good option for those older than 80. Good news are that with no libido ED doesn't bother you anymore. All problems solved!

• Posted

didn't do anything for my median lobe.. it did give me retrograde ejaculation but it went away when i stopped. once retro appeared i quit it

• Posted

It's a dilemma because the drugs that treat BPH can have undesirable side effects. The main operation they use to treat BPH isTurp which was invented in 1926 and advanced in the 80s. And if you don't do anything my doctor said you could have full retention permanently damage your bladder and have kidney problems.

So how could one navigate this. I'm hoping that new technology drugs or operation will come along soon. Is that realistic?

• Posted

No. You have an inflamed enlarged organ, which is almost as complex as human heart. Sometimes called man's "second heart". Nobody knows exactly why it growth in almost all mammals: dogs, cats, rats, bears, humans... A form of testosterone is a culprit, exercise, food, lifestyle, STDs are secondary factors.

Treating BPH is as easy as arteriosclerosis. Some never get it, some at age 49, 90% at age 80. Surgery is easy and effective, almost as bypass.

Questions, comments?

• Posted

yeah... surgery is not easy and effective.. with all the serious and life changing complications and side effects men endure I have to wonder if this is a woman writing this tongue and cheek!

• Posted

No, I'm a 72 year athletic man without bad habits, never had STD. Still have and desire a fulfilling sexual life. Tongue in cheek is only about strong sexual effects of finesteride, which is supposed to work that way. These drugs called alpha 5-reductase inhibitors and supposed to inhibit the enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, the only hormone that is responsible for libido in men and women, as well as erection and lubrication in women. It deceases naturally with age in most men and women. Inhibiting it make prostate to shrink, hair grow on the bald head and consequently loss of libido and erections. Anybody who will tell you otherwise is either or lier, pharmaceutical executive, or both.We are taking huge buck here, gents. Women don't need erection, but they don't have a prostate either. Forget all this supplements. No scientific study showed them more effective than placebo. Some are less.

Probably one day a gene that is responsible for abnormal prostate grows will be found (in some men it never grows) and gene therapy will be applied to all (except for those who already got their TURP or prostate removed). Let's wait...

• Posted

Johnny,

I have been on finasteride for over a year and a half. I have had no side effects other than my bald spot filling in. It was totally ineffective in clearing my blockage for a median lobe obstruction. I had a Rezum which cleared the obstruction and I can pee again. I have stayed on the finasteride to prevent regrowth after the Rezum. Again, I have no bad side effects from finasteride.

Can you please post the name and authors of the study.

Steve

• Posted

Steven,

Can you please share with us how old are you. Your testosterone/PSA level, if you know them, and how intense was your sexual life before and after starting finesteride. That information could be useful if not crucial for many of us who want to prevent further grows of the prostate but don't want to sacrifice their libido and erections.

Of course everybody is different and sexuality is a very complex characteristic and also very individual, but I heard so many complaints from those who started finasteride or avodart, and was scared with my personal experience with avodart.

A young friend (28 yo), bodybuilder . and heavyweight lifter, who injects himself with high doses of steroids every two weeks used avodart to preserve his hair and claimed no side effects on his enormous libido.

• Posted

Gene,

I am 63, healthy (other than the former BPH problem), and active in the outdoors (walking, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing) and my pulse is in the lower 50's. I don't know my testosterone level but I have no problem with my sex drive and sexual function. My PSA has been between 2.5 and 2.7 for close to 20 years. Last July, it was below 1.0 but that is an artifact of the finasteride as it lowers your PSA. Some men may react differently to it but other than my bald spot filling in, I have seen no negative side effects from finasteride so I will stay on it to prevent prostate regrowth.

Steve

• Posted

Finasteride and sexual side effects - NCBI

Steve you have been on finasteride for over a year and a half and had no sexual side effects? Is that correct? Including RE, loss of libido, and Ed?

• Posted

Johnny,

1. On finasteride for over 1 1/2 years
      2. No RE
      3. No ED
      4. No loss of libido

I did not know that RE was a side effect of finasteride. It certainly is a side effect of Tamsulosinm, which also gave me blurry vision. My Rezum cleared the BPH blockage with no RE!

Steve

• Posted

Took finasteride for about 4 months and had very bad side effects. ED, mental-fog, and incredibly bad insomnia. After I quit the ED and mental fog went away, but it took me months to get over the insomnia. I would not recommend this drug to anyone, but everyone reacts different.

• Posted

dbhumie1

Did all the side effects go away after you stop taking the drug.

I want to experiment with it to see if it has side effects with me and if it does then stop.

• Posted

Yes, as I posted they all went away after I stopped but the insomnia. I had to eventually go to a sleep clinic to get over it.

I would be careful though, as someone else posted for some people the symptoms don't go away. Do a search on 'post-finasteride syndrome'.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.