first dose 10mg, cut in half( 5mg ). chest pressure

Posted , 4 users are following.

Took first dose last night at 1130pm. I experienced myself trying to catch a breath. I don't know if it was part of the anxiety, but I didn't panic over it' I kept saying it's just anxiety.

Also I only slept a couple hours if that, anyone else have these side effects?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please help. It would be really appreciated!
  • Posted

Hi Elsa, my anxiety went through the roof when I first took Citalopram. I had pretty much a full blown panic attack on the second day, a psychiatrist friend of mine explained that my anxiety would get worse before it gets better. I had a lot of feelings of not being able to get a deep breath. I am also in 10mg and on week 10 and although the last few days my anxiety has been high again on the whole it has improved. You could feel worse before you feel better but it really is about giving the medication a chance to work. Everyone is different, even at 9 weeks I think I've still got a long way to go before everything evens out. As I said I've had some really ok days and some roller coaster ones but you'll get lots of support in this forum from people who have been on this journey longer than I have. Wishing you all the best. Stephen
    • Posted

Thank you for the encouragement.

Yeah I guess what most discourages me is the insomnia. Is that something you went through. I guess everyone is different. But insomnia makes my anxiety worse. Also when do you take your dose. I guess I have to start saying it gets worse better it gets better. Which is almost everyone's take on it.

• Posted

Hi Elsa, sleep deprivation was the one thing that nearly put me off continuing the meds as even though my anxiety and panic were pretty much all consuming , my respite was my sleep and the first week of Citalipram I was only getting 2-3 hours sleep at the most. It will affect all different kinds of your anxiety symptoms but if you can ride it out things will improve and you will see a difference. It is tough going in the beginning especially the first couple of weeks but the side effects should ease up after that. I have many self help books and audio meditations I use to help as althought the meds will make a difference they work better with changes in our thought patterns and behaviours. Keep posting as you really will get lots of help on the journey. Stephen
    • Posted

Sorry meant to add that I take my dose in the morning, purely because I couldn't stand the thought of having a panic attack in my sleep, but others say they take it at night as it helps them sleep. By taking it during the day I found I had more things to occupy my mind when the anxiety was high. Stephen
    • Posted

Good morning Elsa. I take my Cit in the morning. Always have so i dont know if there are any benefits to it. I have been on 30 mg's for about 3 months now and I'm happy to say I have been sleeping great lately. This is a long journey but really worth it in the long run. Many ppl post their diff experiences in here so its great to see how this med helps!!! U will get better-just a matter of time.
    • Posted

Yes , maybe I need to take it in the morning then. It's very reassuring to hear that it can affect all your anxiety symptoms, but that it does get better. I pray that it will.

Do you have GAD? I was diagnosed with panic disorder and mild anxiety.

• Posted

Thank you for your response.

I'm so glad your having a good experience. Did you initially suffer insomnia or other side effects?

• Posted

I had lots of side effects, insomnia being the worst one. I wud wake up and toss and turn for 2 hrs. But I've been having great sleeps lately. These meds have made a big difference in my life. Before I found this site though I had my doubts. Ppl who post here have lots of experience with Cit and that was a big plus!!!!!
    • Posted

Over the years I've been through every anxiety disorder there is😀Without boring you, my history was initial panic disorder starting when I was about 12. Then I developed GAD and I believe this was linked to the constant anxiety with the panic stuff. Anyway like I said its went through everything from social anxiety to health anxiety and everything in between. I'm not big on labels and my experience is anxiety can manifest itself in so many different ways and affect all areas of someone's life but if we can work with the anxiety and not add fear to it ( easier said than done I know ) we can live without the symptoms dominating our lives. Stephen
    • Posted

I can't imagine what that was like for you. But it seems like you have a better outlook on your experience.

Did you ever experience a heaviness in the chest and head. That is the worst for me. And of course the racing thoughts.

• Posted

I hope to be on your side soon enough. Did you ever take something for sleep?
    • Posted

Hi Elsa, yes I've had heaviness of the chest and head and the racing thoughts. This is all anxiety, and no doubt when you get less bothered about one symptom another one arises. Try to remind yourself YOU ARE SAFE and all these things you think and feel are anxiety. Stephen
    • Posted

Well I'm trying to do that. I guess I have to try harder, and also give citalopram a honest try. Even though at the moment it doesn't feel too good. Thank you stephen.
    • Posted

If you see my posts on this forum when I first started Citalopram you will see how worried I was about it not working and my symptoms getting worse. I found mindfulness really helpful in getting through the tough times. Look out for Katecogs as she helped me so much too. Stephen
    • Posted

Hi again Elsa. My Doc suggested I try Melatonin. I did for a week or so and it did help. I havent taken anything for the past 10 weeks or so

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.