First period after myomectomy

Posted , 65 users are following.

Hi all

It was 2 weeks yesterday since I had my open myomectomy and this morning I woke with the worst period pains ever!! 😫

My tummy hurts so much particular at the sides of my scar and my back....if it hurt before, now it's seriously hurting!!! Is this normal??? Did anyone else experience this? Is it a one off because my op is still fresh or will my period always be like this from now on? I'm in agony and keep bursting into tears 😪

Thanks

3 likes, 112 replies

112 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi..

I had my myomectomy 2 weeks ago and today is the second day of my period. I'm experiencing same as you and it's totally awful. When I thought after surgery the heavy flows and pains will be over.

Did it get any better? What can I do? Even sleep is eluding me,I'm being careful not to take too many pain killers .

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Byge,

I started my period 10 days after my surgery and it's so painful and heavy. I was wondering Was your menstrual flow heavy? And what did you take to ease the pain? I see that it's been 3 months since you post this, has your menstrual flow and pain gotten any better with time? Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Lynda410

my first period after the surgery was painful and heavy and hurt so badly arou d my scars. I took clofenac to help ease the pain, it gets better with time, my flow is back to normal, painful on the first day only and heavy only on the 3rd day, it will get better with time. don't worry

• Posted

Glad to know there is light at the end of the tunnel.Thanks for that.
  • Posted

Hi everyone ,

I'm in exactly the same boat . I started my period yesterday and it's the worst pain ever . It's really dark blood and lots of it and the paracetamols aren't taking the pain away 😩

I'm four weeks post open myomectomy yesterday . Had a really hard recovery and now this. It's been the worst experience of my life sad

Hope your all recovering well!

Best

Lizzie

• Posted

Hang in there Liz, I'm 3 weeks post op and feeling the same way. I will pray for you. Please do the same for me.

• Posted

Hello,

I had my myomectomy done 11/14/2016. Two weeks after I also got my first period, no period in December, and just got my second one two days ago. These two have by far been the worst cycles I have ever had.. Feels like I am having contractions 😩. Calling my Dr so as the office opens to set an apt. Hopefully this is all a part of our healing process ladies ??

• Posted

Follow up: I am on my third cycle, the pain isn't as bad and the flow wasn't as heavy. Still pretty heavy but not as bad as the first two periods.

• Posted

Hi Nia212

I'm sorry to hear what you had been through just wondering if your menstrual gotten any better?

• Posted

Hello, yes it had gotten a lot better after a few months. I think I went to the er a total of five times due to all types of pain, swelling, heavy cots, bleeding.... it is all apart of the healing phase... I found out I was pregnant three weeks ago... so seems everything went great!! Hang in there it does get better!
    • Posted

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!! Did you have an open myomectomy? I had a vertical Open myomectomy 3 weeks ago and can't imagine even trying anytime soon simply because of the healing process. Wondering how long it would take before a person could even attempt to conceive

• Posted

Thank you, yes I also had the vertical open myomectomy. I had 6 fibroids removed. The biggest 6-7cm. I would definitely recommend waiting 6 months to allow your body time to heal after so much trauma. This was a total surprise as I was on the pill. However I'm very excited as it's my first @ 35 years old... Wishing you a speedy recovery!! If you have any questions please feel free to message!!

• Posted

Congratulations on the pregnancy. I hope to start trying in the Fall.
    • Posted

Hi Nia,

Did you experience light cramps between your 2nd and 3rd periods? I'm just wondering if it's all part of the healing process. They aren't terrible cramps but I do feel them.

• Posted

Hi sorry so late, yes I did have mild cramps. But not as bad as the cycles before. How are you feeling? How is everything going?
    • Posted

Hi there!

I just had my 3rd cycle. Very mild cramps but heavy bleeding for 1 day and a half - totally gone by 3rd day. I would say slight improvement considering I still have fibroids. Incision is healing but I find at times it's a bit sore. I need to remind myself that although I feel much better, I'm. It totally healed inside . Thanks for responding

• Posted

Happy to hear there is improvement!! Each cycle gets better... wishing you the best through out the rest of your journey 💕💕

• Posted

Hallo Nia, Congratulations to u and ur family. Please i will like to know how long u had to wait before engaging in sexual intercourse and how lond did it take before you conceive? I have made up my mind to go for the operation but am scared of the risk involve and also hoping to be a mother afterwards. Please reply asap. Thanks

Jenny.

• Posted

Hi Jenny!

I just had my myomectomy about 4 weeks ago now and I felt the same way. Though I was terrified of everything! I have to say though, it was the best decision!!! These are very safe surgeries and getting the fibroids out feels amazing (one of mine was over 20 cm!!). Anyway, to answer your questions...I was told to wait 2 weeks before having intercourse, though i waited a bit longer. I was also told to wait 3 months before trying to get pregnant. I know some people who were told to wait 6 months though. I think it depends on how extensive the surgery is. Good luck with the surgery! I think you will be so relieved and happy to have this done and over with!! Please feel free to ask any questions, happy to help! It is so nice to chat with people goong through a similar situation!

Rachel

• Posted

Hi Jenny, Thank you!! I was told to wait 6 weeks before having intercourse. And 6 months before trying to conceive. As there is a chance of uterine rupture, depending on the extent of your surgery. Well four months later we found out we were expecting. So far everything is okay. I was very hesitant and almost cancelled my surgery at the last minute because I was terrified of the risk. Hell if my medical team at the hospital the day of the surgery wasn't so good, I would have walked out while I was being prepped. I was a nervous wreck lol!! But it was well worth it! I'm sure you will feel the same a couple months after the surgery is done. The first two to three months you may question it but once you heal I'm sure you will be fine. Wishing you the best!!! Please keep us updated on how things go XOXO

• Posted

Hi Rachel, thank you so much for the response. Am positive it will go fine..i will have mine tomorrow, so am ready to now. Chat with you after the Op. Pray for me ooo.
    • Posted

Hallo Nina, thank a lot. With Ur words am encouraged. Mine is tomorrow. I will keep in touch as soon as it's over and am back home.

Stay healthy.... Thanks again. Ready to leave.........

Ciao.

• Posted

Hello Nia

Congratulations on your baby. I know this thread is quite old now and your baby is nearly here. Interesting that you skipped the 2nd cycle after myo. How did you feel during that cycle? Any explanations for it from your healthcare provider?I'm currently having a lighter than normal flow post laparascopic myomectomy and I'm really distressed. I'm renewed with hope that you did get pregnant shortly afterwards as that is my earnest desire. I pray we all cuddle our lovelies very soon. So help us God.

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you!!!  I was only told that it’s common to skip a cycle after surgery. I was very bloated, but AF never showed that month (no cramping, no nothing). My third cycle was  pretty rough (cramping ,heavy bleeding, and a lot of pain). I was very depressed, thinking I made things worst by having the surgery done.  My 4th cycle wasn’t as bad. Light cramping and not a lot of clotting  nor heavy bleeding (sorry if TMI). I never got my 5th cycle found out I was pregnant a couple of weeks later.  I never thought I would be able to carry a baby. I could never get pregnant.  Give it some more time & don’t give up. Our bodies have gone through a very traumatic experience.  But your time is coming very soon!!  Please keep me updated   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.