First day on Escitalopram?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi, I tried Sertrline for 5 weeks but I guess it wasn't meant for me, started on Escitalopram today 5mg for 2-days and then 10mg after. if you would share your feedback, side effects what to expect, how to best deal with them and finally I understand it takes about 2 weeks before I see any benefits...Would greatly appreciated! I'm suffering from Anxiety with slight depression. Thank you

0 likes, 743 replies

743 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I too didn’t have a very good time with Sertraline, in fact I cannot tolerate it.

I’ve been on Escitilopram for nearly a year now after coming off the awful Mirtazapine ! ( another that didn’t suit me)

I increased over a few weeks until getting onto my current dose of 15mgs.

Took a few weeks to feel any affects ( I also take other medication for my mental health)  I have not experienced any side effects thankfully 😅 good luck 😉 

• Posted

Hi, Hana!

?I'm probably not the best person to answer your question, as I'm still on just 5 mg after 14 days;-). I'm prescribed 10 mg., but haven't gotten brave enough to move up to that yet.

?I've had minimal side effects on the 5 mg. The only side effects I can say I've had for sure are a spaced out feeling after an hour or two of taking my pill in the morning. It was especially noticeable when I turned my head or looked up or down.

?I've also had some insomnia and stomach issues, BUT I had both before starting escitalopram, so I think it's due to anxiety rather than side effects. I've actually started sleeping better the last few nights; whether that's due to the escitalopram starting to work or me just realizing I won't have bad side effects on 5 mg with this drug, I don't know.

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

How are ya?

I'm on my 4th day and having the spaced out feeling, especially when I stare into my computer.

How long did that take to go away?>

Appreciate it,

Husam

• Posted

Thanks for the replies! after taking the 5 mg, Saturday was good to me over all, my anxiety stayed far and it helped. Today still on 5 mg, felt some anxiety but it’s getting better now, tomorrow I’m starting on 10 mg a day and I’m anxious a bit, I’m going to stick with it hoping I’ll get the benefits in the weeks to come.
  • Posted

Good luck 😉 

It took a few weeks to be honest for me to feel the full effects , I take mine in the morning,

When do you take yours ?

• Posted

Hi Karen, I take mine in the morning around 6 am. Today was the first day on 10 mg from the previous 2 days on 5 mg, felt Anxiety around 1 pm, but it went away within 30 minutes, I guess maybe due to the bigger dose and I think my body will adjust to it. Good Luck!
  • Posted

Day 4 on 10 MG: As usual low Anxiety in the morning, it went away after 2 PM. I was in a very good mood, feeling good all the way till I went to bed around 11:30 😊

• Posted

Your post inspires me :-)! I've been so nervous about going up to 10 mg at the end of June due to side effects. It sounds like you are doing great on the 10 mg though, and that gives me hope!

• Posted

Day 6; still experiencing morning Anxiety that goes away in the afternoon and I'm fine.Too early though, only 6 days on Escitalopram, but I feel it's helping me little by little everyday and that's a good sign, the previous AD Sertraline didn't work at all. I pray to get better almost everyday. 

• Posted

Day 15: So far....Things are going well, I had a bad headache and felt a little nausea yesterday, first time since taking the medicine. Sometimes I cut a gram or 2 out of the 10 MG tablet when the day before the medicine was too strong. Have a happy Sunday people.
    • Posted

Hi I’ve had the identical same problems the headache and nausea I wonder if things are going better for you now?

• Posted

Sadly i am going in a year and still struggling. I Have been on TRINTELLIX, rexulti for about 6 months ans lamotrgine for a year i still have really bad days and i am struggling to find the right meds.

i still suffer from depression and anxiety as well as brain racing thoughts. i am still crying but hopeful someday they will find the right meds for me 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.