finasteride therapy for BPH-are the sexual side effects exaggerated?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I found this study on finasteride and it states that sexual side effects from this drug are often exaggerated.

"drug-related sexual side effects such as decreased libido, ED, and ejaculatory disorders occurred in <2% of men.[10] These side-effects disappeared not only in all men who stopped the drug because of the side effects but also in most of those who continued therapy.

Is finasteride suitable as a therapy for BPH that insurers less side effects?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Pretty much mu experience. Insomnia is the worst. Try testosterone gel or injections. Won't make your BPH worse. Proven in many studies. Actually can get better.

• Posted

Don't know about 2% with side effects, but below is an official warning from the drug's (avodart) website. The worst thing about alpha 5-reductase inhibitors is that for some men the effects are permanent stay a very long time after the usage, while positive effects are only for 40% of patients and last only while use the drug.

**Common side effects may include:

decreased libido (sex drive);

decreased amount of semen released during sex;

impotence (trouble getting or keeping an erection); or

breast tenderness or enlargement.

**The sexual side effects of dutasteride may continue after you stop taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns about these side effects.

Read on before citing a very old and limited study sponsored by the drug manufacturer.

• Posted

I'm on finasteride. The only side effect I have is ED. I had problems with this prior to finasteride. I do wish it would fill in my bald spot but it hasn't grown me hair either

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.