First day on Sertraline...Is this supposed to happen?

Posted , 34 users are following.

[i:7423936910] I have been diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety. The doctor has gave me Sertraline 50mg. I have only been on it one day so far and already i cant sleep, have headaches, havent eaten, im tired but my eyes are not shutting. I also feel queasy. And also 'numb'. My jaw is also clamping together and legs are twitching?? Could someone please help me. Thank you.[/i:7423936910]

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hello

I'm on day 3 of sertraline 50 mg, I have been experiencing waves of slight anxiety and am finding it difficult to get back to sleep once I wake up after about 3 hours.

My heads feels like its going sideways and up and down (its all over the place) but this is managable.

But it could all be related coming off Prozac which I came off 2 weeks ago to start Sertraline.

also added to this is the slight paranioa of taking a new tablet! and I cant forget that that I do suffer with depression and anxiety anyway so this could also be just that.

I'm going to stick it out for 2 months, I will post a weekly update on here for anyone to follow if they wish.

To Sophie I suggest you speak with your GP if you have any concerns, try not to dwell on all the negatives you read about this medication as no one ever lists the positives.

It is a bit worrying taking these I must admit, but try and give it a week or 2?

Good luck

Jono

• Posted

[i:dc4d815a4e]Hi Jono,

Yes i totally agree with all the symptoms. I have a banging headache and im also hungry but food is not appealing. Im going to see how i am in a week or two. I will keep updating my post for support.[/i:dc4d815a4e]

• Posted

Looks like we're in the same boat, if its any help my GP said that they are unlikely to affect me for at least a week?

So I'm putting it all down to the normal run of things for me, I'm also keeping real busy trying to proccupy myself.

Let you know after the weekend how its going.

Take it easy

Jono

• Posted

[i:b6cc3cbedb]Im on my second day now on Sertraline. Symptoms have died down a tad, slept better lastnight. But im still aggitated and worrying about my relationship, nothing is exactly wrong with it thats the problem. [/i:b6cc3cbedb]
  • Posted

Hi, I've been on Setraline now on and off for the last 4+ years. Don't panic and stick with them they really do the trick for me. The first few days can be a nightmare, unable to sleep, can't settle to do anything, dodgy tummy complete with the runs(just for about 1 day) :oops: But they work for me and once you get over the first week or so it's all good.[/b]
    • Posted

That's good to know I will stay with it for a little while longer

• Posted

[i:4f4102f8f7]Third day on Sertraline now. I feel i've gone back to how i was before. Cant switch my brain off from thinking at all. Any advice???

Thanks[/i:4f4102f8f7]

• Posted

Hiya im just at the end of my second week on sertraline having previously been on citalopram for a year and a half. All your symptoms have happened to me i struggle sleeping, feel sick alot of the time and just feel restless and crap, BUT as you know it doesnt happen over night and some of the feelings ive had could be down to withdrawing from my other tablets. im just going to stick with it give it a month and then see my GP :? . Keep in touch ive felt better about it all since ive been on this forum and can share experiences :wink: x take care lucie xxx
  • Posted

Hi all

Its day 7 today, something definetly has changed, feeling a little better. kind of spaced out and cant stopping over thinking, everything is real vivid.

Overall I think its a shift in the right direction.

I'm unsure about going up to 100mg though, I can really feel the 50mg

doing something to me.

My sleep is worst, I wake up a lot during the night, and start thinking.

Not bad stuff just cant switch off.

Well I'll come back in a couple of days to update, got work tomorrow that'll be the tester for me!

All the best

Jono

• Posted

[i:2cc0659486]Day 6 now. I seem to have gone back to the way i was before. Maybe my negative thinking and depression is built into me or maybe im just cynical about these tablets??[/i:2cc0659486]
  • Posted

[i:28070057e0]Day 6 now. I seem to have gone back to the way i was before. Maybe my negative thinking and depression is built into me or maybe im just cynical about these tablets??[/i:28070057e0]
  • Posted

[quote:49a36af6bd=\"sophie100\"][i:49a36af6bd]Day 6 now. I seem to have gone back to the way i was before. Maybe my negative thinking and depression is built into me or maybe im just cynical about these tablets??[/i:49a36af6bd][/quote:49a36af6bd]

Sophie, stick with it. I have been on Setraline for four months now, progressively working up to the maximum does which is now working but it is very much a case of two steps forward and one step back. The symptoms you describe particularly the disturbed sleep maybe a consequence of the depression not the drugs. You sometimes can continue to slide for a while before the drugs kick in and bring benefit. Setraline does have some side-effects like a dry mouth, excess sweating and I have found it helpful to drink a whole lot more fluids to combat the effects of de-hydration which include headaches. On the negative thinking I am finding CBT very helpful in combating the devasting effects of my negative thoughts which I too thought were built into me. Hope this helps.

Mark.

• Posted

I tried to commit suicide on Saturday. My girlfriend found me with an empty packet of paracetamols. She took me to the hospital where i had to have an ECG and needles etc. They also conviscated my Sertraline 50mg. Since my overdose i have been feeling on top of the world. I feel like a miracle has happened. I also think it has to get worse to get better. Now i couldnt wish for any more happiness smile

No more sertraline for me! :D

• Posted

Sorry to hear your going thro so much to the ponit of causing yourself harm. I am on my first day of sertraline and havent really had many side effects apart from feeling abit sick and runny tummy. Im glad they have convisacted then from you and it has made u feel alot better but jisy be prepared beacuse it can all go back to square one quite quickly. Thats the trouble with aniexty is one day im feeling on top of the world yet other day i just wana curl up and cry. Im hoping these tablets can help me. My aniexty and ocd is more of nasty scary thoughts like harming a love one or if i have a symptom (only 1 out of the whole list) of a diaease or conditon i convince myself i have it. Its a horrible but very common mental issue to have and ur not alone but harming yourself isnt going to get rid of the feelings hun. Hope ur srill doing ok x
  • Posted

ive just started a course of sertraline today and im feeling a bit sick and dizzy. over the past couple of years ive been on a number of anti-depressants which all gave me really bad side effects such as banging headaches and weird nightmares. to have just a little sickness and dizziness is quite a relief. ive struggled with anxiety and depression for a number of years, i just hope sertraline is the miracle cure ive been waiting for for so long.

ps; can the people responding to this thread give me some more feed back on how effective sertraline was for them?

i take a 100mg daily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.