Five weeks on from TKR and still cant straighten and lift leg

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a TKR with knee cap 5 weeks ago. Due to see my surgeon next week. At physio my PT is concerned because I cannot totally straighten leg and can not lift it off the bed. My bend is about 85 -90. I am mid 50s and was extremely fit beforehand and had strong legs from horse riding. I have been fitted with a new type knee Attune. I exercise several times a day and can't understand why I am not improving. I expected to be doing a lot more by now and my PT has said I need to reach a certain goal by 6 weeks which I know now is not going to happen!. Any advise gratefully received!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have also been told to walk with two crutches as my knee does not lock when I walk and that unless I get it straighter I cannot walk unaided.

• Posted

I was using two for 8 weeks, at 6 I started using just one around the house.
  • Posted

I finally managed to lift my leg off the bed at four weeks but it was very hard and it took a few more weeks for it to be done with ease.

It is very hard to keep on trying something and I do remember feeling anxious about it.

My physio told me not to worry and that it would come, and also that it is not that uncommon.

Are you in UK and are you getting weekly physio?

It's good you are seeing surgeon.

Keep on doing your exercises and try not to be discouraged.

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. It has a lot of useful suggestions and information. Hopefully it might be useful to you.

• Posted

Hi Jenny, Yes I am in the UK and am getting weekly physio. I have however, increased to twice weekly for the next few weeks in an effort to get to the 6 week goals! I will have a look at your journal, any advise or encouragement helps, at least I know other people are going through it too and not everyone is running and dancing at 6 weeks! Before I found this forum I thought I was the only one struggling!
  • Posted

Hi Teela - I am in similar position. Am 47 years old and had strong legs from riding horses 🙂 I am four weeks out and struggling with range of motion. Only at 75 degrees and can’t quite straighten. I’m nowhere near where the older folks in physio are. My doctor, nurse, and PT all told me it’s a more difficult recovery for younger people. My therapist says nobody quite knows why but she thinks possibly due to stronger, tighter muscles that are protecting knee....? She’s not sure. 

I too am worried about my progress. I’ve rented a CPM (continuous passive motion) machine and it’s helping with ROM but will see when I’m measured today....are you able to rent one of these? I know I’m not going to meet the lofty (for me!) goals that they have set for 6 weeks.....and am worried that I’ll end up needing to be put under anesthesia for manipulation..... 😕

I’ve been told to be patient and that everyone recovers at their own pace. Some take three or more months to reach their goals. I am holding onto that! A marathon, not a race....just wishing the had same mindset at physio! 

Just keep up with your exercises, take advantage of stationary bike at physio too.....have they given you any extra exercises for straightening? Mine have told me to put heel on coffee table for ten minutes and let it slowly settle into being straighter.....as well to put some weight on the knee (I use ice sometimes to do that...)

Good luck - you aren’t alone!

• Posted

I rest my heel on the coffee table and put an oven glove with a tin of bans in each side over my leg to weigh it down. My leg is pretty straight but still struggling with flexion. I'm lucky if I get 90 degrees. I've got 5 weeks to get this improved otherwise it's manipulation. It was really swollen today can't believe it's still swelling at 8 weeks 

• Posted

Hi Amy - Yes I thought that because I was fit...looking after and riding 3 horses I expected to recover and progress very quickly. I could not understand that people 20- 30 years older who were inactive were having better and quicker recoveries! I am excercising every hour or so. I have a stationery bicyle but can only rock it as don't have enough ROM to go all the way round. Trying to straighten leg is excrutiating. I have no pain when not excercising but I am keeping up the meds to avoid it hurtuing too much when I do try. I thought I managed to lift my leg in bed last night. did it about 15 times and woke this morning feeling upbeat ( first time in 5 weeks) thinking I had finally turned the corner.....however, after trying all day my leg will not lift unless i bend my knee. I have two physio sessions before consultant so fingers crossed for a bit of improvement.

• Posted

One more thing - I know a girl who couldn’t lift her leg either for a long time - they thought maybe thigh muscle had detached a bit or something. Surgeon told her not to worry and that it would work when it was ready to. And he was right - one day she was suddenly able to lift her leg - and it continued to work after that as if nothing had ever happened! 😊 

• Posted

I am 50 and 10 weeks post TKR.  I was also having problems lifting my leg as muscles (quad) just wouldn’t switch on.  Used a scarf to lift my leg up, which wasn’t helping in the long run!  Managed after 4/5 weeks with hard work to get the muscles working.  Admittedly I haven’t got a good bend, they do say us ‘youngsters’ can have a more difficult recovery and I do know I might have to have manipulation but for now I’m doing ok.  Have faith, work hard and I’m sure it will all work out. Best Wishes.
    • Posted

There's definitely a pattern forming with the youngsters having problems with the bend. I don't get it, I try really hard every day trying to bend it, heel slides in bed using a scarf to pull my foot nearer to my bum, I've started laying on my front with a scarf tied round my ankle pulling my foot towards my bum, squats, stationary cycling lowering the seat when i can, foot slides using a baking tray to reduce friction and putting a belt around my ankle to help pull it back. I've even gone to a health club to use their jacuzzi doing exercises in warm water. I still haven't shown any improvement over past 3 weeks just stuck at 80 to 90 degrees.......I don't get it!!

• Posted

Hi, I’m exactly the same, 50 & stuck around 90 degrees at 9 weeks, very frustrating!!!  Am currently trying to pedal a stationary bike but can only pedal standing up.  I figure that’s my measure, when I can cycle, my bend has improved. Good luck & let me know how you’re getting on.

• Posted

Yep definite pattern. I try hard too and always keep up on exercises.....but it’s like my leg is stuck. At physio today I was using sliding board and PT was trying to push it further and it wouldn’t go very much. She asked what was stopping it, pain or something else? I said sometimes pain but sometimes it just won’t budge - except on CPM machine. Which also hurts but at least bends.....to 90-95 degrees right now (alone I have 70-75 degrees only). So she still wonders if it’s in my head telling my muscle to protect knee.....or.....if it’s stronger muscle not relaxing.......or? I do worry that manipulation will be necessary and I really don’t want it! Sigh.....

At least we aren’t alone in this (though at physio I am...) So glad that I found this site! 😊

• Posted

I had a TKR in mid July this year and am still using two crutches. I  have had 3 infections on my calf of the leg operated on (right) since the op, each time I was given Antibiotics which cleared up the infection but the infection would come back after 2 or 3 weeks. After having my last lot of antibiotics i was clear of infection for nearly 4 weeks now I have signs of the infection returning again. I'll be calling the GP tomorrow morning. Surely this cant keep going on ? I'm afraid that the infection might turn into an Ulcer /Septic.Sorry this message isn't of help to anyone . I don't know of anyone else getting such infections i'm just a one off. Keep smiling Ya'all.

• Posted

I have to say getting an infection was my worst fear, I watch my wound like a hawk and God help anybody that came near it without using an aseptic technique 😂. When you say you have an infection in your calf what is it like cellulitis a hot red patch are you sure it's in connection with your TKR ? Good luck getting it cleared up X 

• Posted

Hi Teela

You should Google Attune knee as there are some not so good words about this make. Do not know which model number Attune knee you have, but the items mention a recall of faulty knee joints.

Sorry good healing

• Posted

Hi Clive, apparently I have been fitted with the newer model and my consultant had to have a company rep down to oversee the op as he had never fitted one before, so I am hoping that my model is not one that was recalled. I do have the stickers from the parts though so who do I contact to find out if this is the case?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.