First timer on Citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I'm starting my citalopram tomorrow. Any advice as to when to take it. I've heard night time is best. Is this an on going medication now for anyone. Has anyone managed without it after a month or so ?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi kerry, I've been on cit 20mg for 6 weeks now, the benefits are amazing for me, I'm on it for anxiety, wouldn't go out or anything on my own, now I'm brilliant 😊 I had a few side affects the first week, dizzy, felt sick and a few head aches, my anxiety felt worse, I take mine 9.30 on a nite and found that I didn't loose any sleep, hope this helps and good luck 🍀 xx
    • Posted

Thanks Michelle

I've been prescribed this for depression. Starting on a months supply of 10mg! I wanted to make sure I can take in evening cause I have an early school run every morning and didn't want to be tired whilst driving.

Thanks again

• Posted

Yes same era, it's been tough the past few weeks not been able to take my kids to school it broke my heart, but like I said this medication has helped me alot now I'm able to start doing things I use to, hope you start to feel better soon xx
    • Posted

Thanks Michelle. Glad you're on the mend. Will you always be on these or will your doctor take you off them do you know? My doc said if they don't work they want me to see a psychiatrist!!! xx
    • Posted

I'm on repeat prescription for the next 4month, then he said he will start to reduce dose then hopefully off them. Just hope I'm ready when this happens xx
    • Posted

Hey Michelle,

I've been on citalopram 10 mg for about a week for Bad anxiety that's causing depression. And my anxiety is much worse. I feel kind of foggy headed and really lazy tired. I still do push myself to get up dressed and maintain my household. Which I had no type of energy a couple weeks ago. Just afraid the side effects will never get better or that I'll never get better.

• Posted

Daisy u sound like me i was in 10mg for 2-3 yrs with no issues a few wks ago i had a disater of a time everything that could happen did!! Tried to up to 20 mg and the side effects kicked my ass lol back down to 15mg but now i convinced im never gonna get better an b me again! God dam anxiety!
    • Posted

Daisey,Weenit,Kerry Elizabeth,

When we start any meds anti-depressants serontonin uptakes they will take time to process in the brain, if after weeks of nothing it can also be the dosage isnt enough or too much. Intially the side effects seem far worse than before as the meds can act like a paradox (I had major anxiety) once they settle it gets a lot better to the piint where side effects are barely noticable. I was lucky didnt have insomnia however before taking them I started a sleep ritual read before bed make sure I wasnt to hot in bed as I had bad sweats sometimes, avoid alarm clocks in the room reminding you of the time, there are foods and other things you can avoid etc etc however the biggest thing I learnt was if I had a bad night the next would normally be slightly better so it wasnt killing me and couldnt. We need to go to bed and slow the breathing and brain activity relax however you do that do it! naturally you will sleep try not stress about going to bed and not sleeping its a really bad habit!

Otherwise I wish you all the best hers to your recovery cheers!  

• Posted

Hi daisy, what your feeling is normal, it will get better I felt like in a dream like state but gradually got better, some days I still have anxiety attacks it's all part of the process, I'm going on to my 7th week so haven't been on it that long but can see good changes happening, hang on in there xxx
  • Posted

Hi Kerry, I took it for one day as it made my anxiety worse that evening. I woke up in the middle of the night with insomnia I just don't know what to do. I'm not saying that I it will happen to you everyone is different. I just have to find out what works for me. Let me know how you are after taking. Take care.
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth, sorry to but in, just to let you know I was very apprehensive to take cit, it took me almost a week to take first tablet I was that scared and yes it made my anxiety worse for the first week felt sick, shakes, but no sleepless nites, I forced myself to keep taking tablets as iknow it would get better and it has, iknow everyone is different hope you can give it another go and find out what works best for youtry and stick with it hun and hope you start to feel well soon xx
  • Posted

Hi Kerry, I have been on 20mg for a year and have started weaning ioff feel normal again !!! Citalopram is great! Worth for your happiness to take however there are side effects nothing as bad as the symptoms but be warned so make sure you stick with the meds as they build up over time not over night like a panadol wink some take them for 6 weeks before any change I was much quicker just had side effects yet worth it!!! congrats you'll soon feel better from this terrible illness!
    • Posted

Thanks Stevo. I do realise they take time to kick in. I don't fancy having to see a psychiatrist.
    • Posted

No one does want to see a Psychiatrist, however if it works man do it! I was open to anything by the end which going on anti depressant most people dont want to take them but I just wanted top feel normal again and now I do so all the best wink
    • Posted

Anytime Kerry wink I'm on the forum everyday so if things get tough man get on & let it out I'll I mean we will try to help where we can this forum is great the people are fantastic so strong and their advice helped me through a very tough time! 
    • Posted

Thanks stevo. Taking my first on in a few hours. I'll report back in the morning let you know how it went
    • Posted

Good luck kerry, you will be fine 😊 it will be tough first few weeks but you will get better we are all era to get through it together xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.