Five Months Post Op....Double Bunion Removal and Toe Correction

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all my lovely Bunion Buddies xx Its now nearly five months post op.. and going ok... i never thought i would see any light at the end of the tunnel, my feet still hurt and still feel very sore, i can only wear a soft walking shoe but i am walking and driving again, its been a long painful road and i thank every one who replied to my questions and giving me help and advise during my darkest moments.... i am back on a good diet now i am in a better frame of mind.. as during the first couple of months if i was not crying i was eating and have gained quite a lot of weight during the process....i now manage to get out to do food shopping and retail shopping but only for a short while because i feel quite tired having to walk slow and steady and by the time i get home my feet are paining and abit swollen so they go in a bowl of cool water, the nerve endings on both big toes are still very sensitive and i can not have any bed sheets touching them... its like little electric shocks but i am coping with that too... i am here to help anyone going through the highs and lows of this surgery as were the good people who helped me, i must say this site has been wonderful with help so i would like to give something back now to anyone who needs help too.... big thank you once again to my bunion buddies xx

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you for this post! I'm only 17 days post-op. My pain has been managed well, I'm just going stir crazy on bed rest! Good luck with your continued recovery!
    • Posted

thank you Kaliana x good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery, me too the bed rest made me do two things.... cry or eat... but we do get there in the end just abit of a long recovery, i still have at least another 7 months to go yet as i had the two done together and i a far from walking ad i should but i do feel i am over the worse, keep strong and postive xx
    • Posted

Thank you so much. I started doing pilates this week and sitting out on my rooftop deck. Fresh air and sun did wonders for me today!
    • Posted

Hi Kaliana,

If your doing Pilates already then that's fantastic. Excercise and sunshine is a great combination. Keep it up.😀😀😀😀

• Posted

Hi Gillee, I haven't been on the site in a while, just checked in on the off chance of seeing a familiar name, and saw your post!  Glad you have come thru and are really starting to get back up to speed.  What a shame your recovery was so difficult and you are still having pain. Last time i looked you were going on holiday in primark slippers. Made me smile. I haven't read back to see if you talked about your holiday adventures in house-shoes, but hope you had a great time. Must've been just what you needed after feeling so low in the early weeks post-op.  Keep up the good work, trying to do what you can without over-doing. You haven't mentioned - apart from scarring which will fade with time, do your feet look as good as you had hoped they would?  More than the cosmetic improvements is that you have gone thru this to have the structure of your feet repaired, since the bunions would have inevitably deformed even more as years went by and affected your mobility when older.

My second foot (five months post op, like you) healed more quickly than my first (2 yrs ago) and  i went into soft shoes at week 7, back to work at week 8. The swelling and some discomfort/stabbing pains continued for a few weeks and i still get some swelling after a long day on my feet. When the swelling went down i noticed a  bony bump at one end of the surgical scar and  at my 4 month check w/xrays i was surprised to find that the bump is the top of a SCREW sticking up! It leaves the scar tissue continually bruised from pushing under the skin but is otherwise not causing much discomfort. Never had this problem with my first foot. The surgeon says the screw is still working to hold the bones together, but in another 3 months or so he will  'go in' to remove the screw. Ick.  Hopefully it will be local anasthaetic, a small incision and recovery will be quick. Still so much better now on both feet than before the Ops.

Take care!   A

• Posted

hi alice... thanks for your kind reply.... ohoooo i do so feel for you having to have a screw removed.. this surgery is bad enough on its own with out that to deal with... i think you have done so well with your recovery being in a soft shoe at 7 weeks... and then work... god i have only recently starting driving again, and thats just local trips nothinng too long... and yes mine too if i am out abit longer than expected my toes swell and ankles... but i guess that also comes with putting on quite a bit of weight in the recovery... if i was not crying i was eating... plus the healing still going on.. i know alice i have at least another 7 months or so for things to be more comfortable... as for the holiday, it was nice but the heat made my feet and ankles very painful, a couple of days i stayed in the villa and did not go out just rested with my feet up... the times i did go out more so in the evenings my partner got me a wheelchair.... which was ok, but what with the primark house slippers.... i felt abit down at times lol plus in the wheelchair i once nearly ending up in a big fish pond... lol i can laugh about it now but at the time because i had to jump up out the chair so quick it really hurt my toes.... we did laugh though, but i will ever take walking for granted, i was however pleased to be back home in London which when we landed was cold and raining..... the feet seemed to like that more, please keep me posted as to how you get on with the screw correction, hope all goes ok for you xx take care
  • Posted

Hi, I am in week 8 and I have pain especially when my leg is not up .  In week 6 I couldn't put any bed sheets.  I still sleep with my legs on 5 pillows without moving all night but the next day my foot is better.  I think it is about blood flow.  I decided to take a baby aspirine and it helps to move the blood better.  Check with your doctor first. Another thing that helped me a little bit was the arnica gel and when I am seated on the chair I move my foot to help the blood flow.

My best wishes for you.  Have a great day

• Posted

hi there, thank you for reply, i can so relate to what you are doing, that was me i would go to bed with my feet high on pillows and wake up in the same position, and my toes would be all small and good, then as soon as i walked on them up came the big fat sausage toes again, yes that is a good ideal with the asprin, and yes i have been usig arnica gel for some time now, its such an old healing method but it does so work, my scars have healed well, but i do still have a stitch left in each foot as they were too painful to take out and i told the nurse to leave them, i did mention it to the surgeon he said they will come out on their ow in time... five months down the line they are still there but there is no sign of any infection or sorness with them thank god, keep up your good work too and keep strong, best wishes for you too xx
  • Posted

In addition that people heals in different ways, it has to be the way the surgery was perfomed.  The cuts in my surgery looked as if were done with a fork.  They look terrible. 
  • Posted

Hello Gillee,

What a fantastic post and such brilliant news for you. I,m really happy for you. Long may it continue. I,m sure you will reach a point soon where you can put all this behind you and really enjoy your life again.😀😀😀😀

i am 7 weeks post op and am up and down. Feel a little low right now as am going to a wedding this weekend and  was hoping I could wear a nice pair of shoes but no.Had to buy a pair of wide flats that don,t look great with the dress I,ll be wearing😂. Also since having the bandages removed and not wearing the surgical boot anymore my back  went into spasm and has left me with terrible backache.Anyway I returned to work last week on reduced hours so was quite nice to get back to some kind of normality even though by the end of my shift my foot was pretty swollen.

• Posted

Sorry Gillee pressed reply when I hadn,t signed off.

Thank you again for your great post. Keep in touch and here's to happy feet😀😀😀😀😀

much love.xxx

• Posted

hi Carole x thank you for your reply, yes i feel like i am getting there, but i know i have at least another 7 months or so before i am walking without thinking... toes, bones, pins, screws.. seems to be inprinted in my brain at the mo, i so know how you feel with the wedding, on my recent holiday the crowd we went with would get dressed for the evening, lovely dresses, great shoes.. and great toes (which i could of screamed)..... me.. primark house slippers with the toes cut out... !!!! we went into Marbella one evening, the heat made my feet and ankles swell really bad, so i had to go into a wheelchair... so everyone looks like something out of the only way is essex and theres me in houseslippers with big fat sausage toes poking out.... and to top it all i nearly ended up in a fish pond in the wheelchair... my partner mis judged the road.... i can laugh about it now, but the thought of floating with the fish with my house slippers on and the wheelchair on my head just made me say... i want to go home lol.... hence when we landed back in London, the wind and the rain was lovely and kind to the feet too... but i must say when i did try to walk for a while my back really hurt like a pulling burning pain, maybe its due to the way we are walking at the moment.... i am sitting with my feet up right now as i have been out food shopping and the toe have swollen... but i am getting used to it i must say... normality is not far away for us both i am sure.... take care and keep me posted to how you are getting on, that down feeling is so horrible i know, if i was not crying i was eating, its a vicious circle.... but i am always here carole if you want a chat or just to let off steam.... keep strong and postive xx
    • Posted

Gillee you have brought a smile to my face.😀😀I have this image of you in a wheelchair nearly ending up in a fish pond in your primark cut out slippers.😀😀

A friend lent me a wheelchair and my husband took me to our local pub a couple of times.  The nurse said I was becoming house depressed so the wheelchair enabled me to get out. It was a godsend as is this site.

Keep smiling.😀😀😀😀😀xx

• Posted

Hi  Gillee so pleased you are much better, I was getting worried about you. I am 4 1/2 months on one foot and 11 weeks on the other. Both feet have a long way to go, but I too am driving and have returned to work in my "trendy" velcro sandals. Still not sure whether screws need removing, ill find out on my follow up. Give it a few more months and hopefully we will have fully recovered. Take care, Denise x
    • Posted

Hi Denise x thank you for replying, glad to hear you are driving and back to work, at least thats some normality showing its face, keep me posted as to how you get on with the screws, ohoooo i know how you feel with the trendy velcros... i still can not get any form of trainer on, i am not a trainer person but the house slippers with the toes cut out have had to go due to the wet weather we are having in London, so i am wearing a soft running shoe at the moment but hate every min of it... with my recent holiday to Marbella... all my friends were dressed in lovely dresses and shoes and me..... cut out house slippers and i had to go into a wheelchair as the heat made the toes and ankles swell so much.... and to top it all i nearly ended up in a big fish pond as my partner mis judged the road..... we did scream with laughter i must admit.... i was glad to get back to cold windy london i must say... its a long recovery as we know i guess patience is needed.... but as soon as i can get a decent shoe on... out the window goes the big wide velcros for sure... lol... take care denise and keep in touch xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.