First day on Sertraline...Is this supposed to happen?

Posted , 34 users are following.

[i:7423936910] I have been diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety. The doctor has gave me Sertraline 50mg. I have only been on it one day so far and already i cant sleep, have headaches, havent eaten, im tired but my eyes are not shutting. I also feel queasy. And also 'numb'. My jaw is also clamping together and legs are twitching?? Could someone please help me. Thank you.[/i:7423936910]

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on sertraline now for about 4 months, the first week was a mare, feeling sick, ill etc, but I decided to give them a go. I am now sleeping better have lost one and half stone which is good for me lol. Still eating normally etc.

Only thing I find now is I cant sit still, fidgitting and rocking lol, but I can cope with that, I am feeling better in my self.

Was prescribed these as I have M.E to try help, as I was in a lot of pain and everything else that goes with this illness, The pain is now a lot better.

I still have off days but not as many. I am on 50mg at mo.

Michaela [color=green:74b0759d98][/color:74b0759d98]

• Posted

:cry:

I have been on sertraline now for a couple of months - since discovering I was pregnant {whilst on Citalopram} I had been put on Citalopram after failed suicide attempt. These feelings of \"self harm\" as the doctors like to call it have not gone away at all and the only thing keepiong me going is being pregnant - though now even that is not working as it was and I am slipping deeper into the gloom

I too just can't be bothered with food which could perhaps explain why at 6 months pregnant I am still in my pre-pregnancy business suits.

I am not sleeping and really not feeling any benefits at all - still spending most nights sat in a chair crying alone.

I have no support from CPN's at all, as all they saw on their one 20 min visit was a business woman managing to go to work every day.

I was putting my wooly head down to being pregnant but I guess it could be the drugs.........

Will they ever work though ?...............

• Posted

Hi I was put on 50mg Steraline at First and they didnt seem to do anything for me so i went back to the doctors nd theyve now put me on 100mg i had the first one yesterday and made the mistake of taking it around 5pm i felt so tired and sickly but id already felt sick as there is a chance i could be pregnant, lter on i fighted going asleep as it was too early, couldnt eat and when it got to going to bed i couldt sleep at all the feeling is like a really bad hangover! gag reflex are terrible im not sure weather its pregnancy symptoms or off these steraline tablets but its the second day today and ive woken up feeling really shi**y and alls i want to do is go to sleep and i cant HELP!!! sad xx
  • Posted

Started takind sertaline about 18days ago now first four days was Abit up and down then amazing couldn't believe the difference my partner noticed straight away everything was so calm in my head had so much moretime for my family didn't feel everything was cosing in on me overwhelming mefelt a whole new person how have I coped all these years without them, didn't no how bad I was until now, thanks to my partner pointing it out I'd have never have. Known now I no what its like to feel calm and relaxed. Then 15 days pass and I notice there beginning to stop working 17days back to before its weekend so can't speak to a doctor. So read a few of these and decided to take an extra half making my dose 75mg doesn't seem to have. Madras difference. Gonna wait till tomorrow before taking anymore speak to the doctor but feel 100mg ain't gonna do it and don't want to end up the same as before would happily take them everyday for the rest of me life if they work like they did last week
  • Posted

Started taking sertaline this morning- 25mg i think to start off, currently at work, feels like i could run a long way- or smoke a lot of cigarettes! Been in my system for 5 or 6 hours and i feel WIRED- i know this is normal as I have been on other tablets before this. Hoping this tablet will work really well for me! Trying to keep positive, just feel quite agitated and a bit hyper- dont feel like eating much and i have like a clench jaw. Anyway ill keep on keeping on. Hope this helps others.
  • Posted

Hi - I started taking Sertraline (50mg) three days ago following, what has been on reflection, years of lows, feeling anxious, impatient, angry and on generally on edge. Even after the first day I felt calmer this could be the fact I had finally admitted how I felt to a doctor and taken the first steps to tackling my internal state.

The first day after a about 20 mins I felt the back of my head tighten and it felt light. I also felt extremely drowsy and slept for a bout 20 mins (I set my alarm so I didn't over sleep). Although I was hungry food had limited appeal, however I made myself eat something but didn't get the usual enjoyment that I do from food. I have had episodes of queasiness and I am finding myself feeling extremely lethargic. I did make myself go to the gym today (day three). I feel pretty spaced and mellow currently and have no feelings of anxiety nor do I feel the need to cry. Things are no longer irritating me and I feel more patient with people and situations.

So far I can sleep and have no twitching in my legs but my jaw feels a little tense and I have a slight headache. Although initially wary of running the anti-depressant gauntlet so far I am glad I did.

Em

• Posted

I started taking sertraline 25mg yesterday at 4pm and didn't feel anything. Today i took 25 mg at 9am and most of the day I have been feeling anxious, impatient(pacing back and forth), drowsy, and like my jaw wants to lock up. Will it go away or do I have to put up with it for a while?
  • Posted

Hi Mundo, I've just been prescribed 100mg today, but my doctor told me to take one tablet around 9pm.

Maybe it might help to change the time to the evening? But please don't take my word for it as I don't want you to go against your doctors advice. I hope you start to feel the benefits of it soon.

• Posted

Hi

I have been on Sertraline for about 2.5 weeks. I tried taking 50mg on Boxing day and it was awful. Shaking, grinding teeth, blurred vision, nausea. Really horrible feelngs. So I stopped it and waited until New year then took half a table a day 25mg. Not as bad but still had same side effect but lesser. Was hard to work - I felt so out of it - it felt like I was coming down from a big night out or something. After a week I increased to 50mg and I am not bad but can still feel some effect - mainly strange feeling in jaw, clenching and massive yawns. I am going to stick it a bit longer but the GP side they may switch me to something else.

I think I am beginning to feel calmer. I am also trying Mindfulness to see if that help. I have a blog if anyone wants to read it!

• Posted

Hi, I've been on Sertraline for a couple of years after taking citalapran for 8 years.

I was diagnosed with post natal depression. When I started Sertraline I felt sick, dizzy and not good.

The doctor advised me to take them an hour before bed which helped with the side effects.

These tablets

really have helped me to get on with life.

However a warning to anyone taking antidepressants is that please make

sure you are monitored by the doctor. I believe I shouldn't have been allowed to stay on them for so long.

Now I feel that I am addicted and I am too scared to come off them in case I should have a relapse.

If anyone has managed to come off Sertraline and has any advice I would be grateful for any advice.

• Posted

Hey everyone

I have been taking sertraline for 3 days now, the first day I was feeling really sick and not hungry and my jaw feels numb/tingly. Yestrday was my second day not feeling hungry in the slightest (and I'm a big but after not eating anything for 12 hours I had to force myself to eat something) but side effects where worse for me I felt dizzy, nausea, my face feeling numb and end up feeling not in control witch lead to a panic attack sad so today

I wasn't going to take any today because of the fright I had last night but I am going to just try fight through it, my doctor told me to try just stick with the for a few days/a week and I shouldn't get the side effects.

If anyone else has the same side effects or know how to reduce them please comment

• Posted

2 days on sertraline 25mg..just walked into my bedroom for the fourth time..still don't know what I was going for..are a little tonight..feeling bloated, little fidgety..hoping will get better before I increase in a week to 50mg
  • Posted

I just started taking Sertraline (50 mg) yesterday and I didn't really expect for it to start working right away... It'm my first time taking antidepressents, and to be honest... I didn't want to. It's been 8 months now that I have depression, and it has been getting slighlty worse, so my parents and family thought it would be best. I felt really drowsy and sleepy after 20 minutes of taking them and it reminded me of when I was at the hospital and they used to give me morphine. I thought I would be so tired and sleep so much, but it was hard to close my eyes. Usually I fall asleep within 3 to five minutes of resting in bed, but yesterday it took me perhaps 20. Now it's 3:53 A.M. and I can't go back to sleep. I have school tomorrow and I'm wondering why I can't sleep. I want it to be 6 already so I can get ready and on with the day... my hands are shaky too. But maybe I'm nervous ? I don't know. I seemed happier yesterday without them... but I'll have patience and give them more time.
  • Posted

I'm on sertraline too, been on it a week tomorrow and feel terrible. Can't skeep, restless, no appetite, shaky legs. Iv been on this drug before so I know to stick with it as it does work but just now I want to run away, remember it will get better😃you can do it, I have put positive notes all over the place to keep me positive and my friends are brilliant, take care x
  • Posted

I started on 25mg 3 days ago and meant to be increasing to 50mg tomorrow.  I am wired today, won't be drinking so much coffee tomorrow. Have shaky legs.  Not hungry, will eat though.  First time on Sertraline.  I had headaches for first two days, blurred vision and stomach pains (first day only).  Going to give it a try though.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.