First day on Sertraline...Is this supposed to happen?

Posted , 34 users are following.

[i:7423936910] I have been diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety. The doctor has gave me Sertraline 50mg. I have only been on it one day so far and already i cant sleep, have headaches, havent eaten, im tired but my eyes are not shutting. I also feel queasy. And also 'numb'. My jaw is also clamping together and legs are twitching?? Could someone please help me. Thank you.[/i:7423936910]

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This is my first complete day and it's in the p.m. and I have a dry mouth plugged up nose and my blood pressure is high and I'm very sleepy going to try a few more days but I already have high blood pressure so I don't need it any higher what a mess I'm supposed to be taking something to make you feel better not worse

• Posted

Hi everyone I am take Sertraline 50mg this will be my 4 day take them and I feel like I am eating all the time feel like I am have Moro pank attack when I am take them I know its going to take a bit to work should I say take them for a bit Moro can someone help me piz thanks
  • Posted

I took Sertralene 25mg for the first time in October 2017 but didn't stick with it - only did the first couple of days but I felt really good within myself! I was happy and really smiley (although I was nausious And dizzy at first). I've been getting progressively worse, losing interest in my passion for performing arts, not wanting to hang out with friends, I'd become recluse and unresponsive which has had a massively negative effect on my degree. It was when I had the urge to walk out into oncoming traffic that I decided I had to do something so I took that step and I'm now back on them. I took the first one yesterday evening and again I was really smiley and positive and everyone who's seen me at my worst these past few months made seemed to bounce off my new found positive energy! Still got the nausea and only had three hours sleep but I fell asleep smiling! Updates to follow 😄 stay strong everyone - much love x

• Posted

I started the tablets yesterday I felt so spaced out quenched jaw and stomach was like a washing machine al day. Feel a bit spaced out today still and have yet to take today’s tablet so thinking o might take mine at night. Hope after a few days things settle 
  • Posted

hi,

i been on Setraline for nearly 4 days to deal with my anxiety especially social anxiety. first 2 days i felt amazing now 3rd day in and my jaw wont stop clenching, i feel lightheaded like my head is swimming, off balance and my anxiety symptoms kicked in bad to the point i felt like the muscles in my arms are on fire and getting the starts of a panic attack and now im unable to sleep. im tired and yawning but sleep isnt happening. im hoping these symptoms dissapear soon.

• Posted

My doctor put me on sertraline 50mg for general anxiety, I've had for years .. I took my first pill last night. I thought if i took it at night, it would be better so i could skip any major side effects.. No 😦 I took it at 6:30pm. Within 45 minutes i felt brain fog, so i took a shower and by the time i was out, my brain felt numb. I felt blank. I laid in bed and stared at my feet for like 30 minutes! I couldn't think. I was definitely not used to lack of mental focus that i had, i felt like a complete zombie. attempting to sleep was terrible. throughout the night my limbs felt numb and disconnected, i was so restless. I tossed and turned all night. At 12, i could feel the mental cloud slowly lifting, but then my body wouldn't allow me to sleep anymore even though my eyes were so heavy. oh, and i did get pretty nauseous for a while. Today things were still cloudy and I'm totally exhausted but for a brief period in the late morning i felt really good. But i do feel like im not myself even now. I'm trying to decide when to take it now, its 8:30 and I'm so tired but I'm so not looking forward to feeling all of that over again. I'm going to stay on it for a bit and give it a chance so i can hopefully be less anxious , but there is absolutely a feeling of numbness which i do not like so i hope that isn't how it continues to affect me. Thank you all for sharing. I'm so glad i found this page and you've all made this so much easier , just knowing others are going through this too helps so much!

• Posted

Thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences, I can’t tell you how much reassurance everyone has given!

So, today is day one of 50mg Sertraline (taken first thing, for anxiety) and I have felt terrible! Splitting headache, (although I do get them regular) nausea but an appetite which is strange because I’m easily put off of my food and excessive sweating..again this is common for me but today differed due to the odour! This was manageable until I was about to finish my shift at work, this is when my stomach felt instantly hollow and within seconds I experienced severe, uncontrollable tremors and went into meltdown. I felt as though I could not control my emotions and this worried me but as I said reading these posts have helped so much, allowed me to calm down and now I’m prepared to persevere and see the results. Thank you everyone!

• Posted

Hi there,

i took sertraline for the first time yesterday and felt so awful. I was wondering if you persevered and if you feel any better.

• Posted

Hi there, hope you feel better today. Persevere if you feel you can, 6 weeks in and the tablets have had such a positive effect..my anxiety around people really has reduced massively. I now make conversation instead of avoiding them which is really big for me. I also lost my job around 3 weeks in and was able to cope with this much easier than if i was without the tablets. My relationship with my partner has also improved because im so much more relaxed and the littlest thing doesnt agitate me. Overall I think the tablets are great and worth sticking it out..the side effects only last a little while. Hope this helps

• Edited

I am 16 years old and 34 weeks pregnant. within the first seven and a half hours I have felt sick, its hard to swallow, I feel the need to throw up, I have a really bad headache, I am dizzy and I'm highly anxious and depressed.

i am taking these for PTSD, anxiety/paranoia and depression.

i am now anxious because I have had suicidal thoughts when I was younger and I self harmed for awhile up until I got pregnant. i really dont want to get worse - not when I'm pregnant. i only have (maybe) 6 weeks left.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.