First day home

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone - I just got out of hospital yesterday after a right thr on friday.  Feeling very sore and stuff obviously but reading all the posts here has normalised everything I/'m feeling.   So thank you.  Does everyone feel a bit spaced out on the morphine meds?  I caught myself staring into the distance several times last night - studying absolutely nothing at all lol

Am off to attempt my first wash - wish me luck lol.

Michelle

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, congrats on it all being over and you now have a brand new hip! I’m going in for mine on Saturday so I shall be following this post with interest. The only reservation I have about morphine is I’m praying I don’t have to have another enema! I was sensible and took laxatives but I still got so bad the district nurse had to come in and give me an enema. It was horrid. Be sure you take all the laxatives they prescribe and drink a lot of water x x 
    • Posted

Hi. Hope your op went as planned and you're not feeling too bad x

Message me if you'd like a chat

Michelle

• Posted

Hiya I'm 8 days in....wasn't given morphine to come home with...paracetamol and dihydrocodeine ....don't think you will be on it for long...feel slightly dizzy when standing to begin with so be very careful to get your balance first!!! I was not taking enough meds to begin with trying to take as little as possible...doesn't work I've stepped them up and feel much better! X

• Posted

They stopped the morphine after three days for us. I hate to say it but I did miss it.  I was then left with Tramadol and Paracetamol. Also they allowed us showers the day after the op, except there was only one bathroom with a shower, so a bit of a fight! 
    • Posted

Hi what do you put over your dressing when you have a shower and are you on a drip when you come from theatre? (Hydration) thanks x 
    • Posted

Your dressing is really waterproof so no worries....I was on a drip when I came out but only saline x
    • Posted

Hi I had a clear waterproof cover over my wound. Had a shower at the hospital on day 2 before I came home. I didn’t have drip.
  • Posted

Yes morphine makes you really woozy, and sleepy, son told me when he visited, "everything nice and pink Mum, and laughed like a drain, he told me I looked stoned", just go with the flow, if you need to sleep, best thing that can happen, sleep is giving your body a chance to heal itself, so just listen rather than fight the sleepy times just go with it, and also good for that swelling in your leg, and forget about the clock, this surgery seems to mess us up sleeping at night for alot of people, but it does get better.

Bad side effect for me was the constipation, caused by morphine, lots of extra water, some orange juice for my usually helps things along so to speak.

Do some really gentle exercises, leg stretches, go careful and don't bend past 90 degrees.

• Posted

Hi Michelle, welcome to the Hippie club. Yes morphine can do that to you. I was ok on it, but i cannot take tramadol as I hallucinate really bad!  Ask for help with washing the areas you cannot reach, I was given a long handled brush with a sponge on it, but found it difficult to use, initially. So had hubby and sisters in law helping me. 

Remeber we all progress at different rates. I thought my recovery was slow, but when i look back at comments i made, I was doing ok, District nurse advised me to go to bed for two hours every afternoon, even if you dont sleep, which i did alot in the beginning, it helps get rid of the water retained due to swelling of the leg. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you. I think as women we naturally feel guilty about having a lie down in the middle of the day but my body is just screaming at me to lie down and sleep.
  • Posted

Congratulations! The soreness and stiffness lasted a good seven weeks for me then, poof! It was gone. I got off the heavy meds six days after and relied on ice and Tylenol only. The meds I was on screwed with my stomach and made me feel out of it.  The sooner you are off them, while still being comfortable, the better! 

• Posted

hi I'm  into my 9th day...just wondered did your thighs hurt sort of burning sensation Inhad it before surgery and took ibuprofen I presumed it was the inflammation ....

• Posted

Hi I haven't got a burning sensation yet its just achey. The meds help but they make me so sleepy lol. Still I'm only at the start of the journey so things can only improve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.