First appointment

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey,

So I was diagnosed a few weeks ago with osteoarthritis in my hip. I did think it was just my left hip but then I got a copy of my x-ray and it is in both hip joints. I was really upset about this ( as i am only 31)which I feel was silly to be.

However I have my first consultant appointment tomorrow which I'm feeling quite nervous about. Just wanted to see if anyone can tell me what they do on the first appointment?

Thanks!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Louise.

I am 32 and I am finally away to have my right hip replaced a week tomorrow! Super nervous.

Anyhow on my first appointment I saw my x-rays and discussed options.

I chose the steroid injection which I then had to wait 3 months for, it gave some relief but not enough to cope with for many years. The injection it self was fine I didn't find it painful. Definitely worth a go though as everyone is different. Then 3 months after that I chose to go on the list for surgery, the wait was long but I sped it up with asking to go to a hospital a bit further out. Always worth asking!

I'm so excited though as I have a baby who has just turned one years old and I'm desperately wanting to enjoy this time with her instead of being an old mother who can't play with her daughter!

Anyway hope this helps! And don't feel silly about being upset it's a big deal and a lot to think about.

But if you want to chat more I'm totally hear! I'm in the same boat as you hun!

X Linz

• Posted

Thank you for telling me what's been happening with you. I hope the surgery goes well! I'm glad (in a way) That there is someone who is same age as me going through the same thing. That was my other question though. When you had your baby, did u have it then? Was it ok during preganacy and birth? Sorry I have a lot of questions.

• Posted

So I didn't know I had osteoarthritis until after my baby was born. However half way through my pregnancy my hip began to be sore and come the end it was unbearable. But we all put it down to my pelvis expanding with the baby etc. But it just got worse and worse.

If your worried about carrying children, then I've already asked and I will be fine to carry another baby after my replacement as long as I'm careful and will probably be a C-section since there's a change of it dislocating ( and due to my previous csection).

Ask away! I don't mind! Glad to be any help! Xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your help. We are thinking of starting a family soon so I was thinking that maybe I wouldn't be able to for some reason.

So the injections didn't hurt? Lol that's my other worry. I'm a phlebotomist so don't mind needles but because it's to do with the joint...it's freaking me out!

• Posted

I'm a nurse and I hate needles going near me lol!!

But honestly I didn't think the steroid injection was as bad as I've read, they put local in so you don't feel it. It's done super quick too.

If the injection works then get baby making, you won't be able to get any injections during your pregnancy and can only take limited pain relief.

Do you take any just now?

How is your pain?

Are you in Scotland? X

• Posted

Doesn't sound as bad as I'm thinking then.

I'm very limited on pain relief now...I can't get anti-inflammatories as it sets off my asthma and I have to be careful taking co-codamol as have a slow bowel anyway so that just makes it worse. Only take that if I'm in agony. Paracetamol is like taking sweets sometimes. I am thinking of getting a tens machine thou.

The pain is ok, hurts everyday. Sometimes a dull ache...others it's so bad I can hardly lift my leg. Find it difficult to bend, put shoes/socks on....get out of the bath can be hard.

No I'm in woking, surrey. U? X

• Posted

I just try and think positively all the time otherwise if just cry all the time.

I've had to cut down on work as I'm struggling. I don't wear socks as I can't put my right one on, just slip on shoes lol. Old wifey now!

That's a shame about pain relief and your asthma and bowel issues! Well big fingers crossed the injections help.

Being in chronic pain every second of the day is depressing and I didn't want to go down the route of depression so that why I am now having the surgery I wanna be happy again.

Try to keep positive and dream of having a baby, who will drive you batty lol. X

• Posted

I live in Aberdeen! Shame we weren't closer we could of hobbled for a coffee hehe!

• Posted

Lol that is a shame! As a hobble to coffee sounds a great idea. Thanks for answering my questions and listening to me. I hope the surgery goes well and makes you happy again! Let me know. X
    • Posted

Well it's time for the big operation!

I'm sh*tting myself! But it will be worth it.

Have you had your appointment yet?

Linz X

• Posted

I'm sure you are but it will be all worth it in the end! Let me know how you get on.

So he said that it is not the arthritis that is causing my pain...in fact it is only a tiny amount in my hips. It's coming from my back so now got to wait for physio. However he did make me feel abit stupid and like I was wasting his time abit. He said it could of just been the way I laid for the x-ray and it looks like it's showing "arthritis" I looked at him as though to say do u think I'm that stupid? No idea if it's the way I'm walking that's been causing it coz of the pain in my back? If it is going to get worse etc. It's good news, I know but at same time I feel like I've got back a step.

• Posted

No doctor should make you feel inadequate that way.  You have pain, it is perfectly legitimate to try to find out what is causing it and seek a way to make it better.  Really, the way some doctors behave you'd think they believe we LIKE feeling ill or in pain.

Hopefully the physiotherapy will really help.  I've been doing back exercises for many years now, and I really feel that they help me a great deal.  I'm sure I'm better off than I would have been.  That being said, physio exercises are crashingly boring.  I do my morning ones when I first get up, before anything else, or they don't happen.  And the second set during the evening with tv for company and distraction!

• Posted

I know, some doctors just have no idea. I hope so, just want the pain to ease off. I have a feeling ill be waiting for physio for a while. Sounds like it is going to be boring but I think I will do what you said and do them before I get up in the morning.
    • Posted

My doctor gave me a sheet of recommended for back pain exercises many years ago.  I wonder if something like that is available on the internet now.  Then you could at least be doing some safe exercises, the kind which are designed to relieve pressure on nerves and maybe have a slight effect on strengthening the core.  Very generic exercises.  The physiotherapist was able to give me more targeted exercises, but the others did help.
    • Posted

Thank you! I'll give that a read later and see if it helps smile

• Posted

Hi Louise.

Well that's not good about that doctor. I know it's expensive but I paid for two sessions with a private physio who really helped me when I had a sore back a while ago, maybe worth a look into.

At the same time it's good that your arthritis is very small amount. That's good news.

And for me I can't lie hasn't been a great experience but I will get through it. I didn't realise how immobile I'd be. It's like learning to walk all over again. Had a Zimmer for 2 days and today I've sticks. The pain is incredible but watching the older ladies in my bay really helped me push myself. It's a life changing operation where I'll need to do things so differently from now on.

In 6 weeks I should be better and more independent.

Hopefully getting discharge tomorrow if I pass my stair assessment.

Anyway hope your not too disheartened by that doctor.

Keep in touch and let me know what happens.

Lindsey x

• Posted

I'm hoping it will help...the pain can be really awful some days.

Glad it went well and sorry you haven't been as mobile as you thought. It can only get better thou smile old ladies are great I find! Hope you get discharged today. I'll keep you updated and please keep in touch with your progress too.

Louise xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.