First physio since surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had PKR 13 days ago.

Was feeling like I was making huge progress. I hardly had any pain yesterday and was able to exercise and bend well. However today it has been very painful. Not great on day of physio!

Was really hoping to be able to go down to one crutch, but said not yet. She was pleased but a long way to go. I was annoyed that I was only at 88 degrees bend as I had achieved that whilst I was in hospital so I thought it would be better than that now. Been doing all my exercises every day, so I thought I would have made better progress. I asked her about recovery time being quicker for a partial. (Everyone keeps saying it's only a partial) She said with the patella femoral I had, the recovery and pain is exactly the same as a total. Only difference is total causes slightly more swelling. I was hoping to get back to work at 4 weeks, but she said no. Earliest 6 weeks and then possibly a phased return of only 2 hours a day to begin with. So a bit disappointed with that.

It's very swollen and painful now. When she pushed on the knee while straightening into the bed, I nearly hit the ceiling with the pain.

I didn't have any painkillers yesterday apart from at bedtime, but certainly had plenty today!

Oh well, no pain, no gain! X

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

So sorry for your outcome. We just have to go with the flow I guess and not push it..I know I am VERY independent and work full x

This is just killing me too!!

• Posted

You have made great progress thru all the ups and downs of PT and healing. 
  • Posted

What do you do for a job?  Try not to stop taking pain killers yet and keep topped up and with the ice it really does help. 
  • Posted

HI

To me it sounds like you see doing great. Recovery is not to rush. Take your time and do everything you need to do to heal. I’m wondering when I will start therapy? Tomorrow is follow up appt day 12 post op.

• Posted

I was surprised how long they leave it until first physio. Think I pushed it too much yesterday and today was a reality check.

Will make sure to continue icing and taking pain meds

Hopefully might be better when I have the stitches out tomorrow.

X

• Posted

Knee op recoveries are NOT linear!!!  Post this on your fridge...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

We make crap up in our heads.  Don't do that.  Accept the reality.  It will pass.......

• Posted

Thank you; I have photo shopped it and emailed it to myself at work. Will print it off tomorrow so so true 
  • Posted

I had a partial 13 weeks ago and recovery was just like a total! My knee is just starting to feel better and I’m still in therapy! Don’t be afraid to take your pain meds, why suffer? I took mine as needed to get me through some painful times. I took oxycodone for the first month then Dr deceased to  Tramandol as needed and Ibuprofen! I now only take ibuprofen and back to work ( RN desk job)! It is a slow recovery! Good luck!
    • Posted

How long have you been back at work? X
    • Posted

This is my second week! So I went back to work 11 day post opt! The only thing that’s bothering me is my periformis muscle when sitting, heating pad releases the muscle and makes it feel better! My knee does get stiff, but I get up every hour or so and move it around! It does get better!
    • Posted

Wow that was quick.

Just seen the consultant, says definitely no driving or work for at least 6 weeks.

Said my other is knee is bad, so said when I see him in 3 months, he will discuss doing that one!

Take it easy!

• Posted

I didn’t drive for 6 weeks either, replacement was on my right knee, and it does get stiff when I drive now!

My other knee is not good either! Isn’t this terrible? 

Oh, I meant 11 WEEKS post opt back to work not 11 day, I just saw what I wrote ! Lol! Sorry! But you will get better in time! My friend had both done with it a year of each other. She said one knee hurt her so bad, but the second operation wasn’t bad at all!  Hang in there it will get better!

• Posted

That's more like it. I thought 11 days was unheard of!!

I felt a bit down as I seem to have gone backwards. My range of movement was at 90 but now on 88 degrees and last few days it's more stiff and painful. Surgeon said this is normal and not to worry.

I certainly don't want to have the other one done this year. Maybe next as long as it doesn't deteriorate too drastically.

I'm only 46. They put off partial as long as possible as if it needed a TKR is not great at my age.

I asked how long the partial would last. Said the components would be 10-15 years, but it depends how the rest of the knee holds up as it already as arthritis in it.

Trying to lose weight in the hope that will allow the degeneration.

Oh the joys!

• Posted

I hear ya! It actually stinks! I’m starting to take tumeric 1500mg very day for Arthritis. I don’t know if this helps, but going to try it! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.